Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea here, beyond some form of traction bars. 4Runner rear suspensions are not my "cup of tea".
Old 12-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Points at the rear coil suspension systems on the 4 runners*

Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 AM

Thunk

I had this exact same problem on my '00 Tacoma Extra Cab 4X4 w/AT. I replaced the rear two piece driveshaft with a one piece aftermarket shaft after installing a 3" Old Man Emu lift. The thunk due to axle wrap/soft springs/etc. is no longer there. While Tom Woods drive shaft is an option, I had my new shaft fabricated at a reputable local shop for approx $200 less than what Tom Woods was going to charge.

The thunk was very annoying and I can't help but believe it wasn't good for the drive train. Again with the new drivehaft it is gone completely.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 AM

i read about this trying to find a thread on a different noise so i thought what the heck i'll grease mine to see if it helps well now mine makes that noise too when it didn't before. but its a toyota so it will get tired of making it and quit
Old 04-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Early toy trucks were designed and used mostly as a truck. Just ride in any of the first and second generations trucks. They are harsh.

As the whiners complained to Toyota, and market share slipped or grew at a slower rate, the Tacoma was designed to be a much softer riding truck. So, the rear springs were designed to be soft for the first inch or so of deflection to make your empty truck ride pleasant. Unfortunately, the soft spring rate causes axle wrap when the brakes are applied. I read where a "harsher" rear shock pair will dampen the wrap to some degree. May want to look into some "heavy duty" rear shocks to mitigate your discomfort every time you brake. As for overfilling the slip yoke, its a temporary and not wise move. Pressure from the axle wrap will jam your transfer case as long as the yoke cavity is full, which isn't too long. Basically a hydraulic lock event. I believe owners manual address this issue in the lube section.

My $0.02
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 AM

Hi guys, this is my first post and I think this site is great fo us "backyard mechanics" to find help. I own a 1996 Tacoma 4X4 Automatic V6 Extended Cab SR5..... I to have been getting the "clunk" mentioned in this forum....I took the advice and greased up the rear slip yoke....it worked perfectly... the clunk is gone but the truck now viberates like crazy. About a year ago, this clunk started, so I replaced the center bearing thinking that was the problem (not so... the clunk was still there) I got about 4 months out of it and it also went. I thought the bearing was faulty so I returned it and got another one....only to last another 4 months or so....I just found out about the rear slip yoke and now I'm wondering if that is what caused my center bearing to break away from the rubber in the first place......now that the clunk is gone, should I take the chance on replacing the $150 center bearing again.... or will it just do the same thing. The viberation in the truck is excessive, but only after greasing the slip yoke!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kenny!!!

Oh and one more thing....how much play should there be in the transmission mount?

Last edited by kennyyoung; 08-19-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM

I have a 2004 double cab. I started noticing the clunk about a year ago. Finally took it to the dealer and recieved the usual response (they all do it). I dropped the center mount between the two drive shafts to allow the yoke to extend completely and started loading the yoke with gease. When I lifted the drive shafts to attach the center mount, I noticed I had to use a fair amount of pressure to push the spline back into the yoke. I attached the center driveshaft mount. I took the truck for a test drive and no more clunk. I have to wonder though, was the problem solved because the yoke was better lubed or because there is pressure in the yoke (like and air shock) pushing the spline out. If the latter, could this eventually cause damage to other parts of the drive train?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
My truck makes a dull thud at a stop, I determined its a full tank of gas shifting. No thud at say lower than 90%.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM

My 01 4Runner had the thud when I bought it 20K ago. Greasing worked quite well but the thud always comes back. It poops grease all over the place if I put more in so I don't see any point in adding more. Since the PO never lubed it I think the mating parts have run-out and this is causing the sticking.

I think the only fix would be to replace the shaft and yoke. Plus, I think if it's binding before finally thudding back in place, it's putting a LOT of pressure on the transmission before finally releasing.

I'll look under the truck tomorrow maybe. Will try to make a visual static/dynamic assessment of the situation.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Hello , Need some help please .i think ive got the same problem but al little worse , i own a 1996 3.4 AT tacoma , specially when the gearbox and engine are cool , i put it in gear and fill the vehicle is kind of locked is a really scarry sensation sometimes i have tu accelerate a bit and "unlocks" but does not sound nice at all , ive got my rear diff locked , this just heppens sometimes and specially when engine still not hot enough. gears go very well when driving and have no other problems. but im really concerned about this issue.
thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM

I just wanted to send out a sincere "Thank You" for this thread. I was addressing this issue earlier today on my Mother's 03 Tacoma. I was quite stumped and annoyed because I could not find anything wrong. I found this thread on the first page of a Bing search. Saved me a LOT of time diagnosing. Thanks! Justin
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 AM

clunk

had the same clunk on my 02 taco. had a hell of a time finding the right ones, but my problem was the double cardan joint on rear driveshaft. go to a good driveshaft shop and they can hook you up for about 120 bones