Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stupid Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Check Engine Light

I bought a stock 96 4runner 96000 km (60000 miles) 3 weeks ago and I had just below a quarter tank of gas left from my 1st fuel up since I bought the truck (used recommended 87 octane gas)
It was one of the 1st cold days in Toronto, Canada today and truck was sitting for like 5 hours and after driving for 10 mins the check engine light came on, so I pulled over and looked around and didn't see anything.
I stopped for gas (gas cap hissed when opened) and still got CEL...The truck runs fine still (just happened today and I drove for 1 hr afterwards)

My action plan is:
1. Go to dealer and get codes from them on Monday.
2. Investigate 1 or 2 CEL complaints in the previous owners service records (throttle body service & sensor I think) to see if its a re-occuring issue
3. Investigate error code root cause in detail

My questions are:
1. I am wondering if there is a way to check ODB-II codes without a reader? I read the answer is no!
2. Since there isn't any Autozones in Toronto, does any one know any other shops that will read ECU for free in Toronto?
3. If I clear codes myself by removing the EFI fuse (15A) for 1 minute with the ignition switch OFF, do i have to do anything else (pull the negative cable to my battery for 30 minutes?)
4. Since I bought the truck, I would hear a buzzing sound (sounds like a fly in jar) from the drivers side of engine bay after the engine is turned off (buzz is off/on in 10-30 second intervals) I believe it is the charchol cannister and i am still trying to figure out if this is normal noise and now if it is related to CEL
Any thoughts?

As always any help is appreciated!
Cheers
Old 11-26-2004, 02:30 AM

Hi

This is off topic, but you mention 87 octane fuel... Here we ONLY have 95 and 98 and 99 octane fuel.. don't know why but it's supposed to be better for your car to use higher octane, and better for the enviroment.

I know the engines change the timing, in relation to the octane of the fuel, and that alone could possible trip the check engine light ?

Just a thought..

But that engine light usually turns on when a sensor is not working.. or disconnected.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:33 AM
lee
Contributing Member

no, it isnt the fuel... we have 87, 89, 91, 93 here... and 87 is recommended for 3rd gens.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:05 AM

GASOLINE - Expensive - Differences

Originally Posted by lee
no, it isnt the fuel... we have 87, 89, 91, 93 here... and 87 is recommended for 3rd gens.
Sometimes I wish we had cheaper gas here too But I guess we get more power and a cleaner engine out of our 95-99 octane fuel.

Here a liter of a 95 is about $1.6
So that in gallons is $6-7 !!!!! It's sick how expensive it is here. And so cheap for the USA / Canada, I wonder why...
Old 11-26-2004, 06:56 AM

Wild stretch, but does it have the original/correct gas cap? On my wife's Honda CRV, they will throw codes if an improper type of gas cap is used.
Just throwing darts to see where they land
Old 11-26-2004, 07:03 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Autozone auto parts stores in this area will pull the code for free. See if you have a similiar situation with other auto parts/repair stores. The stealership typically charges too much just to check the code.

I wouldn't assume anything until you get the code.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:12 PM

To answer previous replies - i havent figured out how to quote yet :p
87 octane is listed as 91 in brackets on gas pumps here ex. 87 (91) - which is what is recommend. the previous owner said he used premium gas but it isnt recommended and I researched that premium gas could cause problems in vehicle that doesnt need it so i stuck with reg gas.

As for the gas cap I read that the gas lid has a notch to hook up the gas cap to it while refuelling and I noticed mine doesnt do this and the gas cap doesnt have the plastic wire thing to hang it (if u drop it) so I dont think its the original. As I said in org post the cap is secure and hisses when opened so I dont think thats it, but will check with dealer 1st for codes - I got friend works there so I will try to get code for free
If not I will buy a reader or search for free scans.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:03 PM

Why is that cap so important ?

Never heard that could be an issue ...
Old 11-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnkay
I bought a stock 96 4runner 96000 km (60000 miles) 3 weeks ago and I had just below a quarter tank of gas left from my 1st fuel up since I bought the truck (used recommended 87 octane gas)
It was one of the 1st cold days in Toronto, Canada today and truck was sitting for like 5 hours and after driving for 10 mins the check engine light came on, so I pulled over and looked around and didn't see anything.
I stopped for gas (gas cap hissed when opened) and still got CEL...The truck runs fine still (just happened today and I drove for 1 hr afterwards)

My action plan is:
1. Go to dealer and get codes from them on Monday.
2. Investigate 1 or 2 CEL complaints in the previous owners service records (throttle body service & sensor I think) to see if its a re-occuring issue
3. Investigate error code root cause in detail

My questions are:
1. I am wondering if there is a way to check ODB-II codes without a reader? I read the answer is no!
You are correct, no, you need an OBD II reader.
2. Since there isn't any Autozones in Toronto, does any one know any other shops that will read ECU for free in Toronto?
The free code reading thing is mainly US only, I have yet to find one to do it in Canada for free.
3. If I clear codes myself by removing the EFI fuse (15A) for 1 minute with the ignition switch OFF, do i have to do anything else (pull the negative cable to my battery for 30 minutes?)
Pulling the fuse will reset the ECU, clear the codes and thus the CEL goes out. The negative will reset all the systems in the truck but for your purposes the fuse will work fine.
4. Since I bought the truck, I would hear a buzzing sound (sounds like a fly in jar) from the drivers side of engine bay after the engine is turned off (buzz is off/on in 10-30 second intervals) I believe it is the charchol cannister and i am still trying to figure out if this is normal noise and now if it is related to CEL
Any thoughts?
This is a very common problem and can be remedied by a simple replacement part. I seriouslydoubt it has anything to do with the CEL at all. Mine still buzzes and it doesn't bother me one bit so I left it alone.

As always any help is appreciated!
Cheers
I also doubt the gas cap hissing has anything to do with the CEL either. Mine also doesn't have a tether and I am sure it was the original so don't worry about that at all. You do need to get the code read to find out what the problem really is. If you get the code and post the number here I am sure we can get it solved for you pronto. No sense in guessing or taking shots in the dark on what it might be.

There are a few ways to do the code reading yourself like with the reader I use with my PDA (see my sig) or with one from ebay like this:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/search...d=-1&fp=0&st=1
Old 11-26-2004, 03:47 PM

Ty all very much - I wll post if I find free ECU reading in Toronto - damn dealer said buzzing is normal!!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnkay
Ty all very much - I wll post if I find free ECU reading in Toronto - damn dealer said buzzing is normal!!
You can fix it if you want and there is a TSB out on it too.
It has just been of low priority for me thus far to do anything about it.
It won't hurt anything if you just leave it so only do it if it annoys you.