Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What do I need for cross country + wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need for cross country + wheeling?

I'll keep this short. Taking pickup across country instead of 4Runner. Need it to go somewhat offroad. Must be good on highway. Must be not too much $$$.

Here is what I have in mind:

3.5" body lift lift, 1" body lift -- $700
31x10.5x15 dueler a/t revos -- $500
Engine Rebuild/weber carb/headers/cam -- $1000
electric locker --- $800

I think a locker makes up fairly well for the 2wd, I obviously wouldn't be doing any real rocks, but I'm more of a trails-and-dirt type anyway. I can't think of anything else I would need, I am bringing my mountain bike and backpack as well. I will sleep in a tent or in the bed (w/ a little mini camping cot) I don't see the need for much else, I have a white gas stove to cook on so I don't have to have fires all the time. I should maybe get a CB or something as well, would be nice to have some communications. I was also thinking about a very basic camping setup in the camper top, maybe a bed, some storage, a sink and a stove. I know some people who could make wooden shizzle. It'd be nice to have a little mini-camper as breaking camp each day is a PITA. The other nice thing I just saw on the boards (again) is that hot water shower...I'd be spoiled if I used it, but I wouldn't mind a shower once in a while on the road...I can use the bathroom at stops or in the woods, but a shower is harder. Maybe I'll look at it closer...does it need it's own pump of some kind???
Old 04-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd throw a winch in there. You don't necessarily need a huge bumper, you just need an attachment point like a front hitch. Find a welder that will make you one. With a setup like that you can move the winch to the back hitch if you need to.

For your application I'd say a winch is more important that a locker because you will most likely be alone. I'm sure you read the tow strap thread and I'd say that a locker is better than a winch, but only if there are other people there that can pull you out. If you're alone with a locker and get stuck, then there's no way you can get out without somebody else there. I'm thinking you'll come upon some mud puddles in the middle of the dirt roads, not necessarily rocks.

The next best thing is a hi-lift, but you have to practice with it and know how to use it...and you have to be strong. I'm a little weakling so I have to hang on the handle just to lift my truck.

As for showers, if the RM shower isn't for you, then cabelas has some neat propane showers. Oh, and yes, the RM shower comes with a pump.

Steve
Old 04-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

I did an extended road trip years ago with a (non-Toyota) 2wd truck and took it on quite a few so-called 4wd only trails. As far as the truck goes, find the cheapest way to get ground clearance, as that is the biggest limiting factor on the trails. After that, a cheap 2 ton hand winch from Home Depot (about $25) and a chunk of chain or a tow strap for an extention will get you out of most situations with a lot of sweat. I never had to use mine but it was nice to know it was there and a whole lot cheaper than a Warn winch and a bumper to mount it on. As far as the shower goes, almost all bigger truck stops have showers you can pay to use (some a lot cleaner than others) and you could pay for a lot of showers with what it costs for some of the shower rigs people will sell you. KOA campgrounds are another good source, they will almost always let you use the showers for a couple bucks even if you don't stay there. Have fun on the trip.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:19 AM

Well, I could get a winch and use it with a hitch reciever front and rear AND get a lunchbox locker of some kind, that would probably be even cheaper than just an electric locker. I don't think I'll be seeing any snow or ice, and it would be nice to have a locker and winch....but the selectable lockers are much more...selectable. I'm not sure how driving cross country with a locker would be....anyone have any input??? Highways are mostly straight and stuff...
Old 04-21-2003, 09:30 AM

This past summer I drove from California to Virginia with a Lock-Right locker that I installed 2 days before the trip. It was no problem at all. Around town you will of course feel a little and hear it in parking lots clicking around turns. But as far as the actual long distance drive it was no problem- and a real nice added bonus on the trails. Mine took about 2-3 hours to install and cost about $250. Its still in the Runner and is still goin fine.

When are you doin your drive?
I will be goin form Virgina to Cali at the end of May and early June.