Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Would Anyone Buy a 2003 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would Anyone Buy a 2003 4Runner?

Would anyone buy a 2003 4Runner 4x4?

I have a '96 4x4 Ltd with 135,000 miles on her. I took a brief (like 5 min) look at the 03 4Runners but was not impressed.

Is there something I am missing?

Maybe I should wait for the 05's... that should give Toyota enough time to really refine their design...

-N8
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 PM

I have the exact black 4runner that's seen in the picture above, except I have nerf bars for the sides, and tailight covers in the back, leather interior, and its a fivespeed.
To answer your question... No I think it would take alot for me to buy the 2003. I am a little worried though, because I noticed that the local Toyota dealership is offering deals already on the 2003. If this trend continues and and the 2003 doesn't sell as hotly as Toyota thought, they will discount them, which will cut into the resale value of those of use who have one that's a year or two older.

When I bought my car, I bought it because I didn't want a mamoth suv, and I bought it because when I looked at the car, I thought it looked awsome. I can't say the same thing with the new 4runner. I test drove one Tue, and I was lessed then impressed. The new model doesn't look as the older one, some of the interior stuff on the limited felt realy cheep. Close a door on it and they feel like an geo, I thought. I can't speek for an Sport Edition, because I didn't get to see one, even though the pictures I saw were a little of a turn off because of the chevy avalanche style plastic across the sides. The new 4runner did feel quite a bite roomier on the inside. I felt like I was driving a much larger vehicle though which I didn't like. Another thing I don't like is that they aren't offering any manual transmissions. If you've driven an older 4runner with a five speed you will never want to go back, unless you commute in alot of city traffic...
My personal opinion is that the Japanes design department at Toyota's truck has a couple of screws loose at the moment. I think some of the other auto maker are coming out with better looking, more innovative products. For instance... the highlander.... and the latest I think it was Tundra I saw with an extremely fugly rear end.
:pat:
Old 12-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

New 4Runner They drive real nice, but that was about it. The V8 is great but I would rather stick to my 3rd Gen and add a SC. Not impressed at all. The SR5 is hideous and the limited is only a little better because the painted those horrible fender flares.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:13 PM

I think I might. I like the features it comes with. I don't know, but I don't plan on giving up my 3rd gen until about 2008 so we'll see what happens then.

Al
Old 12-05-2002, 08:12 PM
AUJWE

Nope. I stopped by the dealership w/ my girlfriend while I was home for Turkey Day and she said, "God those are ugly." Nuff said.

Joey
Old 12-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yup. My wife will need to eventually replace her '93 Pathfinder. The new 4-Runner will be the first thing that we look at. I am very happy with the engine (a budy has it in his Tundra). Also, how bad could it be? It's a Toyota. They don't make too many mistakes.

With my "in" at the dealer, we could get a great deal on one.

I can't think of any other sport utility to buy. Wake up everyone. The third generation 4-runner is a wonderful rig, but you can't buy them anymore. All good things come to an end. What else would you buy? An Explorer? No wait, maybe a Trailblazer. There isn't anything out there that even comes close.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

on a thread a while back, people were comparing what they thought the new 4runner looks like, i remember mazda tribute and avalance were a couple mentioned.

well now i can add one more. ford explorer. one day i was driving and i thought i saw a new ford explorer in front of me, but it turned out to be a new 4runner. so yeah, that's not good. you'd never mistake a 3rd gen. i like some of the features on the 03s, but i wouldn't want one.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:46 PM

I have a 98 4runner ltd,

checked out a 03 runner

likes - V8
dislikes - new looks, interior, price, pushy salesman

If you havn't sat in a new 4 runner yet, be prepared to by highly dissapointed. Toyota could have done a much better job on the whole interior of the car. I mentiond to the saleman about how much plastic they used on the inside of the car, he said, "Toyota doesn't use plastic in thier vehicles, they use composites!", you say Toe-mate-o, I say Toe moto, a rose by any other name!, and the outside, don't get me started, good thing my runner is in great shape, I honestly know I would put a factory crate engine in my current runner before I would purchase the new model. Think a shoe horn could get that V-8 in my runner?

oh well that just my humble opinion
Old 12-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Away

I agree with everyone who made negative comments about the new 4Runner.

