Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wrecked '98 taco, ready for mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wrecked '98 taco, ready for mods

I recently hydroplaned my paid-for stock '98 tacoma ext. cab 4x4 SR5 daily driver w/ only 95K miles on it into a train vydok concrete support pillar. It was head-on, but mainly only driver's side fender damaged. I only had liability ins., so I bought loaded '98 Maxima for daily driver, and put taco in garage on jack stands. Just got blown-out tire and wheel and crumpled fender off today, looks like lower control arm sheared in half just behind shock mount. Axle is hanging out of ripped boot at transfer case, but everything else looks pretty intact. Slight damage to the bumper and grill, and a little folding at edges of hood and left door.
I am presently a novice under a rig, but I pick up on things pretty quickly and understand basics. I am considering using this as an excuse to go all out with a SAS and transform it into a hardcore trail rig now, but time and budget constraints point to the more logical approach of just fixing the IFS and wheelin' it for awhile until I'm ready for more later. I can't justify having my only truck sitting on stands while I save money for SAS when all it needs is a control arm to be running like it used to.
I would like to hear suggestions on how ya'll think I should proceed.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

fix it wheel it, expirence from there will lead you to bigger and better things. Why sas if it may not be at all what you want/need. Maybe you want a high speed runner. imo just fix it wheel it and learn the limits and go from there. Im not assuming you havent wheeled before, just think thats the logical way to go, plus sourcing parts for a quick/cheaper fix gets your taco on the road and trail where it belongs.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

What you're talking about is a ripped outer boot on your CV and it's not a transfercase up there - it's your front differential.

SAS is costly so if you can't foot it right now, just wait and do it right. Get to know more about your rig and where you can score deals on parts.

BTW I have a lower control arm and fender I could sell ya but shipping would not make it worth the while.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2001 Taco had the almost the same damage: http://community.webshots.com/album/383446112ZpbXpN

I found a lower control arm for $40 from a salvage yard. It drove fine after replacing the LCA.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Shows what I know (or don't know) at this point!

Originally Posted by Tanto
What you're talking about is a ripped outer boot on your CV and it's not a transfercase up there - it's your front differential.
Told ya I was a novice I hadn't researched much before making my post. I now realize the difference in the t-case and the front diff., connected via the front driveshaft.
Thanks for the lesson!