Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thule vs. Yakima

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thule vs. Yakima

What in gods name is the deal with Yakima? I priced all the components that I want (towers, crossbars, locks, fairing, basketcase, etc) and the price tag on their site was over $550. I priced a comparable Thule system on their site and it came to just over $250 without the basketcase. There are similar baskets to the Yak basketcase on Ebay for about $100 so how in the world can Yakima charge over $200 more for pretty much the same stuff. What do ya'll think or whats your experience with them? Later.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have owned Yak gear since '88.
See those crossbars on my '79 2WD?

Same bars I am running today.

I'm not sure why their stuff is a lot more money, but I have never had a Yak part fail on me.
Besides that bike rack on the old truck, I own three of these bike racks called the Lock Jaw by Yakima, plus their ski rack system.
And not to mention the Load Warrior roof basket.

I have not owned Thule, but I hear their gear is great too.
My X's husband swears by their bike mounts he has on his rig, and the design of it looks nicer than another Yak bike mount I have called the Copper Head.

If you are looking at baskets too though, the basket you mentioned by Yakima is not their stout one.
The Load Warrior I have is their beefy model.
I like it as it has built in crossbars, and is sturdy as all heck.

Here are the Thule ones.

The mounts that mount my crossbars to the roof are the Q Towers, and have also held up quite well.
Look like day one when I put them on, and they sit outside all the time.

I think it is a matter of personal preference between the two companies.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thule Rack

I've had a Thule rack since '95. I've got the same kind of bike mount as Corey's, except it has the silver arms that clamp on the down tube of your bike. I have 4 of them. Unfortunately, they don't even work on the bikes I have now. Maybe I should sell it to a deserving Yotatech member with silver 4Runner...
Old 12-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Cebby,
Sounds like a plan to me. Do you have any pics that you could email to me? Do you know if it will fit my 3rd Gens rail system? Thanks for the response. Later.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM

I think that the Yaks are more expensive because they are the more popular one.

Here in Seattle probably 90% of the racks are Yaks. That's one reason that I went with a Thule. Plus that fact that it was given to me.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:42 PM

I LIKE YAK!

I took the cheap way out on bike racks when I first got into the sport but it didn't take too long before I began to look at something better constructed.
I chose Yak because of all the options they offer. See my Heaps-O-Pix for...pix!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Nice Runner Nate. It looks great!!

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 06:49 PM

Hey Matt, I got my locking railrider 1's, crossbars, and fairing for about $150 The basketcase at Yakima's site is I think $99.

If you have a Galyans near you (outdoor adventure-type-of-store) they have the Yak stuff there. THey sold me my railriders for $109. Which wasn't bad at all, and I got my faring from REI.com.

If you're looking for the crossbars, then you need the locking railrider 1. The basketcase can be attatched using your stock bars, and some adapter clips from Yakima(Idon't remember which kind)
Old 12-10-2002, 06:59 PM

I got an Yak Ankle Biter II bike rack I can sell to you if you like...

-N8

PS: Thanks for the compliments!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM

Ankle Biters

That's why I want to get rid of my Thule, cause they don't offer an ankle biter type product (to my knowledge).

Do you have two?

One for this...

and one for this...

Last edited by Cebby; 12-10-2002 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:36 PM

Fixed the pics

Sorry, the pics were too big for few minutes there. It's been fixed..
Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some nice bikes Cebby! Care to give one away to moi?

As far as the differences go, they aren't really that different IMHO. I've never heard a Thule guy say "I wish I would've bought a Yakima" and vice versa.

I didn't realize there was such a big price gap. When I priced them out eons ago, they were comparable.

LSU, I would definitely, definitely, definitely check out ebay. There are alot of people there who sell their entire rack systems for cheap. I've even been tempted to buy the whole system from a few folks b/c the price is slightly over the cost of buying the accessory that I want!

