Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speeding TIcket Help??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding TIcket Help??!!

Any of you know how to get out a speeding ticket?? Got hit for 29 in a 25 today (school zone), even though there was no class either yesterday or today. Was thinking of trying to pull the infamous "my speedo is off due to my larger rubbers", but that is probably not the best approach...even though it is valid:

Stock: 265/65R17
Now: 285/65R17 (31.6 X 11.2)

Anyway, just wondering if that school wasn't in session there was a way I could get it dropped. Let me know what you think. Any yotatech officers on here...you are good, good, people.

Billy

Oh yeah, I've also been told that if you send in a check for 2 or 3 dollars over the actual fine, the transaction is never officially closed until they send you a return check...anyone ever done this? Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:06 PM

First off the $1 over check thing is a myth, urban legend, whatever you want to call it.
Check this guys website, he's a former police seargent, www.bogusticket.com when I first bookmarked it, he had everything spelled out on how to beat a number of different tickets. For FREE!, I guess he wised up when he saw how many hits he was getting. There still might be some good info on there though. Good Luck
Old 10-17-2003, 05:45 PM

29 in a 25??? You are kidding right??

I have been a cop for 18 years and I have never seen such a thing unless there was some lip involved.

If that is truely the case, do not make any excuses, simply plead guilty and ask the judge if there is some way to have the conviction set aside, some places call it probation before judgement. That allows you to leave with no conviction like it never happened.

Now if you try to dream up some kind of BS excuse for 4 over you are going to dig yourself a hole. Everyone speeds including that judge and 4 over is nothing, hell it is going to make you look like a Boy Scout compared to the rest of the nitwits in the courtroom.

Anyway that is how I would do it and I will bet you a box of donuts that the police officer will get one of those looks from the judge, you know one of those looks calling him an asshole without saying it.

I doubt the officer will show up for a 4 over ticket for that very reason. If he does not plead not guilty.

OK, so lets have it, what did you say to him to get a 4 over ticket??? Come on spill it!

Hell if one of my troops wrote someone for 4 over without out a "POP" situation, me and the squad would run him out of the roll call room. I am sorry, but I am just not buying it. Can you scan this ticket and post it up for us to laugh at? I would love to take it to work and show it around. Where the hell was this anyway?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 PM

Hey Gadget he said it was a School Zone. Does that make a difference? You gave very sound advice. I recently got a speeding ticket (1st one in 16 years ) Plead the old my speedo is incorrect and ended up paying the speeding ticket. The charge was changed to improper equipment with no points on my license.
BTW when on the interstate in MD I always do the speed limit
Old 10-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Del

Hey there, my dad has a book called "Fight Your Ticket and Win". It has every kind of traffic ticket you can get, and tells every loophole you can use to get out of it.

hey Gadget, I heard something about there has to be a sign posted somewhere along the road if they're going to use radar. Is that true?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:50 PM

in washington at least school zones are in effect whenever children are present, it could be the middle of summer with no school. so ya were there any kids around? i dont think he'll show up for 4 over id fight it.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Del
Hey there, my dad has a book called "Fight Your Ticket and Win". It has every kind of traffic ticket you can get, and tells every loophole you can use to get out of it.

hey Gadget, I heard something about there has to be a sign posted somewhere along the road if they're going to use radar. Is that true?
No, that is not true. Those signs just try to get you to comply with the speed limit.

You know those signs that say "speed enforced by aircraft"? Those signs are pretty much the entire speed enforced by aircraft program. They migh really do it once or twice a year just so they can say they do and keep the airplane.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-18-2003, 04:43 AM

speeding ticket

Awwwwww this reminds me of the time when I got caught doing 226 in a 100km/h zone ...converted to mph that is somewhere around 140 mph.... That was just the first cop I passed in the speed trap.... The second one nailed me at 279km/h but they thought something was wrong with his radar gun.
I did what Gadget said...stood up and took my lumpings! It was the first time I ever received a speeding ticket and it was a good one.. I was saving up for it too!

I can't believe you got a ticket for 4mph over??? May want to see if his radar gun was calibrated recently. I do know there is a period of time that it must be done in either before or after a ticket(s) are given. At least here anyway.... Ont.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:02 AM
Banned

Here there are three kinds of school zone. They all say different things on the signs. Some say "School days 7AM to 4PM," if its a summer school they add a sign on the post that says "SUMMER SESSION." Some have a yellow light and say "When Flashing." Some say "When Children are present." Go back and read the sign carefully and start your case from there.

