Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?

My friend recently installed this in his lada niva-not a Toyota but the principle is the same.

He installed two handbrakes-one for each rear wheel so when one wheel loses traction he pulls the handbrake and there you go -we tried it and works like a charm-same principle the mercedes ml uses-little more primitive but same.
I own 89 4 runner and ARB air locker is too expensive for me and no other lock is avalible in my country-so I'm planning to do the handbrake mod soon.
What do you think-can it be done?

PS.Sorry about gramatics
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

GhettoFABulous. Where are you going to mount the extra handle? So basically you're applying the break to the spinning wheel thats off the ground in order to "fool" the diff into powering the other wheel?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Seems easier just to apply the stock handbrake and leave it engaged a few clicks, would probably work almost as well by putting some resistance on both tires- the poor man's locker. How would you know which wheel is spinning? Trying to drive and apply the right hand brake seems kind of tricky to me, but is an interesting idea.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:18 PM

WOW weird but would work in theory I guess. Kinda like playing nintendo with your brakes.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by smiljko
My friend recently installed this in his lada niva-not a Toyota but the principle is the same.

He installed two handbrakes-one for each rear wheel so when one wheel loses traction he pulls the handbrake and there you go -we tried it and works like a charm-same principle the mercedes ml uses-little more primitive but same.
I own 89 4 runner and ARB air locker is too expensive for me and no other lock is avalible in my country-so I'm planning to do the handbrake mod soon.
What do you think-can it be done?

PS.Sorry about gramatics
What you have reinvented are called "Steering Brakes". When I was into Baja Bugs, you weren't set up if your didn't have them. For the bugs, there were two different types, cable and hydraulic, but both did exactly what you are describing. Not only could they be used to lock up a wheel that was spinning, but they could also be used while driving to kick the rear end around in a turn.

It will work, but be REALLY careful if you use them for turning. Applying one of the steering brakes too fast is a invitation to roll over.

I will be interested in hearing how you implement it. On my truck, there is only one cable going to the back, then it hooks into a cable that parallels the axle to activate both ebrakes. You are going to have some fun fabricating mounts and routing two cables, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:52 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You can coax even an open diff into providing more traction by just putting your left foot on the brake. (You need to learn this technique to get full use out of a conventional limited slip too...)

If you don't have a console or don't mind altering yours, the handbrake handle idea isn't too bad. Problem is knowing which wheel is spinning... Mount the handles to the floor between the seats, run two cables - one to each brake. Leave the stock park brake alone. With a little ingenuity it shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
If you don't have a console or don't mind altering yours, the handbrake handle idea isn't too bad. Problem is knowing which wheel is spinning... Mount the handles to the floor between the seats, run two cables - one to each brake. Leave the stock park brake alone. With a little ingenuity it shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Great idea-I just need to find a propriate place for the handles-on a Lada it was much more easily done because it didn't have center console and the handbrake is between seats.I dont wan't to get rid of the center console on my yota because I realy like the elbow rest.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
How would you know which wheel is spinning? Trying to drive and apply the right hand brake seems kind of tricky to me, but is an interesting idea.
I'm not going to use it while driving but when I get stuck,so I 'll be able to se which wheel is giving me trouble.

Last edited by smiljko; 11-19-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:41 PM

I got plans to do just that on my 84 Rock Project. Independent ebrakes for turnin round rocks and making the gate without hitting a cone or having to take 2 points for backing up. Not for brake biasing though. Have you considered having a YT member buy and send ya a lunchbox locker or is that not cost feasable either? How much is an ARB locker in Croatia?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by SloPoke
I got plans to do just that on my 84 Rock Project. Independent ebrakes for turnin round rocks and making the gate without hitting a cone or having to take 2 points for backing up. Not for brake biasing though. Have you considered having a YT member buy and send ya a lunchbox locker or is that not cost feasable either? How much is an ARB locker in Croatia?
About 1200$ which is beyond my budget because I just had a head job done, and I would like to buy OME suspension first( at least rear springs which are sagging). 2 leaf springs,4 nitrocharger shocks,and steering stabilizer cost about 1200$-what do you think about that??
Old 11-24-2004, 06:30 AM

1200 for the locker?? Is that just one locker or locker and compressor, or both lockers and compressor?

