Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Rear mounted fuel tank for an FJ80

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear mounted fuel tank for an FJ80

Hey Guys,(and maybe girls) I'm a toyota newbee. I was out looking for a pickup but saw an FJ80. I was hooked. Looked underneath and saw the potential for a nice HD off-road tinker toy to satisfy my need to modify. Ok, the fact that it was quieter than my cj, and had A/c may have swayed me to the dark side. I'm not getting any younger and creature comforts are becoming more important to me. I'm now installing the drive train for a 2000 Silverado. Now to my Question. I'm trying to find a local source for a rear mounted Fuel tank with sender compatable with my cruiser gauge. I'm running a centered driveline to the rear and have to remove the factory tank to clear it. Any Ideas, sources.
Any demand for the old drive train. or should I dump it. All ran well but underpowered for the weight.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:39 PM

www.man-a-fre.com has a couple different options for you. One option is to install a sub-tank from Australia. These are used tanks from Aussie cruisers. IIRC, they hold just under 15 gal. The other option is to go with a full 2nd tank -- I think these hold somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 gal.

Check here:
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...ueltankkit.htm

If you're in So. Cal, they should be fairly close to you.
Good luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 PM

Talking problem solved, no new tank needed

Originally Posted by Toyolet
Hey Guys,(and maybe girls) I'm a toyota newbee. I was out looking for a pickup but saw an FJ80. I was hooked. Looked underneath and saw the potential for a nice HD off-road tinker toy to satisfy my need to modify. Ok, the fact that it was quieter than my cj, and had A/c may have swayed me to the dark side. I'm not getting any younger and creature comforts are becoming more important to me. I'm now installing the drive train for a 2000 Silverado. Now to my Question. I'm trying to find a local source for a rear mounted Fuel tank with sender compatable with my cruiser gauge. I'm running a centered driveline to the rear and have to remove the factory tank to clear it. Any Ideas, sources.
Any demand for the old drive train. or should I dump it. All ran well but underpowered for the weight.
Thanks NorcalDoug for the reply, After looking over several options,( I liked the idea of having a 34 gal tank) I opted to change transmissions to a th400
and use the innards from an amc th400. I can then bolt a quadratrac t-case, which is offset like the HF2A and keep the fuel tank in place. This will cost much less than the other options. I thought about a dana 18 t-case, but feeling were mixed about its strength. again, thanks.