Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A total freak-out and my work in progress (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A total freak-out and my work in progress (pics!)

I've been driving my OME 900's around in the back seat for a couple of weeks now. Finally today, I got them installed. As soon as I walked out, I was freaking out pretty bad. You could actually have fit the carcasses of three, possibly four, sheep between my rear wheels and the fenders. I was like, oh no, this looks soooo incredibly stupid...it reminded me of those Corollas you see buzzing around with those tiny little tires and sticking out about 15 inches. Not good.

This was what I saw when I came out of the shop. It was up so high, I had to recline my damn seat by a notch!

Here's a shot I took just before the install...on the same ground to see how it would compare:

Happily, this is what I saw after driving for about 30 minutes hoping my rig didn't look completely stupid, they are settling down nicely...should go down a tiny bit further, which would be ideal for me.

So, while I was at it, I thought I'd post some other shots of the progress in removing all the chrome bits off the rig.

The front end. I've done the grill, headlight trim and the valance...having the bumpers powdercoated one day soon...(notice the extra cool zip ties holding the license plate on... ) Yea, kinda ghetto, but it works. Zip ties are almost as cool as velcro...

You can also see the side view mirrors and the windshield trim...NO CHROME! In fact, all of it looks factory...I really took my time prepping and made sure it was done right:

Another of the windshield and I also painted the wiper blades, they were pretty dull before...MUCH better now.

Driver's side shot:

And another side view of the door handles sans chrome and the mirror.

And one side shot.

Also had the OME steering stabilizer put in...can't believe how much better and smoother it feels on the road.

OK, a question or two. I will need new tires soon. I want some aggressive all-terrain tires on these wheels. Nothing huge, but definitely bigger than what I have on now. Any suggestions as to size? Brand?

Just happy to see it coming along so well...enjoy the pics!

Last edited by GregStevens; 11-29-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats!

Going for the 32"s? I recommend the BFG AT's for good AT tires.

The de-chroming is coming along great!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks!

Well, I really don't know what tire I 'should' go for. While at the shop (that just about everyone here hates... ), I did find out there is a little trail action around, but it's going to require a bit more traveling, like 100 miles, maybe more in some cases. So I'm really looking for help from you guys on this. Something that can handle some light duty off-roading, but it's mostly on the street...so that's what leads me to think of an aggressive all-terrain tire.

The BFG AT's are a good choice? Size wise, 32's seem pretty big to me...I'm thinking a tad smaller. It's mostly a street rig, so what would suggest?

Last edited by GregStevens; 11-29-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 PM

I would go with 31's
Old 11-29-2004, 04:31 PM

At the very least 31x10.5x15, that was a optional (from the factory) size, diff gearing was slightly different with this option, but my rig started life with the smaller tires and the previous owner upgraded to 31 x 10.5 and they work great. Anything smaller looks funny, as you can see on your rig No modifications needed.
I personally like the Goodyear MT/R (the only decent tire made by goodyear IMHO). It is a tough tire, aggressive tread, but worked great on the street for me, and it would be tough to find a better looking tire.

Last edited by firemedic; 11-29-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

hey greg!

what motor and tranny do you have? if its a v6 auto, then 31/10.5/15 are the standard size tire for your rig and your gearing should be 4.88. im not sure if the same size is stock for the 22re. mine is a 93 v6 auto and it came with 235/75/15's (p/o), looked sort of small. i found a good deal on some 31's and they look a lot better. 31's should keep the speedo and odo accurate also.

lee
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man thats guna look awesome, thast a cool color too!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Lee, sounds like we have very similar trucks...except mine's a little, but only a little, goofy looking at the moment. Mine 92 has the V6, slushbox and 4x4. When I got the truck, the stealer put brand new tires on and they are the stock size, but obviously, the smaller of the two.

I'm probing around the web for deals on the 31's. Tire Rack has them for a tick over 100 bucks. I'd rather find them local to avoid shipping etc. My poke around to see if a scrap yard has a deal on them. And maybe some used tire shops, too.

How did you guys score yours at a nice price? And what did you pay?