ARB's run about $600-650 for the locker (each) and $200-300 for the compressor (depending on whit ones you go with). All uninstalled prices. You can get cheaper compressors though. The one I built for my buddies ARB front locker is out of a Lincoln Continentals air ride system. Total cost for complete install of the compressor was about $50 and that's switch, fittings, lines, the whole 9 yards. Only does the locker though. Nothing else. Does a great job too.

A pair of OME leafs run about $350 a pair. Nitro shocks can be had for $70 or so each. (More if you like) Add another $70 for the stabilizer and your up to 700-750. Add shipping and you won't be far off your price. Specially if yours in an installed price. Seems things are a bit higher over there but not enough higher to justify gettin' stuff shipped in from the states.

Got any Croatian wheelin' pics??? :bounce2:
Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 PM

One word................ Welded
Old 11-25-2004, 07:43 AM

1200 for the locker?? Is that just one locker or locker and compressor, or both lockers and compressor?

ARB's run about $600-650 for the locker (each) and $200-300 for the compressor (depending on whit ones you go with). All uninstalled prices. You can get cheaper compressors though. The one I built for my buddies ARB front locker is out of a Lincoln Continentals air ride system. Total cost for complete install of the compressor was about $50 and that's switch, fittings, lines, the whole 9 yards. Only does the locker though. Nothing else. Does a great job too.

A pair of OME leafs run about $350 a pair. Nitro shocks can be had for $70 or so each. (More if you like) Add another $70 for the stabilizer and your up to 700-750. Add shipping and you won't be far off your price. Specially if yours in an installed price. Seems things are a bit higher over there but not enough higher to justify gettin' stuff shipped in from the states.

Got any Croatian wheelin' pics??? :bounce2:

Parts are more expensive because of high taxes,customs etc. , but service is much cheaper from what I see in the forum.
The prices above are without instalation ,but that's minor to what the suspension parts cost.And there are salary problems- good salary in Croatia is about 1000$ and what is apsurd -cars are much more expensive . I gave
7000$ bucks for my 89'yota and that was very good price .

Pics are coming soon-friend just bought digital camera.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Here are some pics they are lousy quality because they are made with a mobile phone,but i ll put some better ones soon
Attached Thumbnails Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?-image008.jpg   Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?-image012.jpg   Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?-image009.jpg  
Old 01-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Interesting rims,anybody seen something similar it says fittipaldi on them.
Sorry no hard core off road pics yet I just got this camera
Attached Thumbnails Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?-image011.jpg  
Old 01-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

yeah those are pretty common here (the rim style) but never heard of the name
Old 01-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Would this be possible for the front end of our 3rd gens?

Chris
Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 PM

Where's the best place to get steering brakes? Any recommendations?

Chris
Old 01-23-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ravencr
Would this be possible for the front end of our 3rd gens?

Chris
Uh... no... your parking brake drum/caliper is mounted on the rear of the truck. To do this on the front of the vehicle, you'd have to rig up cables, levers, calipers, etc..

I think there's a lot of engineering that's going to go into "turning brakes" in an effort to provide traction, and while it works in theory, it's not a practical alternative to even a cheap locker.

Can the turning brake idea, and buy a cheap used lock-rite... I'd be willing to be it'll be cheaper than your parking brake idea - seriously.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Where's the best place to get steering brakes? Any recommendations?

Chris

there's another thread talking about hydraulic cutting brakes, they are very simple to install.

Edit*

Straight from here.
" For best prices and quick delivery, please contact your local parts distributor."

Actually, their website is rather lacking as they don't even have a Rep. or Distrubutor listing/link. I guess you'd have to call em to find out where to get em by you. That sucks. I guess they look at it as..."they may not know where to buy it but at least they'll know their part number."

I was quoted $140 for that particular 2 handle assembly (linked earlier) here locally.

Last edited by BruceTS; 01-23-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap diff lock alternative- what do you think?