Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra/OME front lift problems, many!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tundra/OME front lift problems, many!

I'm having a hell of a time with this Tundra coil, OME N91, and the 3/8" spacer lift. Biggest problems were with the compression of the springs, got by that finally... now, installing the assembly is proving to be impossible. I've used WaskillyWabbits write-up as a basis, but here's my deal: It seems that as I use the factory bottle jack to lower the upper A-arm, the ball joint assembly actually hits the coil itself and prevents me from lowering it far enough to get the bolt through the bottom shock mount. I know a picture would help, but I don't have access. In other words, the upper A-arm/ball joint metal piece is hitting on a coil and stopping travel, therefore making me pull my hair out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.... and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! (I'm not too pumped, I wasn't a very good boy this year, no way is Santa coming to my house!)
Old 12-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out Steve Schaefer's website for some helpful tips and ideas. I know if I can get 882s in there, you should be able to get those Tundra coils to go. I would say ask bamachem, but he is indisposed for a couple weeks while moving to a new job.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:08 PM

I wonder if my ball joints aren't had, letting the assembly bend in rather than putting the pressure down and lowering both A-arms
Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to pull the 4 bolts off of the bottom of the knuckle that connect the Lower Ball joint to the steering knuckle (same 4 bolts you pull when changing a CV. That along with some pry bar use will allow the installation.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, those... they aren't hard to find unless your out on the trail at 1am with random drunk chicks and a charokee with tires as big as my rig. I mean... who would that be...??
Old 12-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you forgot, i was also in shorts and a t-shirt in near freezing weather....i may have been mildly distracted by some other forces as well.....oh well, at least i made it in your avatar

i will let you in on a little secret, i knew where those bolts were all along, i was just hesitant to take them out because when i did my manual hubs like 2 days before the trip i started there and managed to mangle a bolt head pretty good and actually shatter a snap-on socket. after that happened i just went after the lower balljoint since mine had to come completely apart anyway. since that trip i have gone back with a breaker bar and nice deep well socket and pulled all of mine out and put them back in. apparently they get stuck in there pretty good after 7 years on the road. you may want to keep an eye on them though, i hear they have a tendancy to rattle their way loose.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 AM

Ahh, the spacer problem. I had spacers on my tundra, took me a year to realize it's only gonna kill the balljoints. Took it off asap.
By your discription, your spacer is on top of the coil plate rather than the underside. Let me tell you this, the oem set-up has just the right amount of extension when flexed, with the spacer on top you're pushing the suspension down further than what it's supposed to go and it's actually the top part of the spindle that is hitting the coils, I had the same issue back then, you will get contact under full drop/extension. If you have the under-the-plate spacers, you'll have no spindle to coil contact, a good thing. Both type of spacers will lift your tundra but each has it's draw backs. If $$ isn't an issue, go aftermarket adjustable coilovers.

Oh and about your installation, you could just disconnect the upper wishbone or upper balljoint, then you spindle swings out and slide you suspension in. Peice a cake job.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:38 AM

Oh wait, you have a 4runner, I was describoing a tundra. My bad.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
yeah, those... they aren't hard to find unless your out on the trail at 1am with random drunk chicks and a charokee with tires as big as my rig. I mean... who would that be...??
I was also out in there in the cold with you, still regreting that midnight "beer run" in that Cherokee, but if not for that we would have had to come back in the morning . There are three botls at the bottom of the lower control arm, pull the CV shaft out on the wheel side, and see if that gives you enough drop. to snug that coil up in there. I'm with Brian, if Steve can get 882s in then Tundra coils should be a walk in the park.

Last edited by Stump1883; 12-26-2004 at 09:01 AM.