Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rust proofing ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust proofing ?

I did a search and found very little information about his subject .

Is it worth while to proffesionally rust proof my 97 4runner .I don`t think it`s ever been done .I heard that rusproofing would clog holes in the body that were designed to drain away moisture .
Old 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM

UP here in the rust belt of PA. I take the regular spray can undercoating and hit the wheel wells, and frame. I think the biggest part of preventing rust is keeping things clean. Get all that salt off and always spray under it real good and the high pressure car wash. If you buy undercoating get the rubberized stuff. It's alittle more but better than the cheap stuff.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:27 AM

I'm always getting mine done before the winter season. Up here you do need to rustproof the vehicle if you intend to keep it for a while.
I have used Rustcheck from Autobahn (Finch and Dufferin area) for the past two seasons(that how long I own my runner, and I know it has been rustproofed before as well), they seem to be doing a good job.
You can also check 'Crown', I heard good things about them and there are few places in the TO area.
If you have not done this before make sure you are aware that there are two ways they do that:1. they use existing openings and drain holes to get inside the pannes and frame and 2. they drill additional holes in the body for more 'detailed operation'. I have decided to go with #2 and that's fine. The holes are reused every time, they are well protected and plugged.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 AM

Krown or Ziebart

Stay away from Rust Check.... There product is not as good as Krown or Ziebart. Don't get the rubberized stuff unless you vehicle is new... they will tell you (if you ask). Dripless works very well and doesn't get all over the place. It smells for the next few drives until it burns off the hot spots, but other than that I highly recommend for us Cannucks!!!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:05 AM

I bought this super heavy duty aircaft metal protectant stuff for like $9 a can and it works really good, The only downside is it leaves a waxy residue were you sprayed it. I cant remeber the name of it right now but if your interested i look and see were you can get it.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by silverunner99
I'm always getting mine done before the winter season. Up here you do need to rustproof the vehicle if you intend to keep it for a while.
I have used Rustcheck from Autobahn (Finch and Dufferin area) for the past two seasons(that how long I own my runner, and I know it has been rustproofed before as well), they seem to be doing a good job.
You can also check 'Crown', I heard good things about them and there are few places in the TO area.
If you have not done this before make sure you are aware that there are two ways they do that:1. they use existing openings and drain holes to get inside the pannes and frame and 2. they drill additional holes in the body for more 'detailed operation'. I have decided to go with #2 and that's fine. The holes are reused every time, they are well protected and plugged.
Hope this helps.
Hey Silver, I need to get mine done too.......any suggestions in Montreal?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:21 PM

Nope, sorry....I don't know Montreal that well, I only pass through occasionally on my way to Mt.Tremblant
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

is ziebart actually good stuff?

My brother in law works there, and he's always trying to get me to tint my windows, do a spray on undercoating, etc , but he makes me a little nervous with this kind of stuff as he's a little scammy at times.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:17 AM

Ziebart

I can't speak for the individual locations for Ziebart but I know someone at the location I take mine too.

I bought a 92 VW Cabriolet for my fiancee from someone who had it treated every fall. The under carriage is immaculate hardly any rust and the body panels are absolutely flawless. I have also done the same on my Jetta and 4 runner. The Jetta has been around for awhile and compared to buddies of mine who have not undercoated, mine is in better shape.

If you do get the underspray (dripless) make sure you don't take it through the car wash and get the undercar wash. It probably won't all wash off from 1 time but you don't want to expose any bare metal.

Anyway, thats my opinion and I don't think it will hurt your rig in any case.

Last edited by Sass69; 01-15-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

I did spray on undercoating a while back as a job. It is a total waste. It plugs up holes that you need and coats "good" parts whether they know what they are doing or not.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 01-15-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I did spray on undercoating a while back as a job. It is a total waste. It plugs up holes that you need and coats "good" parts whether they know what they are doing or not.

What the heck were you using that would plug up holes, molases?

And as for coating good parts..... well thats what its suppose to do!

Just out of curiosity, what company would this have been?

Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

It was a detail shop out of Kirkland WA. "ANU Car" was the name, and I was the trainee. The stuff went everywhere. We sprayed for Kirkland Nissan/Subaru.

It was a mess, and I hated it.

Needless to say the place went out of business!

BTW: I meant the coating of "good" parts as in CV boots and rotating assemblies of trucks, such as drivelines, etc. So they started off good, but ended up bad.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 01-15-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
It was a detail shop out of Kirkland WA. "ANU Car" was the name, and I was the trainee. The stuff went everywhere. We sprayed for Kirkland Nissan/Subaru.

It was a mess, and I hated it.

Needless to say the place went out of business!

BTW: I meant the coating of "good" parts as in CV boots and rotating assemblies of trucks, such as drivelines, etc. So they started off good, but ended up bad.

I think the key here is what type of product is being used, they are not all the same. Ziebarts underspray has never caused any issues for my vehicles todate.

Last edited by Sass69; 01-15-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

OK, well I wasnt trying to bash your product. I have no idea what we were using, nor did I care.

Sorry if it sounded like I was bashing the stuff you spray with.