Dr. Z
Old 12-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may eat these words. I dont like it either.

Someone rich will get one, and do it up right sometime soon. It will look phat and everyone will then like them.

Does this not always happen?

Jay
Old 12-05-2002, 10:25 PM

Has anyone here taken the 03 offroad? I had the chance to and I can confess it was absolutely amazing, except for the ground clearance. It doesn't comare to any old built up rig, but for the "city" guy who likes to dabble in the woods every so often it does wonders. If any of you have seen the new model 4runner cd that Toyota gives to the Master techs to explain the new suspension and 4wd system, it is some pretty new high tech ˟˟˟˟(although very pricey to fix). I am also impressed how they kept the price sticker for around the same price as the '02s, even with the V8 and high tech 4wd goodies.:eek:
Old 12-06-2002, 12:33 AM
Contributing Member

Has anyone here taken the 03 offroad?
Check this out for a full report.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:54 AM

Thumbs down I Agree!!!

Nothing I have seen so far on the 03 4Runner will cause me to run out and sell my '97 Ltd 4x4... no way!

Not only that there are HEAPS of mods I can now do to my truck to make it fit my lifestyle and hobbies...

I always ask when thinking about a new activity..." ummmm does Yak make a rack for that???

However, if I ever get my hands on a 98 LC..... mmmmmmmmmm!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

If I needed a new rig right now, I would. What else are you going to get (new that is). The main thing I hate about the 4th is that it is 2" lower. Add a lift, when they come out, and you are back to a stock 3rd gen. I agree the looks are disappointing and could have been much better (think Lexus GX), but I could live w/ it. I like the new features it has on it and for my purpose (minimum off-road) it would be more than adequate, especially with the V-8 5sp torque sensing full-time 4WD and larger passenger interior. One thing I cannot understand is why does the GX get a transfer case lever and the 4R gets buttons?
Old 12-06-2002, 06:24 AM

Would and did. Now I must admit that it is the wife's daily driver. But we both liked it. I have owned a first, 2 seconds and now a fourth gen. My two dislikes with the 4th are clearance, and the side clading. I just do not like the way the wheels look inside those wheel wells. But other than that we both love it. Hopefully it will not be long before some type of suspension upgrades are available. The things just needs more beef underneath. I think it looks great from the front, the rear is nice, and the interior is better than any other gen Runner. We did get a Black Limited.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:24 AM

Right on, I just saw a black Limited, and it looks really good. Like someone said above, as soon as a person gets a limited, jacks it up a few inches, and gets some cool mods, everyone will change their tune.

Face it, for basically the same sticker as the '02, toyota has made a bigger and better vehicle. If only they had thought twice about the cladding and wheel well shapes - oh, that reminds me, I heard that within 90 days the SR5 will be offered with body color cladding.

As soon as it is, I'm ordering an all white SR5 with the V8 and 4WD. As soon as I get a little lift and 32's, I'll put up a pic. By that time people will be coming around. Mark my words...
Old 12-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

I dunno, i'd never trade my 02 runner, i'm keeping this thing to the end!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:50 PM

I have a 1992. I love this thing, but when it does move onto that great place above the clouds where the greatest vehicles go, I think that I am going to get one. I have recently started to have the love of a Toyota 4Runner and want to stick with that when this one dies. I believe that I will get one. :fireman:
Old 12-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If I had the money and they painted the cladding on the sport model then I would. I really like the looks of the limited, but way too much money.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
One more thing. I remember hearing about alot of complaints from 4Runner enthusients(sp) when Toyota went to 4 doors and a hard top back in 90. Toyota is just trying to sell a vehicle that the masses will want. They just need to get rid of or paint the cladding. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: Would Anyone Buy a 2003 4Runner?