Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are there any good links for the "Elbow Removal Mod"

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are there any good links for the "Elbow Removal Mod"

Other than Gadget's site are there any other links that show how to do the Elbow Removal Mod???

I've got the parts together to do the Silencer Removal Mod and thought it would be a good idea to at least do the Elbow Removal. I prefer to keep using the Toyota OEM air filter because of all the dust blowing around down here in New Mexico.

Most of the old links to the How-To for the Elbow removal don't work anymore.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I will be adding Bob's write-up to our Tech section later.
For now, here is the link.
http://www.4runners.org/articles/airbox/
Old 12-28-2002, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi;

[edit... I had originally said that I couldn't come up with a link. Then Corey posted one while I was writing this out. ]

The mod is really straight forward.

You didn't say what year your truck is, but on my '96 I started with pulling the 3 bolts that hold the airbox down. Once it was free, you can gently move it around and see where the points of contact are. You'll find one at the feeder hose where it meets the box, one at the elbow (on the passenger side of the box), and there will be one electrical connection that you'll want to remove. The electrical connection is the airflow sensor, so be careful that you don't twist on it and possibly damage the sensor.

Release the electrical connector first, then loosen the clamp on the air hose, and twist it away from the airbox. The only point of contact left is the elbow, and it just slides into the side of the airbox. Pull the box straight towards the driver's side, and it should slide right out.

Once the box is free from the elbow, then you'll be able to get a look at how the elbow attaches to the passenger side wheel well, which is just two sheet metal screws. Remove those, and then pull the elbow out. it slides back into the fender probably 4" or so.

Once it's out, reverse the steps to get the airbox back in by attaching the air hose; the electrical connection; and then finally bolt the box back down.

That's it!

Just as a point of note... I pulled my elbow a while ago, but recently did the next step and opened up the front of the airbox, and put the elbow back in "just 'cause". Pulling the elbow got more air into the box, and there was definitely a difference in the performance of the engine. But opening up the front of the box did even more - plus got a nice throaty sound coming from under the hood.

I just got done with my first tank of gas through the engine since opening the airbox, and I was floored to find just about a 2mpg increase.

A comment on your comment about running a stock filter... With more air available to the airbox, you're going to want to be sure that you can get that air into the engine. The stock Toyota filter is pretty restrictive, and while you may see an improvement, you'll see more by replacing the element with something else. I'm using an Amsoil filter in the box and life is good.

Good luck!

Mark

Last edited by midiwall; 12-28-2002 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Guys!!!!

I have an 02 4-Runner.

Corey, that's just what I was looking for. I found some older threads with partial links to Bob's write-up which didn't work anymore.

I'm still hesitant to use either a K&N or Amsoil filter due to the dust blowing down here. I saw an analysis of engine oil showing elevated levels of Si and Fe from engine wear due to dust getting through the K&N, TRD and Amsoil filters. I don't have the link to the analysis at the moment but it was posted on 4x4Wire a couple months ago.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

I found the link to the Filter Tests.....

http://home.attbi.com/~nhparrot/ts/a...FilterTest.htm

Looks like he has been working on the page since I last saw it.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:54 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:confused:

So can having a OEM filter now be considered a mod?

Jay
Old 12-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe a "Safe Compromise" :pat: LOL!!!

What's your opinion of the different filters??

The OEM may be more restrictive but probably better for my engine considering the dust storms we get down here.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OEM may be more restrictive but probably better for my engine considering the dust storms we get down here.
Ya' know.. Along this line of thinking, if you're going to remove/modify the elbow or open up the airbox, then the increased air intake will make your rig more susceptible to dust overall.

If you're really worried about the dust there, then you may not want to do this at all.