School zones are enforced very strictly here. Fines are doubled in school and construction zones. Motorcycle patrols hide in bushes and hidden alleys to nail anyone 3MPH or more over the 20 mph limit. When CSPD first got their fleet of new motorcycles they would set up traps anywhere they could hide including sidewalks and private property to stop people for as little as 33 in 30 zones, not school or construction zones. I think its not so much to insure saftey as it is to catch other infractions like no insurance, no seatbelts, DUI, bench warrants, whatever else they want to throw at you. They have to pay for those motorcycles somehow so they sometimes write their own laws since lots of people won't fight in court, they just pay like sheep.

Get the facts and fight it. Its your duty as a citizen.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:17 AM

Gadget or anyone who wishes to respond

If you plead guilty to to driving 12 miles over the speed limit in a residential zone, is there a time limit before the infraction drops off your driving record? If a driver had a speeding ticket on his record prior to attaining car insurance and that speeding ticket was factored into your premiums, do you have a arguement for a rate reduction after a certain length of time?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
back in high school, i knew a guy who got nailed for a 25 in a 20(school zones here reduce the speed limit to 20). he got a 220$ ticket
Old 10-18-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by CruisingBama
Gadget or anyone who wishes to respond

If you plead guilty to to driving 12 miles over the speed limit in a residential zone, is there a time limit before the infraction drops off your driving record? If a driver had a speeding ticket on his record prior to attaining car insurance and that speeding ticket was factored into your premiums, do you have a arguement for a rate reduction after a certain length of time?

Thanks
I don't know. I have not gotten a speeding ticket in just over 18 years. Been stopped a lot, just don't get tickets...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-18-2003, 09:19 AM

gadget

Thanks for the reply. I received my ticket over 5 years ago. I'll look into the matter.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:57 AM

Thanks guys

Hey, first of all, I gotta thank you all for the help. Good to hear it from your point of view, Gadget. So, here is the rest of the story. I got pulled over about 4 blocks from the school zone, where the speed limit was still 25. I had just checked about 2 minutes prior to the incident and realized that I didn't have my wallet with me (no license). I was real polite, but I think what made him write the ticket was the lack of my license...I gave him my insurance and registration and also told him my license number. He fumbled around a bit, and then eventually returned and gave me an unwritten warning about the lack of license, and ticket me for "exceeded posted speed (school zone)". He did not write a number as far as mph until I asked him what I was officially charged with (couldn't read the Montana ticket very well) and then he wrote in with in 29/25. I asked him if I had the right to see his radar, as you do in washington, but he told me that I couldn't come back to his car. I implied again that I didn't want to come back to his car, I just wanted to see the gun. He simply said no, and said they are calibrated every 3-4 months. He told me that if I would have been on main street going by the school he would not have ticketed me (school is on a corner). He also checked on the ticket that I was violating MONTANA CODE, not CITY CODE, or COUNTY ORDINACE. I was thinking that a specific school zone would apply to the CITY CODE sanction, but I guess maybe not. So that is the story there. My driving record is as follows:

Ticketed 2 years ago for 32 in a 25 here in Montana
Received a 6 month deferred sentence for speeding with my Lightning that ended in August.
And then, ticketed yesterday for the 29 in a 25 in Montana again

I was thinking of trying to go deferred, but I think you can only do that every 7 years. I have also been told that anything that is 6 mph or less over the speed limit does not go to your insurance (I'm sure this varies from company to company). And the first Montana ticket won't drop for one more year, right (3 years total)? One of my friends actually went to the dealership and had his speedo recalibrated the day after receiving his ticket and took the receipt to court; ticket was dropped. Another pulled the $3 dollar over thing and after about a month received a refund checkin the mail from the DMV. He never cashed it and the citation never closed, and 4 years later it still hasn't hit his record. So I don't know, you guys have given me a lot of ideas. I was thinking that I had something with school not being in session, since that was the main charge on the ticket. I was gonna go in a get a pamphlet proving that teacher conferences were going on (no kids present). Sorry for the run on, but I appreciate all that you can tell me. Thanks again guys. I'll keep checking as you post.

