Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

truck drifts to the right, no alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck drifts to the right, no alignment issue

I have noticed that my truck drives a little squirrely lately, and it has a moderate drift to the right. I brought it into Les Schwab yesterday for alignment check. I just had the tires rebalanced about a month ago to fix a vibration. The alignment check showed that it was fine, and if anything it should drift to the left. But even the Les Schwab guys agreed that they thought it was drifting to the right. They questioned their machine's calibration and said that it is due for calibration in a week or so, and maybe come back after that if it is still bothering me. They didn't suspect a defective tire, either. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

you've probably done this...but check the pressure and make sure they are the same for both front and both rear tires... also does this happen only during braking? or just normal driving? next i would check shocks and/or springs...GL!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by saintsteve
you've probably done this...but check the pressure and make sure they are the same for both front and both rear tires... also does this happen only during braking? or just normal driving? next i would check shocks and/or springs...GL!!!
It happens during normal driving. The tires were rotated and pressure checked. what would I be checking for with the shocks/springs?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Any wrecks or mishaps as of late? Anyone else ever drive the truck?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Any wrecks or mishaps as of late? Anyone else ever drive the truck?
no wrecks or mishaps. My girlfriend drives it from time to time, but I don't suspect anything from her....... I haven't really been rought with it lately, either. The truck, I mean.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
My girlfriend drives it from time to time, but I don't suspect anything from her
That's the first place I would look. Since you cant align the rear of a straight axle, maybe she jumped it or hit a curb.

(Not likely, but I thought I would throw it out there)
Old 07-31-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ewarner,

I had the same issues when the monkeys at Discount Tire Centers in El Monte, CA installed my new Revos. My 4runner never had a drifting problem. That is until these clowns installed my tires. These guys didn't even want to road test it (only a parking lot test---sheesh) until i made a mini-scene in their sales showroom. It's good to know how to profesionally bitch.

They had to adjust it 3 times b/f they got it right. The first time it cut the right drifting by 50%. Then the 2nd time it was still off...maybe drifting 40% less. So in frustration the monkey there cranked *something* under there but then it was drifting to the left by about 5%. i took it in the next morning and told them to adjust it a little to the right. They gave me so much attitude that i swore i'd never recommend these clowns to anyone else.

Anyways, it tracks straight but there is a little vibration in the steering wheel. Not good and i'm gonna take it to a more professional shop in a bout 5k---or at least until i can't stand it.

So my point is that this is a problem that can be fixed. Demand they do a road test with you, dont let him try to "nudge" the wheel to the left, and say "let go of the wheel." That was the only way I could get those guys to admit that the vehicle drifted.

Bob
Old 07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
what would I be checking for with the shocks/springs?
maybe if one has become "weak" therefore dropping the right front wheel? just a thought. also i have gotten an alignment before and hit a serious pothole on the way home and in turn one of the bolts loosened over about a weeks time and i had to have the alignment done over...damn georgia DOT!