Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

skrassow's 1999 Tacoma Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skrassow
OK, another ??? for the experts. Both of the URD controllers and obviously the boost gauge need to tap into the boost port on the supercharger. Everything I have read and seen has them all tied in near the SC itself. Is there any problem to running one line from the supercharger, into the truck and then splitting it into the three boxes? Is it somehow better to have all of them tied in as close to the unit as possible? Seems like its more line that way and that would be worse. anyone have any input?
Like TexasAce said, is would be fine to take a single line and tee off it from there. That's basically what I did with my boost gauge and URD box.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you racing the RX-7 out there? If so man I gotta ask...WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO TO THAT THING, if your beating Z06's on the straights!!! The Z is no joke man, I havnt had a chance to get it to a track. Only been here since December so I got find out where the closest one is.
Nah, the RX7 was sold a few months back. Used the $$$ from it to buy an engine for my MR2. Got it running a little while back, still stock for all pratical purposes. Only real mods are a boost controller and downpipe.

Putting down about 250RWHP at the wheels. Which may not sound like a lot but trust, me in an MR2 that is a LOT. For one thing the MR2 is a sprinter, it is VERY quick but not that fast if that makes sense. For example, i run out of gears around ~140mph with the stock redline and tires (since most people up both they can usually hit ~160). The vette is geared to go almost 200mph in 5th gear and it doesn't rev as high.

Riding with the Z06 today, my car pushes you back in your seat just as much if not more then them in the short term (they DO have more tourqe of course).

I am getting a new turbo that should put me in the 350rwhp range any time now, that will be fun. Then i will have more power thent he vettes, weigh less, have better gears (at least for sub ~130mph runs) and better aerodynamics.

My next car will hopfully be another RX7 that i drop an LSx into....

But enough about my cars...lol
Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Nah, the RX7 was sold a few months back. Used the $$$ from it to buy an engine for my MR2. Got it running a little while back, still stock for all pratical purposes. Only real mods are a boost controller and downpipe.

Putting down about 250RWHP at the wheels. Which may not sound like a lot but trust, me in an MR2 that is a LOT. For one thing the MR2 is a sprinter, it is VERY quick but not that fast if that makes sense. For example, i run out of gears around ~140mph with the stock redline and tires (since most people up both they can usually hit ~160). The vette is geared to go almost 200mph in 5th gear and it doesn't rev as high.

Riding with the Z06 today, my car pushes you back in your seat just as much if not more then them in the short term (they DO have more tourqe of course).

I am getting a new turbo that should put me in the 350rwhp range any time now, that will be fun. Then i will have more power thent he vettes, weigh less, have better gears (at least for sub ~130mph runs) and better aerodynamics.

My next car will hopfully be another RX7 that i drop an LSx into....

But enough about my cars...lol

My Z is at about 385 RWHP...biggest problem is keeping it pointed where I want it

To bring us back on topic...thats what got me wanting a SC for the truck. Ive had the truck a long time, After driving the Vette for a while, I feel like I have to push the pedal through the floor to get it to go anywhere That simply wont do! I love my truck and I love to wheel...but she needs some more ooomph!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

You will be very happy with the supercharger. While not near as fast as my car i can drive the 4runner and still have fun.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Can anyone confirm the direction of airflow in the IAC line? I am installing the ckeck valve, but I could not get ahold of the Tyota one so It does not have the same markings. I want to make sure I am putting it in there right. If I understand correct, air is flowing away from the TB (in other words, vacuum the the TB)? Is this correct?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

You want vacume to be seen on that line but not boost. I forgot exactly how it is supposed to be on there, i know it took me some time to figure it out as well.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM

I think we are talkin the same. Pretty much what I had, you do NOT want air blowing into the TB. It should provide vacuum TO the TB. I had to clarify, because the colors are opposite on this vavle from what the instructions say. My valve will have the black side furthest from the TB. anywho..

One more to confirm. The URG guide says high pressure fuel line. Unless Im reading it wrong there is only one fuel supply line and one return line So I guess supply is high pressure and return is considered low? I tagged the supply line with red tape in this photo. Let me know if that looks right. Its the line going into the pass side fuel rail.

