Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

for those of you with SAW torsion bars..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha, nah, just one..that was a typo, meant 93
Old 05-31-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by metal22lica
Doink..you have two runners? if you dont want them ill take them if they will fit my 90 runner.
Dude, you didnt tell me you were in Bredenton! LOL I'm in Sarasota right now. You know of any non-mud/non-water trails around here? And if you get the new torsion bars, I was wondering if I could see how they handled compared to stock. I was kinda kicking around the idea of new torsion bars with my yota.

Steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-31-2003 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

HAHA..sorry Steve...i guess since you dont have a location posted..i never thought of it... where is sarasota are you and how long are you going to be there? and how old are you? man im not really sure of any trails around here. i heard there are some down in Vince by 75..but to be honest i really dont have the time or the trail whereabouts to go wheeling.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend had SAW torsion bars on his '86 4Runner and they had the same part number as the t-bars for my '94 truck.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:23 PM

HAHA..sorry Steve...i guess since you dont have a location posted..i never thought of it... where is sarasota are you and how long are you going to be there? and how old are you? man im not really sure of any trails around here. i heard there are some down in Vince by 75..but to be honest i really dont have the time or the trail whereabouts to go wheeling.
Im in Osprey to be specific, just look for a totally black 4Runner with 5% limo tint with or w/o bass pending my mood....lol I'm staying down here with the 'rents for the rest of summer as college is out for this year. 24 and counting damn I wanna be 18 again! lol I goof off alot at the end of Mannisota Beach road as there are some small trails there, but nothing serious....lol

I think I have an idea of where you are talking about, but im not sure.... off of the RiverRoad exit in south venice?

Steve
Old 05-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

You ever make it up my way much? i dont go down to Sarasota that often. im not sure where those trails are at..i was just told by 75 somewhere down there. where do you reside at when college is in??

Also is there anymore info on these SAWs? Is Doink getting them or what?
Old 06-01-2003, 07:25 PM

You ever make it up my way much? i dont go down to Sarasota that often. im not sure where those trails are at..i was just told by 75 somewhere down there. where do you reside at when college is in??

Also is there anymore info on these SAWs? Is Doink getting them or what?
I usually dont get up that way very often unless I'm headed to my uncle's house off of SR64. My college residence is near Gainesville, in the city of Alachua technically. Alachua is about a 25 minute drive from the college in Gainesville - GO GATORS!

Today I just got back from driving to Orange City for a soundoff competition....that was a total blast! BTW - do you still have your yotatech.com sticker on your rear spoiler? The reason I ask, is becuase I saw a dead ringer 2nd gen 4runner like yours today, but minus the sticker. It was south bound on I75 from the Fruitville road exit on until I exited at 681...

Anyhow, I'm going back up to gainesville this wednesday to rebuild my new box and make it louder as there are two more events up in live oak and starke. Then back down to 'sota for quite a while.

We have to find some sort of trails around here! lol

Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

yeah YOTATECH.COM is still on my rear spoiler...but i wasnt on the interstate today. hey...you dont know how to replace axle shafts do you? my cv boot blew and i was going to attempt to do the project myself....
Old 06-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: for those of you with SAW torsion bars..

Originally posted by paddlenbike
I am returning my truck back to stock (more-or-less) and have a set of 25mm SAW T-bars sitting in my garage if you're interested.
Wow, what's up Ken? How come you're doing that, if you don't mind me asking?

Doink, I would think they would fit.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: for those of you with SAW torsion bars..

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Wow, what's up Ken? How come you're doing that, if you don't mind me asking?

Doink, I would think they would fit.
I am working on making the truck more comfortable for long road trips. Each year I take one or two 2,000-mile road trips and this year I have a 3,500 mile one planned. The 1" lift, 32" tires and rear e-locker are plenty enough to get me where I want. My truck is in great condition and it just doesn't make sense for me to build it for use on hard-core trails. (I am perfectly happy running trails like Slickrock.) Plus that 122" wheelbase doesn't exactly make for the best rock crawler. So some modifications will be removed to make it a better long distance traveler.

And the SAW t-bars I have will fit any torsion bar IFS Toyota 4x4.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:23 AM

yeah YOTATECH.COM is still on my rear spoiler...but i wasnt on the interstate today. hey...you dont know how to replace axle shafts do you? my cv boot blew and i was going to attempt to do the project myself....
I'm afraid not, my front cv boots blew out a long time ago, and I did not notice 'till they started to periodically lock up on the free way! There's nothing like going 70mph and having the right front suddenly lock up for a good 5 seconds. I was planning on helping Dad replace them, however I went to a major sporting clays tournament, and when I came back, Dad had replaced them. So I honestly don't know how to replace axle shafts. But I DEFINATELY want to help so that I'll know how to do it later on and I'm curious about doing the manual hub conversions.....

btw - do you know how to change the rear seal in the front differential? I also need to change out one of my stock Ujoints. It's juuuuuuust starting to go bad.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-02-2003 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well...im sure with the boards help..and if you have some tools and with my sisters b/fs tool...we could do a lot of damage..i have done the hub conversion....and it was easy..i could help ya with that if you need it. i think my sisters b/f and i are going to replace my axle shaft..or i will do it by myself. i think im going to start a new thread about it. how long are you here for this summer?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:06 PM

Well...im sure with the boards help..and if you have some tools and with my sisters b/fs tool...we could do a lot of damage..i have done the hub conversion....and it was easy..i could help ya with that if you need it. i think my sisters b/f and i are going to replace my axle shaft..or i will do it by myself. i think im going to start a new thread about it. how long are you here for this summer?
hehehehe sounds like a plan! I have a small tool set for both SAE and metric socket and wrench set as well as 3 different drive sizes with extensions. And a small assortment of long sockets. The pliers are kinda limited though.

I still contemplating the manual hub conversion, namely is it worth the inconvienience, and is there a difference in mpg and power?

Im still kicking around the idea of summer B courses which would start on the 30th of this month or just pushing them back until fall which would be august 30...
Old 06-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

hmm....well if we dont have a tool we need....we can always buy it... ...man if you have the cash...i would go with the Aisin hubs. less wear and tear and plus its another mod to do on the rig. i posted another thread about the axle shaft but no one has replied yet.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:09 PM

hahahahaha cool!! MORE tools! I certainly dont have 54mm socket, my biggest is 24mm which fits the differential drain and fill plugs. Hopefully we wont need a 54mm but it would be cool to have one just cuz! lol

When you planning on attacking the axles?

Steve
Old 06-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

hm...it will probably be like a mon or thurs afternoon around 3 or so. i will have to get it done before the nights end. i called the dealership and they said 158 for the axle and 36 for the boots. he said it would take a day or two cause he would have to order the axle. so maybe i will call tomorrow and order it. it kinda sucks that only a few people have replied to my other post. i am still getting mixed thoughts about the 54 mm socket. like you.. the biggest i have is the 24 mm. you should look into a pair or hubs and we could slap those bad boys on there that day also.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Steve..i got it today. i also tried to im on you aim..by name is metal22lica. give me a call some time..
Old 06-04-2003, 03:39 PM

hmmm i never got the IM I just tried to IM you... Dad was saying that he took most everything off including the 54mm nut. :eek: The writeups make it sound fairly easy, but everyone keeps saying they are difficult....odd

Steve