Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruiser coils and panhard

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the engineering either, but it seems like there shouldn't be a difference between a bent rod and a straight rod. The distance between the pivot points on the axle and on the panhard bracket should be exactly the same in either case, if the axle is centered under the vehicle. If you compared the length of a straight bar and the length between the two heims on a bent bar (in a straight line, ignoring the s-curve, they should be the same). As far as drop bracket versus a lengthened bar (S or straight), there is a difference due to the upper pivot point being lowered by three inches relative to the stock location. Does this make sense or is am I talking out my ass? I've yet to anything after the lift, but am thinking about a longer rod at the moment (huh, huh huh huh, huh, I said "rod").
Old 10-15-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The geometry is pretty straightforward about hypotenuse extension, but there seems to be more than that. There is roll axis and another thing that escapes me that also influence how the truck wheels and does or does not rub.

I would drop it to get it in the ball park and then see what added length would do.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
I'm not sure I understand the engineering either, but it seems like there shouldn't be a difference between a bent rod and a straight rod. The distance between the pivot points on the axle and on the panhard bracket should be exactly the same in either case, if the axle is centered under the vehicle. If you compared the length of a straight bar and the length between the two heims on a bent bar (in a straight line, ignoring the s-curve, they should be the same).
Yup, you're right. As far as how the suspension moves a straight or bent panhard doesn't make a difference as long as they're the same length. The only reason you would need to put a bend in it is if you need clearance or you want the rod ends in a certain orientation. A bent rod will also flex more.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
If you are serious about uppers, I still have the one that was not used because of the bent one that has one heim. It is adjustable from stock to 1.5" over.
Not sure what you have ?
- A Rubicon SuperFlex Joint ?
- An OEM Uper Arm ?
- An AP Upper Arm ?
- A custom upper arm ?

I'm a little slow.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 AM

I think he has Spidertrax arms.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Not sure what you have ?
- A Rubicon SuperFlex Joint ?
- An OEM Uper Arm ?
- An AP Upper Arm ?
- A custom upper arm ?

I'm a little slow.
I belive he has custom upper arms with hiems at both ends, and custom lower arms with a RE joint at one end and a hiem on the other end?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 AM

Yeah, I have Spidertrax arms. I have been without reliable computer for a while.

I have an upper arm with one heim in and a bung for another heim that would be perfect for this operation. I did not use it because I needed a bent arm on one side.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM

I have an upper arm with one heim in and a bung for another heim that would be perfect for this operation. I did not use it because I needed a bent arm on one side.
I don’t understand 'a bung for another heim'. Does that mean it is not a complete arm? Would I just need to buy a std. heim to make it operational?

I think I’m interested (pending above questions), but I am extremely tied up at work for the next 2 weeks and busy making necessary mods for a trip in 3 weeks. May be a little slow in response. What do you want for it?

Thanks all for the Interim responses
Old 10-21-2004, 02:00 PM

It lacks one heim to make it complete. We had to rob the heim to go in the bent arm.

The arm I was offering, looking left to right, goes as follows:
Heim, bung, tube, bung, nothing.

If you want/need it, I will dig it up and check to see if the one is right or left hand thread and advise you accordingly.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:25 PM

If you want/need it, I will dig it up and check to see if the one is right or left hand thread and advise you accordingly.
I get it, I am more than a little slow these days.

No Need to check the thread pitch. What ($$) do you want for it ?