Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest way for suspension lift on ifs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheapest way for suspension lift on ifs

Hey im looking to lift my 4runner and have got alot of mixed answers about suspensions and im looking for the easy and cheapest way to lift my truck up. I dont want a body lift if i have to then small but i rather do itin the suspension. I got a set of shackles form a parts store for the rear to kill the sag and it went up higher then the front and i am just sayin screw it all its time to just lift it. I was thinking 33's but wouldnt be against a 35 if i can get up that high.Im not crazy rock crawler or anything just do mild wheeling and its more or less for a better looking truck and maybe a little help on the trails. As of now its perfect for what i do. I dont drive the truck that much it is my daily but i put about 3,000 miles on it every 6months if im lucky. its turboed so theres enough power to turn bigger wheels and tires im sure. Any help would be great....and as always pics are good too.

Thanks
Russell

my rig as of now with the 31's on it...i want new wheels too
Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 AM

the cheapest would prolly be blocks in the rear and crank the t-bars in the front, but neither of those is such a good idea.

i'd suggest an add-a-leaf (aal) in the back and ball joint spacers in the front. that setup won't be too expensive and won't cause problems like cranking the t-bars (crappy ride and loss of what little flex IFS has) and blocks (axle wrap) do.

here is a link for the ball joint spacers:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

there are several brands of aal available.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54794
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
downey rear springs www.downeyoff-road.com

stock torsion bars

ball joint spacers
Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 AM

thanks guys i have a few questions about each set up tho..

with the t bar and block set up- what would be the biggest tire i could run on there. also how high can it really go? this is the first time i have ever heard of anything bad with blocks does it happen that often i plan on buying a real lift later down the road right now i need tires and wanted to get something bigger and change the look of the truck.

the kit thats advertised looks great but the spring has me lost my truck doesnt have springs *scratch head*

The downy kits i hear are expensive(correct me if im wrong) but wouldnt a rough country lift be cheaper then that?

Im really looking for cheap i guess im looking at it like its a temp thing.I like the truck and i would like to put a new twist on it cause i will be driving it this winter.Next summer when i can drive my corrado more i will park the runner and go crazy on it.I just did a full motor rebuild and build to it so funds are short. It would be nice to get tires and wheels at the same time....thanks guys lots of good info here the balljoint spacers is new and i think its a cool idea i like it more then the t bar crank.

OH how high can i go before i need to change things like brake lines and driveshafts or steering parts? mainly brake lines and driveshafts cause i cant see the amount of lift were talking about to need that (again correct me if im wrong)

Russell
Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some lift vs. tire size info:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

You might be able to fit a 33x10.50 tire if you are willing to do some fender trimming/hammering.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 AM

just cut the fenders......
35's no lift only rub is full turn on the frame.

although those are some nice looking fenders

Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

I really think it would be a waste of money to do it now then go back and do everything different. From personal expereince, I was new to 4wheeling once, and I wanted the cheapest way out if possible, and everybody does. But You usually get what you pay for, and when it comes to this kind of thing, a mistake in purchasing something is often a major one. If anything, get a smaller tire, drive it this winter, sell them (they'll still have lots of tread, unless you drive some ridiculous amount) and do a lift the right way (no blocks, something better than a T-bar crank).
Old 10-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Blocks cause axle wrap, offer no travel, and can be spit out of the u bolt

Up to 2 inches of lift you wouldn't need to replace any of the brakelines or driveshafts.

The cheapest most effective lift available is the one I mentioned above.

Bj spacers....1.5" lift, a 1.5" more travel, and it doesn't stiffen the ride, buy it from 4crawler They cost about 109.00

Stay with your stock torsion bars to get a decent ride, do be fooled into upgrading to thicker bars....not worth it.

For the rear I would reccomend a full downey spring pack. They will give you lift, more travel, and better ride. You can get them in 2" and 3" and my 3" pair of spring packs only cost me 168.00 gerat bang for the buck.

DOn't fool with blocks, add a leafs, or shackles....do it right and get a spring pack.

The only other thing you will need is some longer shocks. Gte a set of Procomp es3000 shocks. Something like 50.00 a pair

so...

109.00 + 5.00 shipping for BJ spacers
168.00 + shipping for springs
and about 100.00 for shocks

That puts you around 400.00 and you get a very functional suspension lift. Plus, these are all very easy to install by yourself at home if you have any mechanical inclination. WIth this lift and some minor trimming, I think you could easily run 33x10.50's and maybe 33x12.50's with slight rubbing.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:33 AM

ok thanks guys...Im waiting now to find out what happens with a local guy i have been talking to.Wants to sell me a full lift he said its got arms shocks and springs,everything i need to go up right around 4 inches he said there are a few things i can do to go up more but i didnt get in to it much cause 4 inches would be fine....i took a few new pics now that i pulled the old bambi basher off and put the pre runner bar on . Thanks guys

Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM

4 inches with arms? is he talking about a long travel kit? that will be some money if so.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My advice would be to go with a functional but mild lift from 4crawler and smaller tires to start. I would seriously consider regearing the truck before going above 32's. That turbo will only serve to waste clutches. Trust me, if you go with 33's or 35's, you'll have your foot on the floor all the time and seriously shorten engine life.

Frank
Old 10-23-2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
4 inches with arms? is he talking about a long travel kit? that will be some money if so.

Well the lift is a guys who did a SAS and wants to sell it cheap so for the price it would be cheaper then the other ideas.im thinking gears need to happen too.....will 35's even fit tho?I have talked to locals and they all say yes but will rub others say no way in hell
Old 10-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

A buddy ran 35s on his '92 pickup with a 4" Superlift IFS lift kit and a 2" body lift:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 AM

4crawler....what backspacing will i need to do that? and you wouldnt know where i could pick up a set of wheels like he has in this pic would you ????I love em there simple and clean and i cant find a set anywhere! Im new so any pointers would be great
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/hottoy/west/Dusy057.jpg
Old 10-24-2005, 03:32 AM

OOPS i just read about the back spacing...*foot in mouth* thanks for the link and any help you might be able to lend with finding a set of wheels like those. I have the option to buy a set of 5 35/12.5/15's right now but want new wheels first.I found a guy to buy my old 31's and wheels already
Old 10-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

American Racing wheels, 15x8. Several styles available:
http://www.americanracing.com/
4.5"-4.75" backspacing, i.e. as close to stock as you can get, keeps the wheels and tires tucked in close to the truck and minimizes tha amount of lift needed to clear the tire w/o rubbing.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM

i would say aal (or shackles) and ball joint spacers.

want to sell me your wheels now? lol minus tires.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:25 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
If you want to go wheeling and not rub like crazy - 4" lift will fit 33s. 35s will rub.
Been there. My first gen 4" lift settled into 3 1/2" and my 33s on 15x8 would *just* barely rub under the most extreme torture (pinch weld hammered flat of course.) With the 90, 4" plus 3" and I can make the 35s rub if I try hard enough, but only at full lock.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eric DeCastro
i would say aal (or shackles) and ball joint spacers.

want to sell me your wheels now? lol minus tires.

My corrado wheels or the 4runner ones???I saw you had a corrado...if you need parts let me know i have a corrrado stuff like crazy and could use more money....pricced the gears and locker todaylol

Quick Reply: cheapest way for suspension lift on ifs