YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

X-Cab Tacoma rear side window latches broken - common issue?

No luck searching here.

Anybody else had problems with this? I can't figure out a way to replace the latch without removing more interior than I care to. The windows do latch/lock shut and don't flop around when driving, but I don't like the fact that both of these are broken.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

2001 Tacoma. Ext. cab. SR5 TRD. 3.4/Auto. 4WD. 101k. Camper shell.

1995.5 Tacoma. Ext. cab. 2.7/5 spd. 4WD. Drove to a head gasket failure at 255k in Dec. '08. Sold it, was repaired and put back on the road.
jdsdj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #2

I have one that is broke... But it still latches closed. I just dont open it any more cause if i do it flops around like you are experiencing. This is one of my small side/back windows though not the Rear sliding window. My last tacoma (95.5) had the snap for the Back window broke but i never did fix it. It came in handy one time when i locked the keys in the truck and had to crawl through to open the door. I'd say you might be able to find a part like that for cheap from a dealer or check junkyards.
2004 3.4l Taco TRD SR5 5spd. 2.5" Daystar spacer lift up front, Shackles and Hellwig 1500lb Helpers in the back, Marlin Crawler HD Clutch, 265/75/16 General Grabbers, Softopper, Land Cruiser 80 Wheels. Deckplate mod. Camo Door/Tailgate Handle Mod.
HazMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
Get a new latch from the dealer, they are quite cheap you will find.

On the 01+ tacomas, they redesigned the interior panels so you have to remove them inorder to replace that latch. 00 and earler bolted over the panel, 01+ bolted under the panel. There really isn't any other way to do it. Luckily, its a fairly simple and straightforward procedure. Just takes a few hours and a couple of beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

an excuse to drink beer you say...hmmm might have to leave work early to "fix" this.
2004 3.4l Taco TRD SR5 5spd. 2.5" Daystar spacer lift up front, Shackles and Hellwig 1500lb Helpers in the back, Marlin Crawler HD Clutch, 265/75/16 General Grabbers, Softopper, Land Cruiser 80 Wheels. Deckplate mod. Camo Door/Tailgate Handle Mod.
HazMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCougar View Post
There really isn't any other way to do it.
I figured as much. This truck is surprisingly tight inside with very few rattles and pops. The PO seems to have cared for it really well and never abused it. That's the main reason I'm really hesitant to start pulling the interior apart just to replace these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCougar View Post
Just takes a few hours and a couple of beers
As if I need an excuse for that...

2001 Tacoma. Ext. cab. SR5 TRD. 3.4/Auto. 4WD. 101k. Camper shell.

1995.5 Tacoma. Ext. cab. 2.7/5 spd. 4WD. Drove to a head gasket failure at 255k in Dec. '08. Sold it, was repaired and put back on the road.
jdsdj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #6

Yes - the XtraCab quarter window latches are notorious for breaking. The latch pieces are basically not designed sturdily enough.

A guy in SoCal offers metal replacements, with which folks have had varying results. There's a thread over at CustomTacos with a link to his website and a string of posts about how they worked for folks who tried them:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=126783
EnolaGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 4runner, 955, back, broken, cab, denver, extended, gasket, head, kit, latch, side, tacoma, window, windows