Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruiser coils or ome lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruiser coils or ome lift?

I've been searching the posts here for a while and I qute confused. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the OME lift for my 94 t4r or do the cruiser coil setup. Any insight would be stellar! Thanks ROB
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

I bought the OME lift from TRDparts4u and it was nice, but I found myself wanting more.

If you wheel a lot, I would consider the SAS (if you have the funds). I've already found it to be invaluable compared to the stock IFS. I still have the OME coils in back with spacers, and the height just isn't enough to match the 4" leafs on the SAS up front.

But, if you're lookin to keep stock suspension, the TRDparts4u OME lift kit is a good, easy way to go.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I've been searching the posts here for a while and I qute confused. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the OME lift for my 94 t4r or do the cruiser coil setup. Any insight would be stellar! Thanks ROB
Check this thread out.

I have the cruiser coils and i like them a lot. I really just need to relax the front a little bit more because if you go with LC coils, you WILL have a rake to your truck unless you're willing to pay for your front end getting destroyed all the time just because you want an even ride height. It's not too bad though.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 PM

ome vs cruiser coils

I think I read somewhere that lexus LX rear coils are slightly shorter (1/2") than the standard cruiser coils. The truck is a daily driver and I am doing a road trip to ft meyers @ the end of nov w/ my g/f so the less complications ie broken stuff is very appealing to me. From the pics Ive seen of 4rnrs w/ the ome kit they just appear to be leveled out which is rather dull. I want something w/ a little more "balls" than a level 4rnr but can't do a SAS right now. The thread that you put a link to is excellent but it didn;t cover all the questions I had (have). Also when you talk about killing the front end what exactly is getting fubar'd? This is my first 4wd that requires any "thought" to lift. (previously owned an 83 cruiser w/ 3" shackles). I'm sorry if Im bringing up things already covered but I can only afford to do this once and do it right. I am capable of doing light fab work in my garage but can;t afford much downtime tho. Thanks for helping! ROB
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Cruiser
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM

I think I read somewhere that lexus LX rear coils are slightly shorter (1/2") than the standard cruiser coils. The truck is a daily driver and I am doing a road trip to ft meyers @ the end of nov w/ my g/f so the less complications ie broken stuff is very appealing to me. From the pics Ive seen of 4rnrs w/ the ome kit they just appear to be leveled out which is rather dull. I want something w/ a little more "balls" than a level 4rnr but can't do a SAS right now. The thread that you put a link to is excellent but it didn;t cover all the questions I had (have). Also when you talk about killing the front end what exactly is getting fubar'd? This is my first 4wd that requires any "thought" to lift. (previously owned an 83 cruiser w/ 3" shackles). I'm sorry if Im bringing up things already covered but I can only afford to do this once and do it right. I am capable of doing light fab work in my garage but can;t afford much downtime tho. Thanks for helping! ROB
Well, steering components mostly (tie rods, idler arm, etc.), atleast thats what i've had problems with. If you go with the cruiser coils manual hubs are basically a must or else you'll get a lot of wear on your cv boots just from driving around town (trust me mine were originally at a horrible angle).

I'm not telling you to not go with the cruisers, i'm actually for them, I'm just saying you'll need to do a little extra work.

Here's what I would get if putting this on a stock 4runner:
-LC Shortside Coils
-Panhard drop bracket
-Idler arm brace
-Some sort of IFS truss (preferably sonoran steel if you can get in on one of
the buys)
-Ball Joint Spacers
-Rancho 5009's or 9009's (the 9000's are adjustable)
-OME N98s
-Manual Hubs

If anyone else has any suggestions..go ahead.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 AM

LC shortside coils?

Is there a pn available for the LC "shortside" coils? Also who is a recommended supplier of the "hard parts" I'm gonna need. The shocks are no prob for me to get. Just not sure about where to get the hubs (I can get warn hubs locally no prob.) or the panhard bar bracket etc. My goal is to build a relatively competant trail truck that won't be a PITA on the road. I guess after the lift is done I'm gonna need some sort of of sliders so my g/f can get in the truck( shes only 5ft tall), but thats for a different post. Also any idea about how much this will set me back ie. money and time? Thanks again--ROB
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Is there a pn available for the LC "shortside" coils? Also who is a recommended supplier of the "hard parts" I'm gonna need. The shocks are no prob for me to get. Just not sure about where to get the hubs (I can get warn hubs locally no prob.) or the panhard bar bracket etc. My goal is to build a relatively competant trail truck that won't be a PITA on the road. I guess after the lift is done I'm gonna need some sort of of sliders so my g/f can get in the truck( shes only 5ft tall), but thats for a different post. Also any idea about how much this will set me back ie. money and time? Thanks again--ROB
Not sure on the pn for the coils, just look on ih8mud for some used ones. wabfab sells manual hubs that he's cleaned up and they're like new. Panhard bracket can be found from 4crawler. Idler arm brace can be found from downey and i think allpro (i still need to order one myself). I know exactly what you mean about the short girlfriend, mine's 5'2" so she has to jump haha.

Just to let you know, once you put the coils on, don't be surprised if you have 4+ inches of lift. Mine sagged about an inch after the first two weeks. Just remember, don't crank the tbars over the 1.5" from the ball joint spacers.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM

cruiser springs

Stupid question... I am hunting for front or rear fj80 springs? Saw a guy on Ih8mud that was looking for front springs for his 97 4rnr... just making sure which ones I need to get before a buy them. Also if I don;t do the manual hubs right away are my cvs gonna self destruct imediatly? or will they break under offroad conditions or will driving 3k+ miles to ft meyers and back destroy them? thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Stupid question... I am hunting for front or rear fj80 springs? Saw a guy on Ih8mud that was looking for front springs for his 97 4rnr... just making sure which ones I need to get before a buy them. Also if I don;t do the manual hubs right away are my cvs gonna self destruct imediatly? or will they break under offroad conditions or will driving 3k+ miles to ft meyers and back destroy them? thanks
You want the rear springs, the fronts work for the 3rd gens. You'll be fine with them just on the highway...but I would get them asap
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 AM

springs

Awesome! My cruiser springs will be in the mail in a few days! Thanks for the help... Im sure Im gonna need more! --ROB