99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

my new rock warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my new rock warrior

I haven't been on the forum in a while, but I wanted to get some advice on an "issue" I had today.

I traded in my 2001 4Runner for a new rock warrior. I had to wait for it to come in for a while, but it came in yesterday. I had driven a Tundra so after looking this one over I did not feel the need to drive it. We did all the paperwork etc and started driving towards home.

About a mile down the road, the truck lurched to the side, and was handling really strange, so I went to pull over, and when I did, the driver's side rear tire rolled on down the road past me, riding on the rotor until I got the truck stopped. Luckily I was only doing about 35 miles per hour, and nobody was hurt. Upon further inspection, the other rear wheel was loose and about to come off as well. I had asked them to turn the white lettering on the tires in, which they did, and obviously did not torque the wheels properly.

Called the police & dealership, and they towed it back to the dealership. Needless to say, we are outraged. They offer to give us another rock warrior which is coming in early next week. They offer to give us a rental truck, but at this point we weren't sure if we wanted to buy a vehicle from this dealership. We have conversation with the sales & general managers, and they wouldn't give us any compensation other than selling us a different truck. We spent a lot of time after the accident. Someone could have been hurt or killed if we had gotten on the highway, which was about another mile down the road. The managers didn't even seem to care.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is a law to have two technicians torque and check the lug nuts whenever a wheel is off.
Almost every time I have bought tires or had a repair they have documented this. When I asked them if this had been done, they didn't know what I was talking about.

My question to the toyota community is what do I do? I really liked this truck but am considering not buying one now, especially from this dealership. Don't you think they would try to do something to make things good, at least a couple hundred off the next truck? They really didn't seem to care that people could have been hurt, they just kept saying that someone had made a mistake.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I appreciate any input you might have.

Last edited by beatenyota; 05-09-2009 at 03:20 PM.