Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Panhard Update!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable Panhard Update!!

So I sent a message to autoalliance about these adjustable panhard rods, and this is what we had to say...

===================<QUOTE>====================

Hello,
I would like to make an inquiry on the adjustable panhard rod you have advertised. I recently added OME HD rear coils to my 1990 Toyota 4runner
to remedy the rear sag and now am searching for a solution to the raised panhard rod. I was looking at drop brackets, when i came across your website and found this adjustable rod. Could you tell me what the advantages would be to having an adjustable rod over just the drop bracket, if any. And
also could you quote me a price including shipment to Seattle, Washington, USA. Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your email Nick.
For export to you, the cost of the premium-quality adjustable panhard rod is $236. The cost to send it to you by economy airmail including insurance is $105. Prices are in Australian dollars. One Australian dollars buys only about 60 cents USA, so your all up total including freight is approx. $205 US. The advantage of purchasing our rod is that you can set up the rear exactly the way that your vehicle sits. Each vehicle will sit a little different depending on its manufacture and load bearing accessories. Whether your vehicle in reality sits up 1" or 1.5" or 2" plus, it does not matter, simply adjust the bars to suit. With a drop bracket setup, you cannot position your axles precisely, which is the whole purpose of your enquiry. Our panhard rod is also a more rugged and durable component if you enjoy
your 4wheeling. If you would like to order, just let me know.

Regards,
Kirk Barker.
=============================================

So it would seem that this adjustable rod maybe quite better than just the drop bracket. So whatcha all think?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:53 AM
CTB

Seems pretty expensive for something that isn't really all that necessary. Unless your driveshaft is hitting your skid plate under articulation, I really wouldn't sweat it.

But, if it gives you peace of mind, then go for it and try it out. Let us know how it goes, and maybe you will find some more guys jumping on board to follow you.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:56 AM

sounds pretty neat....that way no matter where exactly your rod sits you could make it level......of course it is 200 bucks that could be spent elsewhere........
Old 04-28-2003, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the 200 bucks that would cost, you could get the rear spacers from Downey that had a drop, and still pay for the beer and pizza to put them in.

In theory, that does the same thing as a bracket.

In reality, I can see how it pushes the axle away from the tank, but it will not level things enough to be worth it, perhaps giving creedence to the thought that the bars do not need to be flat to be doing their jobs.

If it makes you happy, snag it, install it and tell us how great it is. If the only problem is that you tires appear to be sticking out, I wouldn't fuss with it.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:08 PM

not that I would spend the money and effort to get that rod from AU, but I can see how that would be a good idea for someone who does a lot of different types of offroading and being able to change how your rear end sits. But all-in-all, everybody is right in saying that it is not necessary.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, what does the Downey bracket cost? What about other brackets on the market?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pro-Comp is $40

Downey sells one, but it comes with a couple of other brackets, some spacers and some longer endlinks for around one and a quarter.

All-Pro has one for around $150
Old 04-28-2003, 04:09 PM

I see this as a very interesting idea.
I can see their point of being able to adjust the bar to match the lift of your specific vehicle.
I too am running the OME rear coils which do net more lift than the Downey coils therefore making it a better option than the Downey brackets.
The OME coils are also less lift than the 5" lift ALL-Pro bracket set-up, or the Pro-Comp set-up at 4".
The adjustable bar would also seem stronger than a extended bracket.
The only draw back I could see would be that the lower mount for the bar is in the same location, were the other options actually raise the lower mount for the bar.
The $200 they want for the bar does not seem totally unreasonable , in my opinion. THe other options are not that much cheaper and the All-Pro kit needs welding.
This is something I would like to look into.
Were is there website man?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 AM

Has anyone used this adjustable rod? Is there any out there cheaper?