Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
My friend is helping me get the (1GR-FE) 4.0L V6 from a rolled over 2003 4Runner into my 1992 P/U 4X4 truck that has the 3.0L V6 (3VZ-E) w/ 5-SPD manual.

Now, I'm faced with a problem and wish to seek those Gurus opinion. The height of the new engine seems to create a hurdle now. How can I overcome the engine height? I meant the oil pan seems so low that it would set right where the front axle is!! i.e., it appears when we wanted to get the engine in place to secure the engine mounts into their best position possible, their is the front IFS (independent Front Suspension).. we took the IFS out as a first trial but I wish not to lose my 4X4!! I cannot live w/o 4Wheelin’.

I seek an advice about how to try to get the engine under the hood and still solve the IFS problem and retain the 4X4 capability. I can -as an option- cut through the hood and get some type of a “sporty” hood cover for the exposed height that may exceed the original hood height.

Another arising problem is about how the front shaft goes from the right <passenger-side> while the 4Runner has the front shaft from the left <Driver side>. Is it possible to mate the transfer case from the manual transmission to the automatic tyranny and keep my sanity intact?!

Many thanks guys.. I’ll send you loads of pics and documentation of the project when it is completed.. Now, your bright inputs are badly needed. ü

Yes, I wanna get the 1GR-FE engine plus Auto-tranny installed. Also, I hope, there is a fix or adopter to the t-case –whether the old one (from the 1992 p/u truck) or the 2nd from the 4Runner, so the 4X4 fun continues! I’m contacting Marlin Crawler for S.O.S. (Save-Our-Souls>>> HELP msg).

ü Yes, IFS is what I wish for now, specially after you confirmed that it is the easiest. Honestly, I need to educate myself about the difference of front vs. rear sump <Oops!>. The oil pan is nothing like what I have in the 3.0L V6 and I’m not sure about that of the T100. But, again, I’m not talking SAS now.

ü Yes, having the option of the 4.0L in front of the 5-SPD is my ultimate goal, but while it is under study, one obstacle is that the starter on the 4.0L (1GR-FE) is on the left (Driver side) while it is the opposite side on the 3.0L. Any suggestions? You are right, if the 4.0L can be mated to the 5 SPD, tcase issue would vanish!! Life’s a Beach.

No rest 4 the wicked...
Fakri of NMSU.... Red, White & Blue
THANX
Zak (windancer4x4@yahoo.com)
Old 03-02-2005, 05:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yikes, Im afraid I dont have any good input on the installation of the 1GRFE in there but I would like to know if you are going to be selling that 3vze? If so DEFINATELY drop me a line. Thanks and good luck!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That will be one hell of a swap if you pull that off.
I am afraid I don't have much to add either but I definately want to see some pics.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 AM

Unless you can come up with some sort of custom adapter to get the engine to bolt to your old tranny (which sounds like big $$ and possibly not doable without perhaps changing the input shaft of the tranny) I'm thinking you're going down a long road to a dead end. The crankshaft probably isn't milled to accept a pilot bearing since I think the 2003 only had automatics (anybody?) so you might have to have the crankshaft machined to have one fit assuming that is even doable.
You can get a lift kit with a differential drop kit to gain some clearance on the oil pan, but no clue whether or not it would provide enough clearance. To add to it, you could go with a drivetrain lift, but that requires either a body lift or body mods, body lift being the easiest.
If you can't get enough clearance or use your old tranny setup, then you are probably looking at an SAS with a driver drop front axle. MarlinCrawler.com does sell adapters to adapt the 2003 tranny to an earlier passenger drop transfercase: http://www.marlincrawler.com/tacomadual.html that may help some.
All those issues settled and then all you have to do is some custom wiring, probably some changes to the exhaust system, hope the old fuel pump is up to the demand of the bigger motor, cross your fingers that the radiator clears and has the same intake-outlet design, get it all done then find out the hood won't close LOL! yada, yada, yada...
Unless you are just desperate for a little extra HP, I'd say just do the 3.4 swap. Lots of posts on how to, been done and proven doable, hooks to your current tranny and gives you plenty (190?) of HP for a pickup.
Just the rambling opinion of somebody that doesn't really know what he's talking about and doesn't like doing stuff the hard way just for kicks
Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Since it is a 3.0, it must be an ifs (unless sas-ed). You can get 4" suspension lifts which lower the front diff by 4". The superlift is generally considered to be the best, because it uses 1 piece brackets to lower the diff. instead of bolt together brackets.
This engine is also used in the new tacoma with a 6spd. I guess it probably has an pilot bearing hole for that reason.
You can also use the tranny and transfercase and put a solid axle under it with the diff on the other side. Then you move everything around.
I don't think there is an easy solution for this. The 3.0 to 3.4 swap is a lot easier because they are essentially the same block. You can exchange oilpans and bellhousings. There has also been a variety of oilpans etc. since the T100 actually had both the 3.0 and the 3.4. The T100 had a 3.4 with the front diff on the pass. side and the tacos and 4runners with the diff on the drivers side.
Did they change the bellhousing to engine bolt pattern? If that stayed the same it would be a lot easier.

