Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlas T-case "what Says You"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also shift between 4hi and 4lo all the time. Although I think it is something only the 3.0 autos are able to do. I'm still getting used to putting it in N to shift between the two in our new Tacoma.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yotasavg
not sure what you're talking about isaac, i shift from 4lo to 4hi on the fly very often.........

to the OP: honestly, if it's not obvious from what tc just posted, do the lefty.
No no....You are confused as I was originally. The Atlas case is NOT shift on the fly Lo to High. As TC pointed out, that would be very hard on the motor.

The Atlas is shift on the fly 2wd to 4wd. The same as my stock toyota case was, and now my 4.7 case is. I also have a scout 2 with a dana something or other tcase, and that is also, shift on the fly 2wd to 4wd. So is my dads 97 4runner, my brothers 94 4runner, and my moms 04 tacoma.

The only thing that does NOT have a shift on the fly case is our 4wd Kubota Tractor.

Now I am totally confused. I have NEVER seen a toyota case, auto or otherwise, that was shift on the fly 4lo to 4hi or visa versa. Ever.

Just so we're clear, shift on the fly means IN MOTION. So, if you are shifting from hi to low, or low to hi, you are doing it at some speed over 5mph.

Last edited by AxleIke; 03-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by hross14
I think i will make the determination on what i need and dont need...Thanks for the input everybody
You seem a little irritated by some of the good advice that's been posted. Not exactly sure why.

It sounds like folks have given you a good range of options as well as real world experience.

The only thing I would add to the conversation is the more you move away from stock parts the harder and more expensive it is to get replacement parts away form home. You won't find Atlas parts near any of the trails down in SA where you want to go. But you will find plenty of Toyota parts. My buddy had custom width D44 axles under his samurai, $7000 (almost, rear was passenger offset) wrapped up in them. He started breaking shafts and he got real sick of special ordering replacements. Just something to consider.

An atlas case would certainly be bling and is quite respectable, but ultimately it's your money and you have to be happy with the build up.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
No no....You are confused as I was originally.
Now I am totally confused. I have NEVER seen a toyota case, auto or otherwise, that was shift on the fly 4lo to 4hi or visa versa. Ever.

Just so we're clear, shift on the fly means IN MOTION. So, if you are shifting from hi to low, or low to hi, you are doing it at some speed over 5mph.
I went and grabbed my manual out of the glovebox so I could make sure I got this right. This is quoted from my original manual:

"Shifting Procedures (3VZ-E Vehicles with an automatic transmission)

Shifting between H4 and L4

To shift from H4 to L4, reduce your speed to less than 30 km/h (18 mph)....."
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Huh.

Well, you learn something new every day. That has to be some impressive syncros.

I guess its the auto that does it for you.

Good to know.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Huh.

Well, you learn something new every day. That has to be some impressive syncros.

Good to know.
Even wierder, it is only the 3.0 automatic. The auto with the 22R-E you have to do the whole stop and shift to N or P to shift to 4lo. I must say it is very nice to have in the dunes. I definately can say that it is a feature that I use all the time. Although, that is about the only thing I like about these automatics.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Huh.

Good to know.
No syncros. The a340h tcase portion is alittle auto trans (valve body, clutches, springs) its all hydraulic and its a planetary reduction gear set (2.66:1) So yes it will shift back and forth at speed. It even runs on ATF. It sure is wierd and very scary to take apart. But I can say from experiance it is tough and ive never heard of one failing...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can confirm the auto tcase will shift ranges on the fly.

Molly's does the 4L to 4H shift all on it's own.
Kinda sucks to have an automatic so you don't have to worry about the clutch, and then have to hold the shift lever in 4L while on obstacles...

Last edited by tc; 03-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Huh.

well, as I said, always learning.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Even wierder, it is only the 3.0 automatic. The auto with the 22R-E you have to do the whole stop and shift to N or P to shift to 4lo. I must say it is very nice to have in the dunes. I definately can say that it is a feature that I use all the time. Although, that is about the only thing I like about these automatics.
yup. when i got my truck i used to stop to shift, and then i realized that i don't need to. it's great for trail running. i can be going fast through a section and just drop it down to low to clear an obstacle and then shift back just as quickly to go fast and scare some trees.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=GenXr;50767525]You seem a little irritated by some of the good advice that's been posted. Not exactly sure why.

your right--when somebody tell you what you need and dont need--that is annoying. The rest of the post i have had no problems with. I like to hear the arguments for and against.

Like TC's advice--i have looked at that--but decided i dont want doublers. I have given these future mod lots of thought and thought i would just check out what others had to say. A great point was brought up pointing out that a mid low range is awfully handy when going from obstacle to obstacle and thats when i started thinking about the ATALS 4spd and STAK 3spd.

I am not doing this to say look at what i have. They are supposed (STAK and Atlas) be the baddest cases out there--replacement parts wouldnt be an issue because they are not supposed to break . If it did break i would replace with a stock T-Case on the trail and buy some Coronas (becuase that is necessary when mechanicing) and fish tacos.

And to many times i have made a purchase and thought to myself--self--you should have spent the extra money and got the other one. I am also not married and dont have kids--that makes for a money situation

Has anybody else out there heard of STAKS having oils seal problems?