Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Will my runner pull this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, Toyota recommends against using a weight distributing hitch.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragr1
Oh yeah, Toyota recommends against using a weight distributing hitch.
What? Where did you read this? I think you must be taking this out of context. I think if you are using a weight distributing hitch as a justification for exceeding the GVWR then that is an accurate statement. But just broadly recommending against the use of a wd hitch, no way. Even a 3000 pound load I would have the wd hitch hooked up. It allows me to increase the tongue weight and greatly improves overall handling. I explain the difference to people this way: The wd hitch makes the tow rig and trailer/load feel more like one big vehicle instead of a tow rig attached to a trailer.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeremys73
cool, thanks for the link...
I think it may pull it, for only pulling it maybe twice a year. I will continue to search other trailers and would appreciate anymore advice/wisdom.

But what gets me is that this GUY is pulling around one just as heavy (Zeppelin 190 with Weight#3820, Hitch weight#570, length=22'5") with a KIA Sorento rated to pull 3500#

I emailed him and asked how well it pulls it.
If you are talking about an occasional thing--just to move here to there I think you will be fine. Must haves 1. Trailer brakes in tip top condition (4Runner too of course) 2. Transmission cooler 3. Prodigy brake controller 4. weight distributing hitch with sway control 5. OD left OFF 6. Patience 7. Keep speed to 60 mph or even less. If you have to live in the thing I would get the biggest thing I could tow and lighten it as much as possible before moving it.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
What? Where did you read this? I think you must be taking this out of context. I think if you are using a weight distributing hitch as a justification for exceeding the GVWR then that is an accurate statement. But just broadly recommending against the use of a wd hitch, no way. Even a 3000 pound load I would have the wd hitch hooked up. It allows me to increase the tongue weight and greatly improves overall handling. I explain the difference to people this way: The wd hitch makes the tow rig and trailer/load feel more like one big vehicle instead of a tow rig attached to a trailer.

I'll find where I read this, but I'm pretty sure it was in the owners manual.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 AM

I got this PM from another forum. An RV forum... So I think I will look into that range. And if it won't pull it, then I guess my boss will have to pull it down on his F250 PS after he gets done pulling his 39' FW.

Hi Jeremy,

For what I will say, I prefer doing it by a private message and I think you will understand. Yes, your 4R will do the job with the TT you mentionned in your post. For the last 3 years, i'm pulling a 4,200# loaded, 25'TT with my 2003 Pathfinder V6 3.5 litres, 4.36 diff. I'm very satisfied with the overall performance of my rig. I just follow speed limits, tow with OD off, keep my distances (in other words, using my head instead of my right foot...). After all, you will be pulling about 5 times a year and 150 miles in mostly flat lands, so towing at 55-60 mph will not be an issue for you. Howerver, I strongly suggest that you get a good weight distribution hitch like the Equali-Zer or Reese Dual-Cam (no need for an Hensley with a 25' TT !) and an auxiliary tranny cooler is an absolute must.
And of course, pack as light as possible.

If you have any question, PM me. I will be back next monday.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to tow my 21 foot wakeboard boat (total weight approx 5000 lbs loaded) and will never do it again. I ended up completley blowing out my rear end and bending both my rear axels. However, I did tow it way too much and on diffucult terrain (over mountain passes, pot-holed dirt roads, steep and questionable launch ramps etc..) You may be ok if you are more careful than I was or at least more aware. I didn;t think twice about it untill I heard clunking from the rear and my runner wouldn't move anymore. Just a word of caution from somebody that learned the hard way.....
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Man, I can't imagine how must abuse that 8" must have taken for that to happen; the one piece Toyota housings flex less under load than most Chevy 3/4 ton units.

Jeremy--I would highly consider finding a trailer with a dry weight closer to 3,500 lbs. By the time you add your camping gear, food, water, bicycles, etc totaling 1,000 pounds, you will still have a 500 pound reserve before hitting the max tow limit. Get what you want, but a lighter trailer will make your trips less stressful on yourself and your 4Runner.

Have you looked at R-Vision's Trail-Lite series? They're lighter than the Zeppelins and *really* light if you get the "expandable" models. (Expandables have fold-down queen beds at the ends of the trailer--sort of a hybrid between a hardshell trailer and a tent trailer.) I considered buying one a while back--quality is great and they're very space efficient and extremely light.

Ken

Last edited by paddlenbike; 02-24-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:03 AM

I will look into those R-Vision's. I would like to find one of the one's with the rear queen slide (they have hard sides) to make up a little footage. Maybe an 18' with rear slide. I got a post on that RV forum of a taco owner. I just need to keep searching all the models.

I'm towing with a 2001 Tacoma, which has the same 3.4 liter V6 as your 4Runner. Our Rockwood 2104 is 21' long and about 3,800 lbs. loaded for camping. I've said in other posts that I wouldn't want to tow any more weight than that with this truck.

However, if you will be towing it with the water tanks empty and not much other stuff on mostly flat roads, you might get by weight-wise. I'm not so sure about the length of the trailer, though. That's a lot of trailer for a 4Runner. Whatever you do, you would want a WD hitch.

You should know the weight of your truck by actually weighing it (preferably with a full tank of gas and any other stuff that normally lives in or on the truck). Subtract your truck's weight from the GVWR; somewhere I came up with 9,000 lbs for my 2001 Tacoma. The result will give you an absolute maximum you can tow, but safety and good sense say you should tow less than that.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jeremys73
I will look into those R-Vision's. I would like to find one of the one's with the rear queen slide (they have hard sides) to make up a little footage. Maybe an 18' with rear slide. I got a post on that RV forum of a taco owner. I just need to keep searching all the models.

The advantage the Tacoma is the rear leaf spring suspension which sags less and has more stability for towing.