Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV boots throwing grease after lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV boots throwing grease after lift

My CV boots are now throwing grease after I got my Cornfed spacers installed...It's quite a bit of grease actually. Not sure what I should do about it...

I've attached some pics to show whats goin on.

Fink
Attached Thumbnails CV boots throwing grease after lift-image002.jpg   CV boots throwing grease after lift-image014.jpg   CV boots throwing grease after lift-image010.jpg  
Old 12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Common problem...zip ties or hose clamp. Try searching.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I did some searching and found some stuff about that but wasnt sure if it was common with the Cornfeds.

So should I just clean the grease off and then wrap a big a$$ zip tie around it?

Thanks for the response Robin.

Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

I did a search and found nothing about zip ties or anything...I'm guess I just put the zip tie against the metal ring thats there and be done with it?

What should I use to clean it with, rag and then some degreaser or just wipe it off enough to see what I'm doing and slap it on?

Thanks,

Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Fink

As stated in my other post on your other thread.

I had the same issue... not as much grease came out though... I pryed off the stock clamps... Wiped it down and used a hose clamp...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Did you do a diff drop?
I'd suggest taking care of that immediately after you fix this problem before the other CV gives you crap.

Clean it with a rag and get some hose clamps. Careful with the clamps though, I'd think that the edges might want to cut into the rubber...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Did you do a diff drop?
I'd suggest taking care of that immediately after you fix this problem before the other CV gives you crap.

Clean it with a rag and get some hose clamps. Careful with the clamps though, I'd think that the edges might want to cut into the rubber...
I 2nd the diff drop and they make clamps without the slits in them to cut into the rubber.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

I third the diff drop. I didnt do my diff drop after installing my old OME 881s and it fling grease like a monkey throws poo!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:48 PM

According to his profile he has the diff drop kit. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/finks-profile-99-highlander-65390/

I am beginning to worry, cause I am doing a similar lift probally within a week.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have the diff drop that came with the Cornfeds...still throwing grease. Do I need to replenish the grease that came out of the CV boots? I am getting a tie rod replaced on Monday so maybe I can get under there while its back in the back and check it out, if it needs more grease I could have them do it while its up on the lift.

I talked to Jason B. and he thought something was installed wrong. But it drives fine, no weird noises while turning or anything.

Think I should wait til Monday, get some clamps over the weekend and take care of it while its at the dealer up on the lift?

Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I have the diff drop that came with the Cornfeds...still throwing grease. Do I need to replenish the grease that came out of the CV boots? I am getting a tie rod replaced on Monday so maybe I can get under there while its back in the back and check it out, if it needs more grease I could have them do it while its up on the lift.

I talked to Jason B. and he thought something was installed wrong. But it drives fine, no weird noises while turning or anything.

Think I should wait til Monday, get some clamps over the weekend and take care of it while its at the dealer up on the lift?

Fink
hmm..thats wierd! The diff drop was 1"? Maybe the lift gave me more and you just need to go wheel the piss out of it until everything settles? Thats what happened to me.

As for the grease....I dont think u can just throw some on there w/o ripping the boot...i may (probably) be wrong. mind as well get the boots replaced while the do the tie rods no?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM

I would imagine you should probally get the clamps ASAP unless you dont plan driving it until your garage appointment. I think I will go ahead and invest in some before I lift mine...please let me know what kind you use and snap a pic. Let us know how it goes bro! - Good luck.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Can I get a bigger diff drop maybe? I doubt it will settle very much seein as how they're just spacers.

So what kind of clamps do I need to get in order for them not to rip the rubber?

Thanks, I'll try and get the clamps on as soon as possible.

Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

Can I get a bigger diff drop maybe? I doubt it will settle very much seein as how they're just spacers.

So what kind of clamps do I need to get in order for them not to rip the rubber?

Thanks, I'll try and get the clamps on as soon as possible.

Fink
I dont think u can get more than 1" or it would cancel the clearance of the lift.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
ORB

My CV boots are now throwing grease after I got my Cornfed spacers installed...It's quite a bit of grease actually. Not sure what I should do about it...

I've attached some pics to show whats goin on.

Fink
Well, your cv boots were spinning at one height for the last 6 years (assuming they haven't been changed yet), and now they are at a new angle. I would imagine the rubber may have tiny stress cracks, or like others have said, the clamp is loose. I would suggest just replacing the boots, and make sure the clamps are tight before you put the cv axle back in, it's a cheap fix.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM
ORB

I *think* it was determined that the diff could only be dropped so far, and that while there are benefits, it will not bring your angles back to stock. Some people don't even use them. Also, spacers can sometimes cause coils to sag.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ORB
I would suggest just replacing the boots, and make sure the clamps are tight before you put the cv axle back in, it's a cheap fix.
And, if you decide to replace the boots (seconded btw!) then get the replacement kit from the dealer. They're like $40 (per side), come with inner and outter boots and the correct grease for each.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-09-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

They will settle. Mine settled probably about 3/4-1"
Old 12-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well seeing as I have no idea how to replace the boots myself I may just have them replace the boots while it's in the shop for the tie rod. I don't have the garage space to do it in as I live in an apartment.

So as of now, I'll get the driver-side tie rod end replaced, both CV boots replaced and I'll have some hose clamps with me as reinforcements in case we don't think the OEM clamps don't hold.

What size and what type of hose clamps should I bring with me to the dealership on Monday? I guess I will tell them to just replace the stock clamps with the hose clamps. I just hope they don't rip through the rubber.

Let me know the best kind of hose clamps to get so they don't rip the boots.

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

I know they make hose clamps for fuel lines so they won't tear the line...its just one solid band all the way around with a screw and nut to tighten. Just ask them at the auto parts store for some clamps that will tighten and not tear the rubber.

Quick Reply: CV boots throwing grease after lift