I am just brainstorming a bit, interesting stuff. It is something new, keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

As far as I see it the best option for the hood clearance is to get a body lift. To try and clear the front diff you could try a diff drop. Another option could be a custom oil pan with a custom sump. I know some people trying to swap in the 1uz have gone this route. Very cool project, good luck.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 AM

I was considering this swap a while back when the 4.0L came out. I was talking to Mike over at ORS about it. It's just a lot of work if it can even be pulled off. Good luck with it. That would be an awesome swap if it works. Keep us all updated.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Body lift to help clear engine.

Do you have a transfer case and fuel pump from the donor vehicle?

Custom oil pan.

This is new territory and you will not find very many people who have done this swap...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 AM

2003 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 planted in a 1992 3.0L (3VZ-E)

Bumpin' Yota:
Thanks for your good wishes. Sorry, the guy who's helping me out has his eyes on the 3VZ-E already!

MTL 4Runner:
Thanks.. wish me luck and I will pull it off>>> "Never Say Die!!" Pics are taken.. but issues are being tackled slowly since this is one of the first projects with the 1GR-FE. I'm a TOYota beliver.. Can't help it.

Fahrenheit 451:
Wow..you are talking gold! Many thanks… where should I start. (1) as far as I know the 1GR-FE is coming manual as Arjan said above. I'm still willing to use everything from the donor SUV including auto tranny, t-case, rear axle (might be a bit wider!), but still wish to keep the front IFS (no SAS is considered for now>> No Money!!) (2) Ya, suspension lift kit of 4" is what I'm researching now. Some people say Explorer Pro Comp Stage II and some say Super lift.. What do you think? (3) Should I consider this order: Suspension lift 4", then Body Lift about 2" and then Hood chop? Do you agree? If not, why? (4) Again, the IFS has the propeller shaft from Passenger side where the 2003 front propeller shaft and t-case drop go from driver side? What's the fix for that? I guess this one is just is somewhat above my limited knowledge.. (5) wiring, exhaust and radiator seem to me as the next phase of things once the major parts are in place… I can extend the nose a bit to make a customized fit for the radiator specially with the 4"-6" lift. (5) the 3.4 (5VZ-FE) is just not an option now.. I already bought the donor vehicle and paid top $$$ for it. (6) I am determined to do the swap and by GOD grace, I'll do it right… thanks for your support. (7) the part about Marlin crawler doing adopters for earlier t-cases is something I'll research. Thanks again.

Arjan:
1. Thanks for your input about SuperLift 4". I'm not certain about the opil pans and bolt patterns for the 3.4 and the T-100, but the 3.0 (3VZ-E) and the 4.0L (1GR-FE) have two different oil pans and the bolt patterns are different..also the starter is on the passenger side in the 3.0 but on the driver side in the 4.0 (1GR-FE).

Praufet:
Yup…thanks a body lift of 2". By saying a differential drop, do you mean a suspension lift??? < Feelin' like daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa… sorry>

4Runner Kid:
I know it's a big challenge and I hope I did not spend $5K in the air>>>>>>> OUCH!! Do you have Mike's contacts in ORS? Thanks… I hope to get this project done for you and many others who may consider having this done to their trucks in the near future. Hey Do you know TRD is releasing a supercharger in few months!! Wow..

WINDancer
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as lift. I think a 4" suspension lift would do th trick. Or if you want to go another route, do a 3" bopdy lift witha 2or 3" drivetrain lift depending on how much room you need.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I think it would be cheaper if you lift the body then customize the engine mount to raise it ....is 3" enough? then raise the rest of the drive train accordingly.
If you plan to SAS later then just move the project up earlier......:LOL:
Old 03-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by anthony1
I think it would be cheaper if you lift the body then customize the engine mount to raise it ....is 3" enough? then raise the rest of the drive train accordingly.
If you plan to SAS later then just move the project up earlier......:LOL:
The point of the body lift is to allow room for a drivetrain lift. A body lift alone still puts the oil pan where the IFS is. The problem is the bottom, not the top.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 PM

I think that's what I said....let see....
"Lift the body then customize the engine mount to raise it" ( the engine )
Old 03-04-2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by calamaridog
Body lift to help clear engine.

Do you have a transfer case and fuel pump from the donor vehicle?

Custom oil pan.

This is new territory and you will not find very many people who have done this swap...
Calamaridog..I got the whole truck...badly beaten up body but the mechanical parts are almost intact with exception of radiator, fan, transmission oil cooler..stuff like that.. the rest is in top shape..

Thanks man..
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 AM

Deathrunner & Anthony1.. Thanks guys.. which would you recommend the most Super Lift or Explorer Pro Comp for a 4" Lift in my 1992 4X4 p/u x-cab truck?

Fakri of NMSU... Red, White & Blue
Old 03-04-2005, 03:01 AM

Sorry Guess I misunderstood.

Originally Posted by anthony1
I think that's what I said....let see....
"Lift the body then customize the engine mount to raise it" ( the engine )
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 AM

No harm done......I read too fast sometime and get all mixed up too.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:58 AM

Windanccer 4x4,
I think superlift is a better kit. Not sure if the other engine is heavier than the 3.0, you might need 24mm sway-a-way Torsion bar too. You can pick it up for 99.99 at 4WP.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Anthony,
Thanks for your input.. I'm more convinced with the Super Lift.
24mm Sway-a-way Torsion Bar is also considered. I gotta figure out and compare the weight of these two engines.
Thanks again..
Old 03-04-2005, 12:22 PM

Mike's info used to be on there... I can't seem to find it though. Here's the site: Off Road Solutions

Quick Reply: Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)