Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Buying a project cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a project cruiser

I just called this guy about 1965 FJ-40 that was completely disassembled. like its a rolling chassie so i could tow it home, but i'm wondering if this is a good project or not. Its got the motor from a 68, and its got no rust and looks pretty straight. Also has that sweet PTO winch. The guy wants about 2 grand for it. SHould i spend my senior year trying to bolt this back togather or do I need to know a hell of a lot more than I do(which is pretty basic) before i undertake such a project.
-joe
Old 09-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know anything about FJ40s, but anything is doable with enough effort, but if you don't have a lot of experience, I'd think twice. If you've got a bunch of parts that you've got to put back together, you've got to figure out how they go back together and whether you've got everything you need in the first place. Sometimes thats pretty tough even when you took something apart. If you've got to find parts, that could take a lot of time too.

Here's one bulletin board I happened to stumble on recently that is exclusively Cruisers; you might ask there about whether they think its a good deal or not. IH8MUD . I was browsing in the area where they discuss vehicles wanted or for sale, and saw offers to help check out prospective vehicles, so you might see if there is someone in your area who would give you some help checking the "project" out. There are links on that site to other Cruiser bulletin boards as well.

Alan
Old 09-30-2003, 06:44 AM
CTB

Not sure if this is going to help you or not, but here is my story...

I just got a '79 FJ40 last March, while I was a junior in college. I had been wanting an FJ40 for so long, and finally found one in the year range I was looking for, and in the price range that I could afford. It is definitely rough, and needs some work, but I knew that going into the project. I have plans for a complete body-off restoration, which includes minor repairs to the frame if necessary.

Although I love my 4Runner, I have stopped putting a lot of money into mods for it and stuff because I am saving up for my FJ project. I know it is going to take a lot of time and money, but I accept that, and can't wait to get started on it. Now, if I could only figure out how to get it moved out of my grandma's garage.....

Good luck with your venture. Oh ya, get that FJ!!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you plan on using it? If you want to do heavy 4X4, you will want to change the axles. The 69 (?) and newer have a birfield joint instead of a ball type link in the front steer knuckle. The 65 also has weaker pinions than the newer ones, weaker axles (coarse spline), and don't have disk brakes. 2 grand sounds high for one torn down. The body had better be REALY good shape with minimal rust.