Billy
Old 10-18-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Thanks guys

Originally posted by fourunnabilly
I was real polite, but I think what made him write the ticket was the lack of my license...I gave him my insurance and registration and also told him my license number. He fumbled around a bit, and then eventually returned and gave me an unwritten warning about the lack of license, and ticket me for "exceeded posted speed (school zone)". He did not write a number as far as mph until I asked him what I was officially charged with (couldn't read the Montana ticket very well) and then he wrote in with in 29/25. I asked him if I had the right to see his radar, as you do in washington, but he told me that I couldn't come back to his car. I implied again that I didn't want to come back to his car, I just wanted to see the gun. He simply said no, and said they are calibrated every 3-4 months. He told me that if I would have been on main street going by the school he would not have ticketed me (school is on a corner). He also checked on the ticket that I was violating MONTANA CODE, not CITY CODE, or COUNTY ORDINACE. I was thinking that a specific school zone would apply to the CITY CODE sanction, but I guess maybe not. So that is the story there.
Dude... he let you off easy BECAUSE you were polite. But then you went and argued with him! argh.

The reason he wrote it for 4 over is because he knew that it would get tossed out. He wanted to shake you up. He could have written you for driving without a license, but he believed you - he was giving you a gift. Your only real penalty here is the time you'll have to take to go show up in court.

When stuff like this happens, don't press him on wanting to see the radar/lidar gun. Just smile, say thank you and go.

Something similar happened to me about 4 years ago.

School zone, no kids around, it was a Saturday. I came around a blind corner, cop was on the side of the road. Bam! I looked down and saw "32" mph. He pulled me over, and we chatted. I had my license and reg waiting for him when he got to the car. I said "I'm sorry"... He also verbally "noted" that I didn't have my seatbelt on when he walked up to the car (I had taken it off to get to my wallet). He went back to his car, called things in, came back with a ticket - for not wearing my seatbelt.

He gave me a HUGE gift. As a moving violation, the speeding ticket would have stuck on my record for a while, the seatbelt was just a fine to pay to the city.

I know it's hard to think through things when under pressure like this, but keep your eyes and ears open. Cops are human too, not all of them are out to get you.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:47 AM

I know it's hard to think through things when under pressure like this, but keep your eyes and ears open. Cops are human too, not all of them are out to get you.
key phrase...... "not all of them"

but yeah, i've been pulled over quite a few times in my little mazda truck. (male teen profiling ) most of the times they let me go, really i think only one of my tickets was deserved. and that was the only speeding ticket i've had the other 2 were different.

but as mark stated, he actually did you a favor by not busting you for driving with out your license. at least in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: speeding ticket

Originally posted by Sass69
Awwwwww this reminds me of the time when I got caught doing 226 in a 100km/h zone ...converted to mph that is somewhere around 140 mph.... That was just the first cop I passed in the speed trap.... The second one nailed me at 279km/h but they thought something was wrong with his radar gun.
I did what Gadget said...stood up and took my lumpings! It was the first time I ever received a speeding ticket and it was a good one.. I was saving up for it too!

I can't believe you got a ticket for 4mph over??? May want to see if his radar gun was calibrated recently. I do know there is a period of time that it must be done in either before or after a ticket(s) are given. At least here anyway.... Ont.
Hey Sass69,

Know anything about fighting these darn things in Canada?
Just got my first one in 15 years coming across the boarder into Quebec. I was polite as could be but the Quebec cop was very unpleasant (likely cause I didn't want to speak french to him!) The ticket was just as the limit changed from 100 to 90 and then he claimed I was doing 116! Well not a chance but what am I gonna say.....you're wrong.....yeah, good move that would be.

I was wondering if you know if that $3 over thing works in Canada at all or if you know of any other tricks I might be able to use in this situation.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:45 PM

So Gadget,

Coming from an officer, what do you think my best plan of attack is. Thanks again guys. I'll shut up now.

BIlly
Old 10-19-2003, 04:53 AM

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp
The "$3 scheme" doesn't work here.
Aaron

Last edited by AFRunner; 10-19-2003 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Gadget
[B]I don't know. I have not gotten a speeding ticket in just over 18 years. Been stopped a lot, just don't get tickets...B]
Isn't that called "professional courtesy"?