Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spedo Jittering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spedo Jittering?

I did a quick search and didn't find alot on it.
Here's my prob, I'm going down the road and my speedo is jittering like shaking erratically. I'm not hitting any bumps, at least not ones to cause this kind of jittering. I mainly notice it inbetween 45 and 75. Has anyone else had these problems? I just want to get a head start on fixing it before it gets rediculusly cold.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Krash
I did a quick search and didn't find alot on it.
Here's my prob, I'm going down the road and my speedo is jittering like shaking erratically. I'm not hitting any bumps, at least not ones to cause this kind of jittering. I mainly notice it inbetween 45 and 75. Has anyone else had these problems? I just want to get a head start on fixing it before it gets rediculusly cold.
Does it sputter? Mine just started acting up again today and the speedo jumps just a little though and I lose power and it comes back lose it again and it comes back plus the pinging is worse than ever. Seems to be after I had to unplug the battery for 2 days. Maybe the 47 psi in the tires I just put in is doing it

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 10-27-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The cable is dry.
All '89 and up to whenever before they switched to a cableless one do this.

Mine now for the 1st few minutes during these cold mornings groans real loud.
The sound is enough to make you want to put in ear plugs.

The cure is to pull the cable out and lube it, or have the dealer replace it.
I learn to live with it.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 AM

I think i'll try lubin' mine.Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks corey, man I was thinking that the gears on it were going out or something worse. I'll live with it till I get the time to mess with it.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:36 PM

mine does the same but no noise. I bought a new cable from tha stealership ($78!!!) but that didn't solve it. so I live with it
Old 10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Could be a loose guage cluster, mine was loose my truck and it made my speedo and tach jump around a little bit.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

see my tach doesn't jump though just my speedo. I think its the cable that is loose or something. I'll mess with it in a couple weeks when I get the time.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I should shoot a video when I leave for work so you can see what I put up with when it is cold outside.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

man thats alright, when it rains my dome light will turn on when I open the door, any other time it doesn't want to work or will work when it wants to.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did someone say "speedometer cable problems?" Oh, yeah -- I've seen it all on my 2nd gen. My problems started after I put on headers -- melted through two cables before re-routing it far enough that the sheath doesn't turn to soup. The third time it happened I replaced the plastic gear going into the transfer case at the end of the speedo cable that was stripped. Did that the fourth time, too. The fifth time -- did I mention this was all in the past three months? -- we replaced the gauge cluster. It's been two weeks. No shaking, jittering, or jumping so far. Each time it failed, it had the symptoms you describe right before it failed.

It may be dry and in need of some lube, or it may be shot and ready for replacement. Or it could be a siezed up gear in the gauge cluster. My suggestion is to take action soon. Fortunately, if it does go, it doesn't prevent you from driving the vehicle. The computer will toss out a check engine light, and the O/D light wil flash on/off, but you can at least keep motoring.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Ed
Old 10-27-2004, 07:55 PM

I have Corey's problem as well, a LOUD screeching groan on cold days. I have to pull out the speedo and lube the cable good every winter. Should go out and do it now before it gets any colder...I'll never learn.
Needle bounces around pretty good too.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I should shoot a video when I leave for work so you can see what I put up with when it is cold outside.

does it do it only when you move or when you're stopped and rev it too? mine might do it also
Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 PM

Mine now for the 1st few minutes during these cold mornings groans real loud.
The sound is enough to make you want to put in ear plugs.
Mine does the same thing, first thing in the morning on these cold days as soon as I reach about 55mph. It groans, but not as loud as yours seems to. It goes away after a few minutes. Pretty annoying to say the least.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

well worse comes to worse i still have my crappy 3 gauge cluster from the swap. I'll lube it here soon just my next two weekends are extremly busy that I wont have the time to do it.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by SolidDigital
does it do it only when you move or when you're stopped and rev it too? mine might do it also
Only when moving, and it can start in at 10 MPH all the way up to whatever.
It can do it for 5 minutes or more, then it stops.

I will never pull it out and lube it, so I live with it.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

I will never pull it out and lube it, so I live with it.
Little stubborn are we?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:13 AM

All you have to do is pull off the outer trim piece around the guages pull a few screws and the guages fall out into your lap. The cable disconnects easily. I had to do mine twice the first time becuase I didn't work the lube in there as well as I should have. I bet if the cable were also disconnected at the TC it would pull out of the sheath a bit to make it easier. It seems like there is a seal you have to work the lube past to get it in the area that squeals and drives me nuts.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:27 PM

I had the rear flange come loose on the back of the transfer case which damaged the plastic gear on the speedo unit coming out the transfer, replaced it with a used one and it seems to work fine so far. First noticed the speedo shake at about 45/50mph and wouldn't really go above 65......... then the vibration started on deceleration. Dropped the driveshaft and out came the transfer oil from around the flange nut. Hopefully it didn't damage anything else?!?!?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Well my speedo still jitters but its nothing really bothering me that much. I got the squealing to go away with wd-40. I dunno how good that is. Probably isn't good but it was a quick fix because it was cold and I was just using it to get rid of the noise over the winter.

Quick Reply: Spedo Jittering?