99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Questions about my 1998 LC and making it more off-road capable.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about my 1998 LC and making it more off-road capable.

I have a 98 Toyota Land cruiser. I was considering doing an SAS swap. But I want to keep the driving comfort the same as it is now. I want to fit 35"-37"(havent decided yet) on my landcruiser. I have these two options that I wanted, but I'm not sure which one to go with.

option 1: SAS swap. It will affect my cornering ability and driving comfort, but it will have more off road capability. Less maintenance.

option 2: Keep the IFS and get an Old man emu 2" lift with a 1" slee off road front diff drop. Trim the fenders by 1" to be able to fit bigger tires. This option will help keep my LC's driving comfort about the same as it is now. I still think it would be pretty capable as an off road rig, because I've seen people go on some trails with an IFS suspension.

I use my LC daily. I don't need flex to climb over rocks. I mostly do my 4wheeling in mud. I take my LC to oceano dunes every now and then.

Knowing this, which option would be better for me?

Last edited by LJ_24; 09-05-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

I personally wouldn't want to give you any advice because i have never put a brush guard on a LC, but just from the physics of it, i would say you would have a problem w/ the guard wanting to pull forward because of the height that you will want the winch vs the height at which it mounts to the frame. I'm just picturing something wanting to "pivot" where you don't want it too. Maybe you could just do a hitch mount for the winch?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
My 2 cents is you need a real bumper. One with a winch mount.
Those things are wayyyyy to flimsy

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Start with a real bumper. That thing is useless for a winch and not worth the effort to add one to.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x3 on a real bumper... those things are good for nothing but looks. to give you an idea, a buddy of mine had one on his f150.... i climbed up on it to check something in his engine bay, and the damn thing bent. get an arb.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Cutting the fender/wheel well to fit larger tires?

I have a 1998 toyota landcruiser and I wanted to fit bigger tires. I found an old man emu lift and I'm planning to put that on my landcruiser but that will only add 2 inches of lift. I wanted to, in addition to the lift, trim the wheel wells/fenders. I saw it done on a landcruiser of the same kind on a website a while back but I can't find it anymore. Are there any problems that I should be concerned about when cutting my wheel wells/fenders?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM

leave your measurements half an inch or so long so you can roll a lip back on so they dont look ugly.. other than that use a 4'' grinder or sawzall with stubby metal blade.

have fun with it!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by eighty5yota
leave your measurements half an inch or so long so you can roll a lip back on so they dont look ugly.. other than that use a 4'' grinder or sawzall with stubby metal blade.

have fun with it!
there's no major mechanical/electrical part that I should be concerned about accidentally cutting directly behind the wheel well?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 AM

Driveability after doing an SAS swap?

I was wondering how much the driveability and comfort of a truck would be affected after doing an SAS swap? I have a 1998 toyota landcruiser that I'm planning to do an SAS swap on. I want to do some serious off roading but I'm concered about my driving comfort when I'm not off roading. My main concern, since I drive this truck on a daily basis, would I be more prone to flipping over while merging on the freeway? I heard that the cornering ability of a truck is greatly altered after an SAS swap, can somebody give me feedback on this subject? thanks.

Last edited by LJ_24; 09-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM

interesting choice of SAS swap. Havent looking into a swap for the 100. Why not just get an fjz80??
Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
interesting choice of SAS swap. Havent looking into a swap for the 100. Why not just get an fjz80??
I wanted to, but I wanted more power and I thought the 100 series would be a good project. It's the oldest 100 series so I thought it would make a good project in the fututre.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't find much difference from my IFS to SAS swap , it is a little different but rides still pretty close to the IFS even my friend who thought it was stupid to get a SAS say's it rides very nice and was suprized at how smooth it rides.

Hell think about not to long ago all trucks rode around on SAS set up's from the factory anyway. Really to me it's almost non noticable I have just over a 100 miles on my set up with a complete motor rebuild as well and it rides great cornoring is about the only place you really notice the difference and it don't take much to adjust your driving style to that.

All in All I say do it you won't regret it and it would be cool as hell to see on a truck like yours , mine is on a 93 4runner with 35 x 12.5's and it has both front and rear done and it is my daily driver and I have no regrets so far and I think the new shocks that came with the TG kit's make it ride better down the road to be honest with you just like any other lifted truck if you drive it like it was built to be and not a sports cars you will hardly notice the difference till you go off road that is.

Here's how it looks now with the swap

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM

My IFS drove and handled better on the road 100%. Its off road were it had a hard time staying together and the performance was good still not great though.

If you do a lot of off road and rocks (flexing) then the SAS is the way to go. I would highly recommend driving a truck that has had an sas swap done and see if you like it. It is quite tipsy and I have no doubt that I would roll if I needed to do a fast lane change at hwy speed. You just drive accordingly and look far ahead of you to minimize surprises.

Jeremy
Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by LJ_24
there's no major mechanical/electrical part that I should be concerned about accidentally cutting directly behind the wheel well?
That is totally up to you to find out. Do not just go cutting with out knowing what you are cutting into.

Jermey
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its all in what you buy supose to make it alittle better ride comfort. The stock solid axle trucks compared to the stock IFS trucks ahd a rougher ride. The IFS was better in cornering and handling. The Ifs did reqiure more maintince than the solid axles. The IFS was moer comfortable in rougher terrain than the solid axle. But mostly the reason for the IFS was to reduce the un suspended weight. The suspenion hold up the weight of the vehcile off the ground. Anything bellow the suspenion system is weight that is more or less dragging the vehilce down.... so alot of the reason is gas mileage and performance. But its all in the quality suspenion you buy or have.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

yea what he said.. i cant imagine anyone at toyota would run wires within the last 2 inches around the wheel well..

stick your hand back there and check it out..

i dont know how LC's are but my on my 85 there isnt ANYTHING on the inside of the fenders.. and if there was it was on the frame part, well out of the way.

if your scared to cut.. get a wheeling set of tires and a dd set and take your fenders off when you go out to the trail?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

just make sure you use good firm shocks to keep the tires glued to the ground
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sh0kk86
just make sure you use good firm shocks to keep the tires glued to the ground
The shocks have nothing to do with the tire staying on the ground its all in the supsension and the weight of the vehicle. The shocks just keep the vehicle from moving bouncing all over the place after a bump or hard turn. Shocks are really for comfort. Atleast if you talking OEM.... you get into performance... well i only do oem but they do sell stiffer or so to say shocks that have a higher lbs that can be adjusted for racing and all kinds of stuff. But if your talking shock that are same all round and oem then listen to first thing i said.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 PM

thanks for the feedback guys. I dont do lot of rock crawling. Mostly, I deal with mud and I have an occasional trip to oceano dunes. Since I want to use this truck as a daily driver, I was considering jus keeping the ifs getting a 2" OME lift, and then get the fenders trimmed about an inch. I want to have at least 35" tires. Great feedback! thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM

If I cut an inch of the fender off, that means I can pretty much fit 2" taller tires right? Cos you add 1 inch all around the tire?

Quick Reply: Questions about my 1998 LC and making it more off-road capable.