Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma mass airflow sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma mass airflow sensor question

i have a '99 tacoma TRD with a 3.4 dohc and i was told by a toyota service writer that since the previous owner had a K&N filter and that the mass airflow sensor is so close to the filter box that the oils from the filter sometimes can gunk up the sensor. my question(s): is this true and can i just clean the sensor? it gives me a check engine light and i don't have the $ to buy a new sensor. i have access to some very good non-corrosive cleaners and i can take the sensor off for a flush if i have to. is this ok to do or should i just beg borrow and steal to buy the new sensor?

thanks for your time and i look forward to hearing(reading rather) your comments.

OH, one more thing... to reset the computer and trouble codes do i just pull the ecm fuse for a few minutes or do i jumper the connector interface?

thank you in advance.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 PM

pull the EFI fuse to reset the computer. As for cleaning the MAF, the K&N and Injen cone filters (oiled) sure can gunk up the sensor. I'd recommend you use a Q-tip and some 99% rubbing-alcohol to clean the MAF. Be carefull when you're doing it. Most of the time that'll fix it, but if it's still being a punk, you may have damaged the MAF, and will need a new one.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:28 PM

This is a very common problem with the 5VZ-FE. Most of the time cleaning the MAF with some non-residual contact cleaner(brake cleaner) will do the trick but 10% of the time the sensor assembly needs replacing. Pulling the ECM fuse for several minutes will clear the codes.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Clean the MAF with electrical contact cleaner, you can get that from WalMart or Radio Shack. Carefully unhook the MAF from the tube and spray down the sensors with the cleaner. Might wanna clean the throttle body as well since you're at it. Check the link below it's got some nice pics to help you out, just scroll halfway down and you're there. Hope this helps you out and welcome to the board!

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html
Old 05-25-2004, 08:35 AM

Yes, any oiled air filter will get the MAF/IAT dirtier quicker than a regular air filter, but they still need to be cleaned at least once a year, based on my experience anyways.

Clean the MAF

I use carb/choke cleaner. Just spray it out and let it dry, being sure to get the actual MAF hotwires shown in maf5.jpg in the above link.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:10 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

i found this one too in a google search(gotta love that search engine).

@Unhappy99: in your link i saw someone mention about a intake tube mod done by Dr.Z. is there a section dedicated to his mods? if not there should be. i'll do a search... thanks guys for all the input. i'll report back my results.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:35 AM

WEEEEEEEEEE! we have success!
thanks a bunch everyone.

for a minute i was kinda scared because after i pulled the fuse and let it sit for a few minutes, it ran REALLY bad and then my uncle who was there mentioned that pulling the negative(not sure if it matters) battery cable off and letting it site for about 15 minutes should clear out the codes and reset the computer also, that worked and i'm up and running now.