Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bentup or 4Crawler rock sliders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentup or 4Crawler rock sliders?

Ive decided on either of the 2 sliders below but cant make up my mind.

1) Bentup Double square rocker skids (bolt on)
http://www.bentup.com/rockerskids.html
This picture has the welded style mounts (only one i could find)

2) 4Crawler Rock SliderZ (bolt on)
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml

What would you get and why?

Last edited by rocket; 07-13-2005 at 01:42 AM. Reason: left out words :(
Old 07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Banned

I got the 4Crawler sliders and could not be happier with them. Roger puts so much energy and work into them - I was amazed by their quality and the overall design.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:19 PM

Look at the ends of the sliders. One is angled, and boxed in. The other is wide open. I would pick the boxed in set, and weld them on. The other could hang on a rock, and not slide past if in a tight spot. IMHO

If you take them offroad and really test them, let me know what you find out. I could have used sliders at BMRA, but now have a nice little dent in my driver rocker panel.

Last edited by Cedarbarn; 07-12-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

rogers all the way, his stuff is top notch, and i jsut dont liek the way the bentup ones look.....
Old 07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

I have not heard of many (if any) people having issues with the open-endedness of the 4Crawler sliders anymore than they'd have trouble with the open spaces on any part of the slider. The nice thing about the 4Crawler sliders (aside from what I've already mentioned) is the fact that you can get them with kick outs if you're running larger tires. I don't know much about Bent-up, but I do know that with Roger at 4Crawler, you'll be more than happy not only with the sliders you end up with, but with the customer service as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cedarbarn
Look at the ends of the sliders. One is angled, and boxed in. The other is wide open. I would pick the boxed in set, and weld them on. The other could hang on a rock, and not slide past if in a tight spot. IMHO
the fact that rodgers is open isnt a factor. the longer bar is tucked under the truck. scroll down this thread and you can see how they look on Rocky's Runner. Super clean and really look great. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=rocky
Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Stinker, i was gonna do that, but.......figured that you would! i was right!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

haha, sorry DJ. hugs. (with no pickle forks)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
the fact that rodgers is open isnt a factor. the longer bar is tucked under the truck. scroll down this thread and you can see how they look on Rocky's Runner. Super clean and really look great. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=rocky
Yeah, I know what they look like, thanks. I watched them get welded on.

I wonder why I am on this board anyway, I get flamed more here than TTR, TTORA, TXTTORA, etc.

Have fun kids, I am going offraod with my ÅÅÅÅ.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Banned

I wonder why I am on this board anyway, I get flamed more here than TTR, TTORA, TXTTORA, etc.

Where did you get flamed? It's funny to me you would think that was flaming, and yet a week or so back you were appalled by the fact that I stood up for myself when I felt that you had flamed me! Trust me, no one was flaming you - it's just important that people don't get the wrong idea about the negatives and positives of the sliders ... Roger has awesome designs and if there had been issues with the opening, I'm sure we'd know about it ... but I can definitely understand why someone might worry about that and so it's actually a good thing that it came up! Don't leave, I promise no one was flaming you.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

didnt realize that i flamed ya, and didn't know that you were there when they got welded on. my bad.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Banned

See! It's all good! No one was doing any flaming whatsoever!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I originally ran a slider that had outer tubes that dove back into the frame at each end:

And I can't count the times I got hung up on rocks getting jammed into the notch formed by the end of the slider and the tire, usually leaving a nice dent in my fender in the process.

Since switching to the full length ends (w/ optional kickouts), I have not been hung up in a similar manner, including trails like the Rubicon, Moab, Hammers, Dusy, etc. By leaving the ends of the bars open with a beveled end cap facing down, the chances of jamming something up between the tire and slider seems to be lessened. I find the kicked out ends, with wider tires, makes a nice combination as well. The kicked out end pushes the truck away from the rock until the tire has a chance to grab it. With a diving in end, you'll slide along the rock then fall into it as the slider end dives back into the frame. Happened to me about 10 times in a row getting into the Little Sluice on the 'con a few years back, until I finally found a line where I did not touch the slider getting around the big boulder on the driver's side:

The diesign also puts the outer tube higher than the inner tube for better clearance. On the early models, the outer tube is a full 2" higher than the inner, later models are a bit lower, but every inch of clearance you can get is worth it.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-12-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

I posted this in a hurry while leaving work...just got home and theres all these good replies

ok, I know Rodger Brown has top notch customer service but so does Bentup.
I understand the differences of both sliders. I'll narrow it down to this now...

If i get the 4Crawler sliderz with 33X10.50 tires, should i get the 1" kickout just incase i get 33x12.50 tires?

What could be more of a problem: 1" kickout with 10.50 or straight bars with 12.50?

thanks for all replies...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

I have the 1" kickouts and my tires are only around 10.5" wide ... it works perfectly.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

As noted on the web page, see how far the tires you have or are planning to get will stick outside of the fenders. Take that distance, halve it and that is the size kickout that works well. A straight bar also works well, some folks with wide r wheels/tires gets straight bars. Basically, you don't want the outer tube sticking out much wider than the tires or it may become a rock magnet.

But that said, I've wheeled for about 4 years now with 2" kicked out bars (set up for my old 33x15.50 Swampers) with 33x10.50 tires, sliders are wider that the rubber:

Did not have any trouble with this setup, either. Neither option would be a "problem", just more what you want and plan for your truck. I set mine up for the 15.50" wide tires on 10" wide rims and then went to 10.50 tires on 6" rims, pulling the tires in about 5" per side and did not change the sliders. Might have looked a little odd, but it got me through a number of good trails like that.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-12-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

4Crawler, your pics and advice has been very helpful. you too r0cky

What im doing is building a moderate to semi-serious rig. Its almost bone stock at the moment (i have $3,000 to blow with more coming). I'm basically buying a lot of things all at once and i dont have tires, yet.

Im convinced now on getting the 4Crawler silderZ and i'll be ordering a R.B. 1" BL as well. My suspension is still undecided partly due to the choice of 10.50 or 12.50 but i know i want/need sliders now.

With that said, (sorry its not much) what would you get..straight sliderZ or the 1" kickout? I dont have the ability to measure anything right now but I can say i wont ever go bigger than 33X12.50

Last edited by rocket; 07-12-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

i dont plan on running anything wider than 12.50's, and plan on purchasing 1" kickouts this winter.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

I give some tips on measureing tire/track width with changes in tire and wheel size and offset on this section of my web page:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires...ningTrackWidth
Or wait until the lift is on, wheels and tires installed and check then.

Basically though it is all about what you want. Some folks like the look of the kickouts, some prefer the "cleaner" lines of the straight bar. Some get just a rear kickout, some front and rear. You could always order them straight then have them modified later if you want a kickout. Just take a cut along the outside edge, bend the tube outward and weld up the seam and repaint.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-13-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Bentup or 4Crawler rock sliders?