Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Weirdest and Loudest Noise...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weirdest and Loudest Noise...?

Alright last night I was out and about. I did a u turn at a dead end after I had turned around. I heard a ridiculously annoying, loud, and weird noise.

I have absolutely no idea what it was, but it sounded like I was just dragging a huge peice of metal. First thought I had was that my exhaust was dragging since I had new exhaust put on not too long ago. I got out and looked, nothing was dragging. Got back in and it started doing it again. It did it for about 5 minutes and then it just stopped.

I tried to go out this morning and duplicate what I did, but I wasn't able to get the same result, which is probably a good thing. It was loud enough that my girlfriend who lived down the street called and asked me what the noise was. So, yeah it was really loud.

Sorry I can't describe it better. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck, but I'm not positive. It only did it when the truck was in motion. Just looking for possible explanations...
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 AM

dont really know.. maybe u had a rock in your rear drum?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Del34
Alright last night I was out and about. I did a u turn at a dead end after I had turned around. I heard a ridiculously annoying, loud, and weird noise.

I have absolutely no idea what it was, but it sounded like I was just dragging a huge peice of metal. First thought I had was that my exhaust was dragging since I had new exhaust put on not too long ago. I got out and looked, nothing was dragging. Got back in and it started doing it again. It did it for about 5 minutes and then it just stopped.

I tried to go out this morning and duplicate what I did, but I wasn't able to get the same result, which is probably a good thing. It was loud enough that my girlfriend who lived down the street called and asked me what the noise was. So, yeah it was really loud.

Sorry I can't describe it better. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck, but I'm not positive. It only did it when the truck was in motion. Just looking for possible explanations...
First off, what do you drive?

Can't help you without knowing that.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

.. if it's a manual tranny, did you have it in gear all the way? ..second, could it have been your tires rubbing? you said you were doing a u-turn..
Old 07-31-2005, 05:45 PM

Could also be a sign of a CV on its way out, they make a loud crank sound when turned at a very sharp angle. At least mine does and its going bad.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM

honestly, depending on what year. I really think it's the turn stops. I had it on my 90 pickup and boy oh boy was that loud.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was the sound there only when you were turning or even going straight?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:13 PM

GEN 2s are FAMOUS for the steering stop "bang" crank that wheel over hard and then just think about rolling over a dime and SquEEEEEEEEEk. grease them up with some heavy grease .......search for groan stopper bolt covers ....or learn to live with it....
Old 07-31-2005, 09:32 PM

98 4runner automatic transmission. It's not tires rubbing. It did it even when I was going straight. It didn't matter if my foot was on the gas, or off, or braking.

The rock in a drum sounds like it might be a possible answer...would it make that horrendous noise even when I don't have the brakes depressed?

When I was driving home again tonight I thought I might've heard it, but I couldn't tell because I had my stereo up. After I turned it down, I heard nothing.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was gonna suggest the steering stop caps, those are noisey as all heck, metal on metal, but if it happens when your going straight, that takes that out of the equation.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:59 PM

im thinking eithier the rock in the drum or just really shot brakes. and yes even just moving the car would make a noise like that. my dad had a honda accord and his brakes were going out and one morning he just moved the car outta the driveway and i thought he was dragging a metal trashcan behind him... so id check your brakes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rowdy4runnin
im thinking eithier the rock in the drum or just really shot brakes. and yes even just moving the car would make a noise like that. my dad had a honda accord and his brakes were going out and one morning he just moved the car outta the driveway and i thought he was dragging a metal trashcan behind him... so id check your brakes
Thanks. I'll have them checked. Cause it definitely did sound like I was dragging a big old hunk of metal.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Springs from the brake shoes can pop off and get lodged inbetween the shoes and drum and make one hell of a noise.