See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Squeaking noise in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking noise in reverse

This is my first time on the site. What an awesome find. I've been going nuts trying to figure out this noise we have on our 01 LTD we bought a couple months ago. I figured there are more knowlegeable people on this forum than anywhere else so here it goes.....

I didn't notice it when we took the test drive, but when I back up and cut the wheels hard to the right the 4runner makes a terrible squeaking sound. It does it with or without pressing the brakes, but seems to be coming mostly from the rear passenger side. The dealer cleaned the brakes and it did nothing to help. It sounds like a high pitched squeaking and does it anytime I back up. First thing, after driving all day, hot, cold, anytime. I heard another 4runner in a parking lot backing up the other day doing the same thing. Please help.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:00 PM
CTB

Do you have your wheel turned all the way to one side? If so, it is likely your steering stops. Check out this article and go from there:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ront_end/lube/

scroll down to the first section about the steering stops.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:20 PM

CTB,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the front steering stops. I checked out the web site and I do need to grease them, but the noise is coming from the rear passenger area. I only notice it when backing up to the right. It doesn't squeak when backing straight up or to the left at all. But any turn to the right and it starts whether a mild turn to the right or cutting the wheels all the way. I can't figure it out. It does it regardless of whether I'm pressing the brakes or not also. The part that sucks the most is backing out of a parking lot and watching ten people turn around and look at what is making that awful sound, my wife hates it. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are in NC near Wilmington. I saw you are in SC, I grew up there.

WCR
Old 03-16-2003, 09:44 PM

Just wanted to say welcome. I wish I could help you with your squeak but I can't. Don't feel bad, my truck squeaks (chirps like a bird) whenever I hit a bump. I can't locate it either. Anyway, welcome.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2003, 05:11 PM

Thanks,

I had another squeak that I figured out after a while. Thre 4R squeaked when going over litte bumps and it turned out to be the frame rubbing against the gas tank skid plate. There is a piece of rubber between these two to prevent rubbing, but the rubber got really dry and caused the noise. A little grease cleared it right up.

Good Luck
Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 PM

Re: Squeaking noise in reverse

Originally posted by tigers
This is my first time on the site. What an awesome find. I've been going nuts trying to figure out this noise we have on our 01 LTD we bought a couple months ago. I figured there are more knowlegeable people on this forum than anywhere else so here it goes.....

I didn't notice it when we took the test drive, but when I back up and cut the wheels hard to the right the 4runner makes a terrible squeaking sound. It does it with or without pressing the brakes, but seems to be coming mostly from the rear passenger side. The dealer cleaned the brakes and it did nothing to help. It sounds like a high pitched squeaking and does it anytime I back up. First thing, after driving all day, hot, cold, anytime. I heard another 4runner in a parking lot backing up the other day doing the same thing. Please help.
I have the same problem dont know what it is
Old 10-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem. I thought the noise only occured in reverse. Turns out it was happening in forward, too. I just couldn't hear it. The noise was coming from the upper and lower ball joints in the front. I hit them with some white lithium grease and that did the trick.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by HaveBlue
I had the same problem. I thought the noise only occured in reverse. Turns out it was happening in forward, too. I just couldn't hear it. The noise was coming from the upper and lower ball joints in the front. I hit them with some white lithium grease and that did the trick.
no dude i have the same problem as the other guy, sounds coming from the rear and only happens when reversiing ,braking and turning right
Old 10-18-2003, 05:10 AM

Have you tried anything to fix the squeaking. I have yet to find the problem. Somebody told me to change the brake pads, but I don't think it is going to help. Have you tried it? Also, I know the previous owner had the front rotor turned before we bought the 4R, but is there anything you can do for the rear drums. Can they be turned or something? Thanks.

WCR