Also, how much fuel should I expect when I cut it?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, that is the Fuel line you want to splice into. The amount of fuel is minimal, i never worry about it, just make sure there are no sparks or hot things around for a little bit when you do it and you are outside.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks dude! Ill have some more updates tonight...after a few beers!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Well It isnt running yet...but Im getting close! I really wanted to have it running over my long weekend, but I kind of knew that was a stretch. Oh well.

Right now I have the SC in the truck, the 7th injector is mounted and fuel lines hooked up. I still need to hook up the rest of the vac lines, and solder in the URD boxes. The interior is still mostly apart, but that only takes an hour or so to put back. Then I can fire it up and the real adventure begins...trying to tune it! Of course I actually have to go back to work tomorrow so things will really go slowly now!

I dont have the relocation bracket for the dip stick. Can someone get some good pictures of this and how TRD did it. Im going to have to fab up something simple to move it over a few inches, but Id like to see TRD's solution.

TA, Id like to know where you got your spakplug wires, or did you make your own? These boots look a little different, Im not sure how to do that. But a few more inches of length would make me feel a lot more confortable with the setup. I think they will work as is, but a little more length could get them tucked away a little better.

So for tonight, this is where she sits

These URD pulleys sure are purdy

Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Looking good!

As for the oil dipstick, mine didn't come with the braket either but i just left it alone. If you move the alternator out to the end of the braket the belt will just clear the dipstick. Can't check the oil while the engine is runningb ut then you don't do that anyways.

Worked fine for me for 6 months.

The plug wires are NGK if i remember right, i got them at Pepboys. In one of my other threads i listed them i am pretty sure.

Tuning is not bad, just make sure the wideband is working right. Took me a few days of off and on street tuning to get it pretty darn close then small changes over time to dial it in.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Nice build up thread and super nice garage

Here is the picture of the bracket....pretty sure you can easily fab up something.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 AM

Thanks Iceman! fabbing something up will be no prob. Just wanted to see how they had it. Thats kinda what I had in mind.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM

OK, these vacuum lines are gonna get the best of me Accordint to the instructions I cut the IAC hose (this is the bottom line coming off the TB), and placed a one way valve in there. but according to the diagram I am also supposed to T the "fast Idle" valve into it (this is the small disk like deal on the pass side of the TB...pretty small line?)? The diagram also shows the PCV valve going all the way to the large elbow on the back of the SC...thats not that confusing really, other than where to run the stinkin line. But the other one that gets me is the line going into the evap canister (yeah found that no prob) is supposed to "t" into the VSV???

I guess the real issue is that the 1st gen and 2nd gen vacuum diagrams dont match up, and the first gen instructions leave off with placing the SC in place, but dont go any further. Any input and or pictures on routing vacuum lines?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

The very last page of the manual i uploaded has a vacume diagram, look at that and see if that helps. That is what i used for my install.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 AM

TA, The only prob I have with that is they dont all seem to be on there. On the TB there is the IAC line at the bottom and the fast idle pointing to the pass side, then on the SC near the TB is another one pointing toward the back of the truck. The diagram only shows the fast idel and one more...what I assume they are shoing is the IAC. So what do I do with the one on the SC?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 AM

e-mail gadget at urd.com he is the super charger king and loves to help out
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

TA, The only prob I have with that is they dont all seem to be on there. On the TB there is the IAC line at the bottom and the fast idle pointing to the pass side, then on the SC near the TB is another one pointing toward the back of the truck. The diagram only shows the fast idel and one more...what I assume they are shoing is the IAC. So what do I do with the one on the SC?
Which one on the SC? IIRC the only ones on the SC are boost ports that don't really go to anything.

I can try snapping a picture of mine if you show me where you are talking about.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM

TA, Here is the primary one of concern. on the back side close to the TB

Although I count a total of 5 on the SC. These two on the back, the elbow goes to PCV, the other I believe should go into the evap line. But the diagram shows it teeing off into somewhere.

This one towards the bottom goes to the brake booster

And this one in the back with the line going to it is the boost port.

Let me know if you got anything different than me. And if any of yours are just capped off (that would rock!)

Ian, good idea. Ill shoot him an email and see what he says.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

I will snap some picture when i am working on my car later today and see if they help you.

Quick Reply: skrassow's 1999 Tacoma Build-Up Thread