If decide on Thule and you want to put them on the factory rails, you might want to look into finding a set of 416 adapters (towers). They're the old style but I've *heard* that the new styles aren't as solid.

I even cut my old large wind fairing and made it into the smaller style Yakima fairing. I need to refine the shape a bit, but it looks pretty cool. I'll post a pic later.

In anycase, feel free to email me if you have more specific questions.

Bob
Old 12-10-2002, 08:15 PM

Do the towers have the number 416 mounted on them? I don't know what mine are, but they are 8 years old (its been hanging in my garage for the last 5 or so though) Mine are cast aluminum and seem pretty stout.

I need to do some research to see what this thing is worth. Does anyone know if Thule makes an "ankle biter" type unit (grabs the bike by one crank arm) I haven't seen one. Can I fit the Yak mounts on my Thule loadbars? (Round vs rectangular???)
Old 12-10-2002, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cebby,

No, the 416's don't have the model number printed on them. The difference between the 416's (discontinued) and the new style (Tracker 2s) is that the 416 is a one piece and the Tracker 2 system is a two piece. I don't have a pic of the 416 itself but here's a pic from an ebay auction:

Why I like the 416 better is that I've heard some of the guys I ride with (mtn bike) say that the design of the two piece lends itself to alot of instability. Sure, its real easy to remove the bars and the top part from the bottom part, but what real advantage is that for something you really don't want to take on and off alot?

The 416 can also utilize the square silver plates that the factory racks use. Its the little square silver piece that slides in between the rail itself. It makes for a much sturdier grip.

Oh, and because Thule doesnt make a small-style wind fairing like Yakima does, I introduce my old, large Thule wind fairing to my jig saw and created something more like the Yakima small-style wind fairing:

I'm going to take some off the top and round off the corners but for now, it works and it cut down the wind noise 100%.

Bob
Old 12-11-2002, 04:13 AM

I find it very hard to believe that you found all that thule gear (fit kit, towers, bars, fairing and basket) for $250. The baskets themselves usually run $150-$300 depending on the model.

Regardless... I run lots of thule gear and love it all - bike carriers, kayak carriers, bars, fairing, but not a basket. I am definitely NOT impressed by most of Yakima's gear.

Any specific questions about thule gear, ask away.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:11 AM

Check your pricing again. I purchased a Yak system this spring and (in canada) found the price very comparable. I picked up a pair of "Viper" fork mount racks and they're the best built fork mount I've seen.

Good luck,
Old 12-11-2002, 05:21 AM

Yakima -vs- Thule

Yakima -vs- Thule
Both Yakima & Thule Racks are excellent products!!! While Yakima does not have fit kits for as many vehicles as Thule, the number of options and the quality of construction is certainly equal.

For most buyers the choice between Yakima and Thule will be a difficult one (costs are even the same in most cases). My suggestion... toss a coin and go for it

Remember... both Yak and Thule make adapters for each other's equipment to fit the round or square bars.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:36 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the newer Thule system being 'unstable'. I have had mine loaded with a Thule cargo box that was packed full. Therefore, I was well over 100 lbs and had no problems while driving on a long distance trip. The box alone is 40 lbs.

You can get the whole kit (bars, tracker kit, fit kit) for $162 right now plus locks. I just had to replace my rack system due to my never ending body shop/roof issues :rolleyes:

Also, I have a Yak bike carrier for the hitch. I don't want to try to put bikes on the roof - screw that.

It really comes down to personal preference as either will work. I liked the square bars as I thought it provided a better mounting surface.

Yes, it is nice to take off the rack to wash and wax

Last edited by Hermes; 12-11-2002 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:09 AM

Ankle Biters

I'll ask once more. Does Thule make an "ankle biter" type bike mount? Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?

BTW, I have the 416's
Old 12-11-2002, 07:20 AM

I have all Yakima stuff which is great.

Try these for pricing:

http://www.rackattack.com/index.html

http://www.allsportautoracks.com/

Quick Reply: Thule vs. Yakima