Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Valve Covers, TB, airsurge, and lower intake gasket replacement? Knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Valve Covers, TB, airsurge, and lower intake gasket replacement? Knock sensor?

ok i've done a LOT of searching and found very little on these subjects.

I have a LOT of questions:

1. Im going to be pulling the Throttle body from the upper intake and fully cleaning it. When I reattach it, I'm going to use a new gasket. Should I use any gasket cement or anything like it? What problems can I run into cleaning my TB like this?

2. I'm pulling the upper intake off so I can access both valve covers, will the new gasket require a cement of some kind?

3. I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets, this is something I have never done before, and I dont have my chiltons. (lost it) What's this I hear about rubber grommets?? And again should i use some sort of pvt compound or gasket cement.

4. PVC valve should be replaced and the hose for it too right?

5. Finally should I just throw down and replace the knock sensor/harness too? I dont even know what the knock sensor looks like.

The maze of vacum lines and throttle linkages dont really intimidate me, i've pretty much got the picture of the plenum memorized and ive taken dozens of pics to boot.

And does anyone have any pics on ANY of this stuff that will help me?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:26 PM

ok so what happened to all the technical posts that used to fill this forum?

ttt
Old 09-22-2004, 04:39 AM

helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 09-22-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry man, I got nothing for you, but I too am interested as I will be doing the valve cover gaskets as well. I was told by a Toyota mechanic to use RTV at the corners of valve cover gaskets to help prevent leaks, if that’s any help.
I don’t know about any rubber grommets.

bump for ya.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:48 PM

take the old pcv valve and drill it out. Add a peice of hose to that and put a new pcv vavle inline in that hose. I modded mine and it works fine. No longer have to get under the manifold to get at the pcv. Try searching for a thread called " pcv mod" . I have a pic if you want it on how to set up.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Babypig
take the old pcv valve and drill it out. Add a peice of hose to that and put a new pcv vavle inline in that hose. I modded mine and it works fine. No longer have to get under the manifold to get at the pcv. Try searching for a thread called " pcv mod" . I have a pic if you want it on how to set up.

cool Ill do that search asap, that sounds like a GREAT mod to do.

btw do you know anything pertaining to the rest of my questions?

Thanks man
Steve
Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
ok i've done a LOT of searching and found very little on these subjects.

I have a LOT of questions:

1. Im going to be pulling the Throttle body from the upper intake and fully cleaning it. When I reattach it, I'm going to use a new gasket. Should I use any gasket cement or anything like it? What problems can I run into cleaning my TB like this?

I don't belive so. Watch you don't damage the Throttle body position sensor.

2. I'm pulling the upper intake off so I can access both valve covers, will the new gasket require a cement of some kind?

No

3. I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets, this is something I have never done before, and I dont have my chiltons. (lost it) What's this I hear about rubber grommets?? And again should i use some sort of pvt compound or gasket cement.

The gaskets are rubber and simple to replace. Yes there are a few places you need sealant per the FSM. If you need the file post here and I can email it to you.

4. PVC valve should be replaced and the hose for it too right?

Yes. It's real cheap

5. Finally should I just throw down and replace the knock sensor/harness too? I dont even know what the knock sensor looks like.

That's a bit of extra work to get to that harness. You will have to deal with the fuel system, intake manifold and the water by pass outlet (PITA). Have some new hose ready for the reinstall and the new gaskets.
I might be tempted to leave the knock sensor harness alone. The other camp say's that it's a cheap harness and easy to replace once you get down to it.
The sensor is right in the middle of the block b/w the heads.

The maze of vacum lines and throttle linkages dont really intimidate me, i've pretty much got the picture of the plenum memorized and ive taken dozens of pics to boot.

I change all the lines when I did the head gasket.

And does anyone have any pics on ANY of this stuff that will help me?
You will need some torque specs and tighening/removal bolt patters to do it correctly. Post if you need these. Change you plugs and their harness while you're down in there.

Good Luck,
Sam

Sam

Last edited by Samgotit; 09-22-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Samgotit beat me to the punch, but here's my response that I already had typed up...

The first thing I would highly recommend is to buy the factory repair manual for your specific truck. I also wasted money and bought a Chilton's, but feel it is nowhere near as detailed as the Toyota manual. It will pay for itself in saved labor, parts, time, etc. All of the above are at least important to me. Plus the troubleshooting charts in the Toyota manual are very useful. I'll get off the soap box now.

1. Just buy the throttle body gasket from Toyota. You won't need any extra cement or form-in-place gasket. I cleaned my TB many years ago and didn't have any issues. Just use carb cleaner and a tooth brush.

Warning: don't clean (or soak down) the throttle position sensor or dash pot.

Since you're removing and cleaning the throttle body you might check that the throttle position sensor is adjusted properly. I had problems with mine several years ago and that is why I tore into the throttle body. It's not too tough to check and requires a multimeter and feeler gages.

2. Just buy the intake gasket from Toyota. Same as above, no FIPG needed.

3. Buy the valve cover gaskets from Toyota. You will need to add FIPG (form in place gasket) to several places on the head. I used name brand FIPG from O'Reilly's or Autozone, but maybe the Toyota type is better. I would image the grommets you are referring to are built into the covers. I left them alone.

Anyway, my valve covers were leaking years ago and even after replacing them when I adjusted the valves, the things started leaking again. I will replace the gaskets again when I adjust the valves in 25k miles or so. Any suggestions on the gaskets would be helpful for me also.

Since you have the top of your engine torn off, you might as well check your valve adjustment. Most of the battle is getting the vacuum lines and intake off anyway. Just my $.02 though.

4. Don't think I've replaced my PCV, but the mod sounds like a good idea.

5. Have not touched the knock sensor. I only start tearing into things if the engine is running funny and is generating codes. Or if there is scheduled maintenance needed.

Don't have any pics, but I could scan a few pages from my '88 manual (my '89 4Runner is a weird beast and doesn't have it's own manual) for procedures and spec's.

As Samgotit mentioned, it's probably a good idea to replace vacuum lines. My suggestion is to number each end of every connection so they go back together right. I guess you could rely on photos or memory, but I'd rather label them. Again, just my $.02.

(Back on soap box) I'd recommend to buy the FSM.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hey!

I tried replying last night, but I lost everything when I tried to post it. Sorry. I just did the valve cover gaskets about 3 months ago. I didn't use any kind of sealant or cement on anything except a little bit on the valve cover gaskets. Just put a little dab in the corners where the hump on the head meets the flat surface part of the head. Also, I ran a real thin bead along the top of each hump. The only grommet I can think of is the PCV valve grommet. You might as well replace the PCV valve and grommet while you are at it too. The valve should be less than $10. The pre-bent hose is more expensive at Toyota, but don't use just any ol hose. I tried that and my hose kept getting kinks in it, so just pay the extra $$ and get the Toyota hose if you need one.

I would also recommend you get your plenum cleaned at a machine shop. I forget what the process is called, but they soak it for several hours in some sort of solution. It cleans the inside real good and it cost around $15 for me. You will just have to spend a little bit more time taking all the extra stuff off the plenum if you do this, but that's no big deal.

As Samgotit said, to get to the knock sensor, you will have to remove the fuel rails and intake manifold. Kinda a pain, so if you don't need it fixed, I wouldn't do it.

Sorry I don't have any pics.

Well, hope it all works out!
Have fun all!
DH6twinotter
Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, you may want to replace your thermostate while you are at it too. It's real easy to get to anytime, but you might as well do it while you have the coolant drained.

Just a little side note!