Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Small noise coming from the front

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small noise coming from the front

i have a small issue, when its cold outside (when i first get going in the AM) when i get the truck rolling no gas, no brake (right after start up) just coasting at barely a move i hear a "sss sss sss sss" (like something rubbing) in the front right hand side of the truck. its very quiet and when i tap the gas you cannot hear it again. any ideas? i was thinking of a sticky brake but i dont have the brake on. i dont hear any other time of the day or what not.. wierd

i know its hard to diagnose without the actual sound. but some ideas would be nice. this truck is pampered. its my daily driver and the only vehicle i have / need.. it does see some mud esp in hunting season.. 4x4 w\ 117k miles on the clock thanks fellas

--had the tires rotated after the noise and had the guy look to make sure i didnt have rock or something stuck somewhere and he said no it all looked good.

its very quiet but noticable

any ideas?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should always give us your year and model vehicle.
There is a vent up in front on my 99 runner I hear close or open when ever I leave the driveway after start up. sounds like it's coming from the front fender.

Kenny S>
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM

year and model is in the sig.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mkgarrison we give up just bumping ya to the top dude

bring it out here let's hear it and we'll show you some scary trails and some easy ones too

can you get us an audio clip? me I can't even do pictures without a struggle....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
mkgarrison we give up just bumping ya to the top dude

bring it out here let's hear it and we'll show you some scary trails and some easy ones too

can you get us an audio clip? me I can't even do pictures without a struggle....
lol sorry... my truck info is in my sig guys... i dont know how to describe the noise other than it sounds like something rubbing lightly and i can only hear it when at idle and rolling very slow. its not constant, there is a very small pause in the noise. hence why i said sss sss sss and really thats what it sounds like. when the truck stops it stops.. weird man... curious if my pads are rubbing the disc but the fella at the tire place all looked pretty good and i do trust him, he is pretty good
Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM

You said when you tap the gas, you cannot hear it again. What about when you hit the brakes? Is it a metal on metal type of sound? Are you sure it's coming from the front? Have you had someone pinpoint the sound from the outside of the vehicle?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 AM

sounds like a brake caliper dragging just a bit on the rotor. Try just touching the brake while its doing the noise and see if it goes away
Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 AM

i have tried the brakes and yes it seems to go away when i do so. but when i let off the brake it comes back.. now after the truck is warm i dont really notice the sound anymore.. its really weird hence the reason why i am posting this.. it sounds like something is rubbing (obviously) its not a constant rub... it stops for a half second like sss sss sss sss... i have thought about the pad somehow rubing the rotor. my brakes seem fine though. no steering shake or anything. no i have not had anyone pinpoint the sound for me. again this happens mostly in the morning when everything is "cold".......... if the caliper is draggin on the rotor a bit why would the sound not be constant? just curious... perhaps the rotor is warped? i dunno. again its weird
Old 10-09-2008, 02:52 PM

I have the same type of noise. I hear it from the right side on my 97 4runner when I am driving next to a fence. You can hear the noise echo off the fence ya know?

I know we are talking two different animals here, but it turns out my R/F axle is making the noise. It is the inner joint.

The axle is less than a year old too. I gotta get around to replacing it.

But I have the exact same symptoms as you describe.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jeremy9allen
I have the same type of noise. I hear it from the right side on my 97 4runner when I am driving next to a fence. You can hear the noise echo off the fence ya know?

I know we are talking two different animals here, but it turns out my R/F axle is making the noise. It is the inner joint.

The axle is less than a year old too. I gotta get around to replacing it.

But I have the exact same symptoms as you describe.
thats what i was afraid of.. my boots are good and not dry rotted, the truck is basically babied considering the standards here LOL. dont have a choice in that. is this something to just wait on and allow to break? my guess is yes lol... ill double check everything this weekend.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Mine has been like that since june I think. Thats when I noticed it.

I know I probably should replace it, but I just don't think I will get around to it.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay it sounds like you are getting it narrowed down... glad I could get some other eyes on your thread