Surf tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:58 AM
Ava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surf tech questions

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a '93 SSR-X V6 and have some questions about this car:

1. It didn't come with a manual and I always drove a floor shift. The car only has 55.000 km on the odometer but wear and tear say something else. There's a button on the stearing wheel with a cancel buttun next to it. The caption is hardly visible but I can make out the words resume and acceleration. What is this supposed to do? I don't seem to notice any difference using it.

2. On the other side is a Cruise Control button which also doesn't seem to work. If I press it while driving a steady speed of, say 80 km/h, and remove my foot the car slows down. Is there anything I could check to get it working?

3. Can I en- or disengage the 4WD while the car is moving? Or wil this result in debris in the gearbox?

4. Where is the hole in the casoline tank? I've emptied two tanks, one driving slowly and timidly and one driving normally and both got me 1:5 (20 liters/100 km).

5. Is there a place I could order an Instruction Manual?

6. What is a good Workshop Manual? There seem to be many.

7. When I bought the car and first cleaned it I noticed the front axle bubbers were torn so I had a garage replace all four of them. I could swear that before that I could not distinguise driving in 2WD or 4WD exept for very short turns. Now the car vibrates in 4WD and makes a noise as if a bearing or something runs under an extream high load. The garage spent an extra 4 hours on it and could not find anything wrong and suggested I leave. Since I don't have a workshop manual and my tools are in transit I cannot have a look for myself now. Any ideas on this? What could they have done wrong here? Is it possible to forget or misplace a ball or roll in the joint, or misposition the shaft in the splines?

So far for now.

Ava.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Banned

Hi, welcome to Yotatech.

Questions 1 and 2, the cruise control consists of all 3 buttons on the steering wheel. The cruise control button turns the system on but you have to set it with the button you can't read. Pushing the unreadable one after pushing the other one should set it at that speed. The cancel button will cancel the speed you set it at.

#3 It depends on what kind of hubs you have. Are there little dials in the center of your front wheels?

#4 I'm not sure what you mean but your fuel economy sounds low. What you describe = 12 miles per gallon in american terms. It should be closer to 19 MPG. Do you think you have a fuel leak?

#5 and 6 Either your local Toyota dealer or e-bay. Possibly a junkyard or used parts store.

#7 I have to think about that for a while.

Again, welcome aboard, give it some time and we will do our best to answer these questions more thouroughly.

P.S. where in the world is Paramaribo? I've never heard of it.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome Ava, since Matt has answered just about all of your questions, I'll try to answer #7 with a question. Are you driving in 4Wd on drive pavement? If you are, then when you turn the wheel, you are putting alot of strain on your drive train because the wheels are trying to turn at the same rate.So don't do this. And please let us know where Paramaribo is. Hope this helps.

P.S. How about some pictures of your ride.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Ava

Originally posted by jx94148

>#3 It depends on what kind of hubs you have. Are there little dials in the center of your front wheels?

I cannot see that from here but if you mean if I should get out of the car to engage the front hubs, then no. I did have the wheels removed and didn't notice any little dial. So I'm guessing that my Surf has automatic hubs. Does that mean that I can drive 180 mph and kick the box into 4WD or not? ;o)

>#4 I'm not sure what you mean but your fuel economy sounds low. What you describe = 12 miles per gallon in american terms. It should be closer to 19 MPG. Do you think you have a fuel leak?

I was more or less joking, but 12 mpg is not very economic, is it? This is not a very good designed engine, I think. A friend of mine has two USA cars and the most un-economical one is heavier than my V6 and has twice the horsepower, but consumes much less. Perhaps I should clean some sensors like I'm reading all over the place.

>#5 and 6 Either your local Toyota dealer or e-bay. Possibly a junkyard or used parts store.

Mmmm. Junk they do have overhere. But I doubt if I can find those at a local dealer. Perhaps I'll risk ordering in the US and keep my fingers crossed the mailman drives no Toyota. ;o)

>P.S. where in the world is Paramaribo? I've never heard of it.

Paramaribo is the capital of Surinam in South or Latin America. I recently moved here from the Netherlands.

Thanks Matt,
Ava.

Last edited by Ava; 02-08-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Ava

Originally posted by Paul H.
>Are you driving in 4Wd on drive pavement? If you are, then when you turn the wheel, you are putting alot of strain on your drive train because the wheels are trying to turn at the same rate.So don't do this.

I'm not doing this as a rule, I just tried it out for a few hundred meters. That wouldn't damage anything, would it?

>And please let us know where Paramaribo is.

See my earlier reply to Matt.

>P.S. How about some pictures of your ride.

Done, well, one. ;o)

Last edited by Ava; 02-08-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not doing this as a rule, I just tried it out for a few hundred meters. That wouldn't damage anything, would it?

No, it shouldn't.

Does that mean that I can drive 180 mph and kick the box into 4WD or not? ;o)

You can shift at any speed into 4Hi but not 4LO. Remember though, if you need 4Hi you should not be driving very fast at all.
Be safe.