Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken front leaf

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
broken front leaf

I have a broken front leaf on my truck. I can't afford really expensive springs right now.
My current front springs are procomp 4" lift springs they are probably like 8 years old.

I heard people running the rear springs on the front but you have to get special shackles for them.
My rear springs are in good shape but are the stock ones since I have lift blocks in the rear.

I would have to find something for the rear of my truck then.

I could come up with $300 somehow for springs.

I was thinking I should buy the hanger kit for chevy's and the u-bolt kit for the rear and get a set of 63" junkyard springs for it.

My other option is just to find some replacement front leaf springs like from JC whitney or like some cheapo geniune suspension leaf springs.
I wish all pro was still doing the $199 deal on front springs but it looks like that ship has sailed.

I am open to suggestions and opinions on what I should do.

Last edited by 934rnr; 04-04-2005 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 934rnr
I have a broken front leaf on my truck. I can't afford really expensive springs right now.
My current front springs are procomp 4" lift springs they are probably like 8 years old.

I heard people running the rear springs on the front but you have to get special shackles for them.
My rear springs are in good shape but are the stock ones since I have lift blocks in the rear.

I would have to find something for the rear of my truck then.

I could come up with $300 somehow for springs.

I was thinking I should buy the hanger kit for chevy's and the u-bolt kit for the rear and get a set of 63" junkyard springs for it.

My other option is just to find some replacement front leaf springs like from JC whitney or like some cheapo geniune suspension leaf springs.
I wish all pro was still doing the $199 deal on front springs but it looks like that ship has sailed.

I am open to suggestions and opinions on what I should do.
This is on your Hilux right? Check Downey Manufacturing. I bought a replacement set for my Trekker for 156 bucks plus shipping. 3" lift though. The 4" lift is just slightly more.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 AM

I looked in my downey cataloug and they list thier a couple options.

They have 3" front leaves for 171.00 (Pair)

Or you can get front and rear 3" springs (All 4) for 352.00

These front springs are said to be longer than stock, more arched than stock, and offer 3 inches more travel than stock. They are also said to have a stock ride and fit in the stock locations.

Hope that helps
Old 04-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldn't run rears up front unless you had crossover steering. the rears move your axle forward a couple inches, which will cause problems with the stock setup.

i'm actually planning on getting the downey springs, and probably just running longer shackles and a 1" block in the rear for 2.5" of lift(my rear springs actually flex pretty well, the shackles limit them). i could always get skyjacker front springs, but i'd feel better with springs that have a military wrap like downey's...just a little insurance.

i might have to give them a call soon, because i really don't wanna pay $5 for their stupid catalog.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 AM

sorry to hear that...sounds like you may end up with some better quality springs though in the future.
If money is an issue, dont overlook purchasing someones used leafs that is coverting to 3/4link, etc..lots of guys have been selling springs on pirate lately...check it out you may find some allpros, marlins or alcans for a reasonable price.

Brian
Old 04-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i wouldn't run rears up front unless you had crossover steering. the rears move your axle forward a couple inches, which will cause problems with the stock setup.

i'm actually planning on getting the downey springs, and probably just running longer shackles and a 1" block in the rear for 2.5" of lift(my rear springs actually flex pretty well, the shackles limit them). i could always get skyjacker front springs, but i'd feel better with springs that have a military wrap like downey's...just a little insurance.

i might have to give them a call soon, because i really don't wanna pay $5 for their stupid catalog.
I've got a current cataloug. Let me know what you need and I can scan it. I also have a price sheet in the back of it. I really should sit down and pdf it. If enough people want me to. I'll do it. It's like 130 pages.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I looked in my downey cataloug and they list thier a couple options.

They have 3" front leaves for 171.00 (Pair)

Or you can get front and rear 3" springs (All 4) for 352.00

These front springs are said to be longer than stock, more arched than stock, and offer 3 inches more travel than stock. They are also said to have a stock ride and fit in the stock locations.

Hope that helps
I have a older 2001 Downey catalog is it part # 48110 ?

Last edited by 934rnr; 04-04-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM

I thought it over and I made a decision on it.
I am going to make a custom pack for the front using my current rear leaf springs and my old front leaf pack I will be using the budbuilt shackles.
I am doing the 63" chevy's in the rear as well.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by 934rnr; 04-04-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM

I have a older 2001 Downey catalog is it part # 48110 ?
yep. that's the number. I have the 2004-2005
Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 AM

I thought it over and I made a decision on it.
I am going to make a custom pack for the front using my current rear leaf springs and my old front leaf pack I will be using the budbuilt shackles.
I am doing the 63" chevy's in the rear as well.

Thanks guys.
You are going hi-steer, right? You can't use rears up front with stock push-pull steering unless you cut and shorten the drag link & torque rod, which I wouldn't recommend. When using the rears up front, it moves the axle forward 2 inches so stock components won't work.