Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

78 FJ40 starts but will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 FJ40 starts but will not stay running

I recently bought the FJ about 2 months ago from AZ and I am in NH. So, the climate changed about 40 degrees, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

It ran perfect for the 6 or so times I drove it around town, but then about a month ago, I went to start it and it stayed running for a few minutes, but then died out. I left it alone for a while, but then revisited it yesterday. I thought it may be the fuel pump because if I used starting fluid, it would start right up, but then die right out after the fluid had burned off.

Today, I put the new fuel pump in. I used an aftermarket electric inline pump to replace the mechanical block mounted one on it. For now, I just left the block mounted one on it and just tied the new electric one in before it and tied the outlet into the line going into the carburetor.

I wired it into a wire that is live when the ignition is turned on, so it is working fine. The FJ started right up when I first tried it after the replacement. However, it would not stay running. I left the choke out for a while, because when I didn't, the engine would immediately die out. After about a dozen times, it finally would stay running, but only for about 30 seconds. I kept repeating this, but no luck in it running more than ten to twenty seconds. Also, as soon as I would try to give it some accelerator, it would die right out.

I tried disconnecting the air filter box, just to see if there was a breathing problem, and that seemed to work for a bit, but kept dying out on me.

I just don't know if the fuel is getting cut out or not. The entire time, I can hear the new fuel pump running, so I am assuming that is not the problem.

Overall, I just am stumped why it was running perfectly fine and now I am having these problems. It just seems odd.

Oh and I also checked the distributor and wires and they all seem to be in great shape-no moisture. I also replaced the plugs.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Location: I live in Red Bluff ca. Right by the Sacramento river
I dont know about fj40s, but I do know about old engines. At first I would say fuel filter, but you say you put a new pump in, so I assume you also did the filter. I would then say it just needed to be ran, because it was sitting, But you say it didnt sit very long. Is it low on gas? Maybe gas went bad in tank? Did you smell gas? Try running some carb cleaner through it. It sounds like something with carb, you say it runs if you block the choke? Maybe its time to rebuild that carb?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM

I guess I will try some carb cleaner next.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

While this site is an excellent source of technical information on toyotas, Check this also, you may get a quicker response.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/

It does sound like a carb problem though.. Idle screw maybe? Carb could be gummed up.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 PM

I've had this happen once before and I thought I'd never figure it out. The solution was the weirdest thing so if you're grasping at straws, here's one to try.

I had a big block Ford that would run just fine in the summer, but when it got colder it would run properly for about 5 - 7 minutes and then die out. Choke was set properly and I was about to drive the dang thing down a boat ramp but I finally figured it out. The thermostat in the cooling system was stuck open. Apparently the engine would get to this weird point where it would be warm enough to open the choke but not warm enough to run without the choke. So it would effectively kill itself after becoming partially warm.

So if you run out of options, that's one to try.

- Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM

check for power to the fuel cut solenoid, the only wires on the carb. You may have to manually ground it. Have a friend turn the key on and off, you should hear it click.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Yup, fuel solenoid on the back side of the carb, classic symptom of running only with the choke on. If there is power to it with the key on then you will need to replace it. Mine cut out intermittently for while and then worked after that.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Yup, fuel solenoid on the back side of the carb, classic symptom of running only with the choke on. If there is power to it with the key on then you will need to replace it. Mine cut out intermittently for while and then worked after that.
try running it with out it hooked up. when we put a 20r from a 80 into a 82 it wouldnt run with it hooked up. my dads 20r in his 80 would run with it hooked up and not run without it but for some reason mine would run without it hooked up but not with it hooked up