Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger help!!

My first post...learned alot from you guys these past few months. I have a 04tacoma x-cab 4x4 limited trd with 3.4 5 speed 49,500 miles. Mods to date include trd supercharger,lc-1 with db gauge, isr mod, deck plate mod, grey wire mod, electric cooling fan, urd short throw, and trd headers with stock exhaust. It's been about 2500 miles since the s/c was installed found it on ebay brand new in the box $1550 to my door couldn't pass it up I thought it was a gift from god the truck runs well and drivability is very good... wheel spining pull through 1st and 2nd however the motor seems a little flat at wot in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. My AFR at wot lowest 12.4 but mostly average 13.4 to 13.6. I'm thinking my AFR at wot should be somewhere between 11.8 to 12.4 and take alittle timing out engine ping is not an issue the stock ecu has adjusted well with the deck plate in. Does anyone know what the AFR should be? Thanks in advance of your comments.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a SC. but just from reading, I know there is a lot of good info here...

Now you have more air, but what about gas? bigger injectors? 7th injector?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 PM

you need more fuel the blown 3.4 runs lean at WOT. If your not carefull you will melt down a piston.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
will someone please enlighten me on this 7th injector....im lost....i dont have a clue what it is..
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM

the 7th injector goes between the throttle body and the blower, its a good patch but not a fix. the proper way is new lager injectors and a larger fuel pump, plus the proper computers to run it all.

Last edited by Angus1; 03-27-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Angus1
you need more fuel the blown 3.4 runs lean at WOT. If your not carefull you will melt down a piston.
Maybe he is right...???

However, In my opinion you won't melt any pistons or damage your motor with a TRD supercharger. The TRD supercharger was designed specifiaclly for this motor. In my decade of service experience at the dealer I have never seen one problem with the TRD suoercharger or related engine failure due to one of these units. Not to say it does not happen, but I cannot recall one instance. If you had and unopened box with all the necessary components and an inventory list of included components that could be accounted for then your rig should run and perforn as designed. I would not be so concerned about what the AFR sensors are reading if they are within normal limits, which yours seem to be. If you think something is wrong, I would rely more heavily on the long term fuel trim readings. Like I said IMO! And personally I am also unimpressed with the TRD supercharger for both the 3.4 and the 4.7.

Last edited by mr_schuster; 03-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM

I own this setup and have melted two cats before I got things nailed down.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Angus1
I own this setup and have melted two cats before I got things nailed down.

Pistons too... I do not doubt what you say, however I have never seen any of this in my experiences. If you have pics of a melted cat or burnt piston I would love to see them and share them with co-workers and maybe contact tech. I have not looked for, heard of or seen a TSB regarding this. Where do you get your info and where can I review it. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM

I so wish there was an exact science for the 1uz swap. This 3.4, while a good/solid motor, is a serious dog. The TRD Supercharger is cool, but costly and you have to run premium. But a small 4.0 V8 would be perfect.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Man4God
I so wish there was an exact science for the 1uz swap. This 3.4, while a good/solid motor, is a serious dog. The TRD Supercharger is cool, but costly and you have to run premium. But a small 4.0 V8 would be perfect.
drive a 22re then try and call the 3.4 a dog..
Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by mr_schuster
Maybe he is right...???

However, In my opinion you won't melt any pistons or damage your motor with a TRD supercharger. The TRD supercharger was designed specifiaclly for this motor. In my decade of service experience at the dealer I have never seen one problem with the TRD suoercharger or related engine failure due to one of these units. Not to say it does not happen, but I cannot recall one instance. If you had and unopened box with all the necessary components and an inventory list of included components that could be accounted for then your rig should run and perforn as designed. I would not be so concerned about what the AFR sensors are reading if they are within normal limits, which yours seem to be. If you think something is wrong, I would rely more heavily on the long term fuel trim readings. Like I said IMO! And personally I am also unimpressed with the TRD supercharger for both the 3.4 and the 4.7.
OMG please post this statement up on CustomTacos or TTORA and see what kind of replies you get. You'll find many more of the boosted guys/gals on there. It'll be sooo entertaining! So...I'm wondering why TRD even put out a 7th injector kit???
Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Speedy's Sportrunner page

gadgetonline

All the info you need plus some. Both sites are very good reads. Speedy's site talks about the bare bone needs where as gadget aka the pioneer of the TRD SC, talks about alot of trial and error untill he found what worked best.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM

Thanks guys... I'm not worried about burning a piston with 7psi of boost that just won't happen with the stock fuel system however the truck feels slightly lean above 3500rpm at wot in 3rd 4th and 5th gear. I'm looking for someone with the same setup as me who has theres dialed in so I can use it as a baseline so to speak. I've been to the speedy site he did I nice job with his but I can't compare it to mine he's got a heavy 4runner with a auto trans. I know when I added the electric fan and got rid of the stock clutch fan the engine tachs up alot quicker and the boost comes on sooner with less throttle input that's when I noticed the engine fells alittle flat in the higher gears if that makes sense.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_schuster
If you have pics of a melted cat or burnt piston I would love to see them and share them with co-workers and maybe contact tech. I have not looked for, heard of or seen a TSB regarding this. Where do you get your info and where can I review it. Thanks in advance...
Here's a burnt valve pic, I'm not saying it was or wasn't from running lean though.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ebuild-100924/

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

I spoke with the guys at URD by email...they told me to call so I did twice but they never call me back I guess my money is no good over there. I would like to use their plug and play harness, 7th injector kit, AFR calibrator, 2.2 pulley and maybe the crank pulley too they sell it looks pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04tacomatrd5speed
I spoke with the guys at URD by email...they told me to call so I did twice but they never call me back I guess my money is no good over there. I would like to use their plug and play harness, 7th injector kit, AFR calibrator, 2.2 pulley and maybe the crank pulley too they sell it looks pretty cool.
They are pretty busy sometimes, try them again.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Easy there.

When you call URD your pretty much calling Gadget (Remeber Gadget "aka the pioneer of the TRD SC") Give them some time, it'll be plenty worth the wait.

Last edited by Joe's Toy; 03-28-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Yeah thats why I bought my blower too. Cause it looks cool Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Honestly if you are having a hard time contacting URD id look into the many other solutions that are available out there. Some options for piggybacks are:

SMT-6
SMT-7
Map-ECU 2

Some options for additional fuel:

Additional Injector
Supra Injectors

If you need more info let me know, Ive used all these methods in the past.

P.S URD is a business, i dont think its acceptable for any business to not contact people back. I knew someone from this forum (ill have him post) that spent the moeny on the kit and it took weeks to get a phone calll back for support.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by blink
Honestly if you are having a hard time contacting URD id look into the many other solutions that are available out there. Some options for piggybacks are:

SMT-6
SMT-7
Map-ECU 2

Some options for additional fuel:

Additional Injector
Supra Injectors

If you need more info let me know, Ive used all these methods in the past.

P.S URD is a business, i dont think its acceptable for any business to not contact people back. I knew someone from this forum (ill have him post) that spent the moeny on the kit and it took weeks to get a phone calll back for support.
URD is a great company, Gadget is very very helpful, but yes he is hard to get a hold of. The company was basically two people the last time I spoke to Brian and Gadget and they are *always* on the move...if you have some technical Qs, Gadget hangs out on CT much more than here these days.

Quick Reply: Supercharger help!!