Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

transmission woes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission woes?

This problem just started, when we put the truck in drive it doesnt go anywhere. You can hit the gas and it goes but it is fighting harder to go. Usually when it goes in drive it will go, now it does not and it is struggling to go when you hit the gas. I checked the tran fluid and it is fine. Not sure what thge problem is. Does anyone have an idea? I dont need it to blow up but it might be something stupid. Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replace your tranny filter with a new one

lube your driveshafts

check and see if your rear oil seals are leaking in your drums, if so you'll need to replace seals, shoes and diff fluid
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Put in the LUCAS TRANS AID, and I bet your problems are over. Fpr 10.00, what you got to loose. I had the same problem and I was told to do this, and that was 3 years ago. Truck still running great. The stuff works.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Last edited by keithguts; 10-06-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 PM

So I added the Trans Aid, nothing. Except now what happens is you hit the accelerator and you have to press for awhile, the engine revs ands then boom a violent lurch and a big clunk then it goes. Not sure what that is. Setting up an appointment to get it checked out before it goes kabloooey!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM

maybe put some sawdust in there... oops thats for ripping people off... nm.... let us know what it is
Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 PM

If you're low on fluid you can get a similar reaction. How is the fluid level? You might just have a leak somewhere.

Check the transmission kickdown cable on your throttle body.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

One of your rear axle seals is bad, and there is fluid in your drum. This causes the drum to stick, and it takes a little throttle to move from a stop. Look under your rear end and see if there is fluid splattered, usually there will be. Although on mine there was none.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

does it start OK in 1st?
sounds like shift solenoids to me.

the whole rev up clunk go.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

I am pretty sure it is an axle seal problem. It has exactly the same symptoms that I and some others have had. I also just dealt with shift solenoids last week, he didn't say that his CEL was on, which it should be with a solenoid malfunction.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM

check and make sure your speedo cable isnt broke i ran into a similar issue when my speedo cable broke it wouldnt shift out of drive another way to check this is to disconnect the shif selonoids and shift it manually
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crbocaj125
One of your rear axle seals is bad, and there is fluid in your drum. This causes the drum to stick, and it takes a little throttle to move from a stop. Look under your rear end and see if there is fluid splattered, usually there will be. Although on mine there was none.
Entirely possible for this scenario, just jack up the truck and easy to test by hand (wheel should spin freely). If both rears spin free, then make sure the fluid level in the tranny is correct (remember engine needs to be running to check). Next try shifting into gears manually (1st, 2nd, drive) and see how it does. If you still have an issue take it in to be looked at.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Though the shift solenoid would be the second thing I'd look at. Just curious but had a similar thing happen years ago before I put my tranny cooler in (I have 35's and 5.71 gears.... lots of work for an auto tranny at highway speeds).

At any rate after checking the other options see if you can put it in 4 low (lowest gear) and get it moving, then shift up till you get to a normal speed...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crbocaj125
I am pretty sure it is an axle seal problem. It has exactly the same symptoms that I and some others have had. I also just dealt with shift solenoids last week, he didn't say that his CEL was on, which it should be with a solenoid malfunction.
could be.

but i have the rev up problem, i can get it to do it running down the highway, when i step down to use passing gear it will just red line and if you feather it out it will catch. All the things i have read and researched point to solenoids. If i shift manually it works fine. Also if i rmember right the OD light is your indication for tranny stuff. Mine blinks at me with OD on. and even wit hit off all gears have a tendency to be a little "taller", nothing like having a 55 mph 2nd gear.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 PM

As automatic transmissions are very complicated there are a million things that could cause this, one of the more common things with auto's in general is a problem with lockup torque converters. Im not sure on any specs for the A340 but if the torque converter does have an issue it would be silmiliar to what you are describing.

If you want an easy way to see if something is damaged in your transmission pull the transmission pan off of the bottom after draining it. Look in the pan and see if there is any metal or debris in it. Use a magnet and look for filings. Metal filings mean you have putentially bad teeth on your gearset, also look for copper filings which would signify bad thrust washers. Finaly any teflon or friction looking material could show up and tell you that one of the many clutches inside has deteriorated completely.

While your in there you should definately check and replace the filter.

Some more details would be good. How does it react through all of its gears once it is in drive? What about when its started from other gears?
(does it shift late, early, hard, soft, does it have a problem with one specific gear?)
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM

The rear left wheel is what we determined it is, something is locking it up. Instead of the clunk and violent lurch the truck just drove . It stopped pretty much for a week or two but then has picked up again. Today the right tire was spinning and the left was completely locked. No clank or nothing. I drove about ten feet swinging the frunner sideways. Not cool. I checked the for fluids in the rear. Nothing. I dont have the time to check all the things. Im deploying in a couple weeks. So Im just bringing it somewhere.! Ill let you all know the outcome.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JulsTirn
The rear left wheel is what we determined it is, something is locking it up. Instead of the clunk and violent lurch the truck just drove . It stopped pretty much for a week or two but then has picked up again. Today the right tire was spinning and the left was completely locked. No clank or nothing. I drove about ten feet swinging the frunner sideways. Not cool. I checked the for fluids in the rear. Nothing. I dont have the time to check all the things. Im deploying in a couple weeks. So Im just bringing it somewhere.! Ill let you all know the outcome.
Sounds like a bad axle seal.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM

so i forgot i did this thread, but i have been back from iraq for a couple weeks, but my wife had it looked at and im not exactly sure what it was cause shes did not member what they said but the seals were bad in the back, this was caused by the emergency brake. my wife crashed the 4runner 2 days after we got it and somehow the ememrgency break was damaged, so it was on all the time, so i went to basic while the truck was repaired by her brother and she drove it the whole time through basic and ait with the ebrake on, so when i got back and drove it did not seem to be on but apparently that was the culprit. I t is still actin funny though so I am going to check itt myself,
Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM

i brought it back in and now it is a bad bearing in the back,