Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Runner took a drive today.... With NO driver!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runner took a drive today.... With NO driver!

Whew did I get lucky today! I slept in and was running a bit behind to work. Anyways I pretty much just came screaming up into the parking lot, jumped out and ran inside before I got busted being late..:rolleyes: Mistake #1. Somehow I guess I ended up in Neutral too. I always park in gear.. Always...Mistake #2:rolleyes: Well anyways about 20 minutes later I hear "Attention in the building a White Toyota 4-Runner License xxxxxxx has rolled from it's parking spot!" It was ironic because a guy in my office has a white 2nd gen as well but I know my license. I ran out in the parking lot and the Runner had rolled out just like I had rolled in. The wheels were still turned. Luckily our parking lot has just a very slight slope and the wheels were turned. It rolled probably only about 15 feet and didn't hit anything so all is well. Worse part was when I got out after reparking it and looked up to see the whole 2nd floor of our building at the windows laughing and pointing at me....:pat: :pat: :pat:
Old 12-17-2002, 10:51 AM

awh its ok. one time, my x-girlfriend and I went to take our dog to the vet. the dog was going crazy in the car the whole way there. so we parked the car and i hurried to get him out and get into the vets office. so we waited and waited for the vet... it took over 1 1/2 hours. finally when we were done, we left the office and went to the car. i noticed it was still ON!!!!! OMG! I left the keys in the ignition, engine on and the doors unlocked! AHHH! lucky for me no one took my car! haha:pat:
Old 12-17-2002, 11:06 AM

I have had a friend who's Subaru poped out of gear & rolled back out of his driveway and off a cliff and landed on its top totaled it.

Another friend stopped his new S10 from rolling into the street at the gas pump with his shoe.

another time I ran and grabbed my e brake just before it smashed the vaccuum at the car wash..People were laughing too..
Old 12-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

lol...thats a nice move with the shoe. sounds like you and your friends have bad luck.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:03 PM

I'm glad that there was no damage....except to your pride....especially when the 2nd Floor P-Nut Gallery was whooping it up!! . You should have mooned them all

I had an "unwanted rolling incident" when I owned my Jeep CJ-7. I had just bought the Jeep and had parked it for the evening in a girl friend's driveway which had a slight slope. I just mashed the e-brake but didn't leave it in gear. When I got up to leave the next morning, my brand new jeep was GONE!!!! I turned to run inside and call the cops to report it as stolen, when I looked across the street and saw 2 headlights reflecting the sun from INSIDE a row of hedges in her neighbor's yard across the street!!! I then realized what had happened.....the e-brake had popped off and the Jeep had rolled backwards....demolishing mailboxes, flowers, and hedges in its wake!!! I sheepishly went across the street and climbed in through the sticker bush hedge and pulled it back into her driveway.....I paid for all damages and was saying many prayers of Thanks that the wheels had been slightly turned....if they hadn't, the Jeep would have rolled into her neighbors garage door and taken it out and the new Mercedes S-Class parked inside!!!! Whew!!! it makes me break out in a cold sweat even now thinking about it!!!

David

Last edited by Memphis4X4; 12-18-2002 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

LOL! You all are hilarious. Glad nothing was damaged. I haven't had anything like that happen yet.

I did run into a huge mailbox though. I was going in circles around a cul-de-sac and hit it. The lady who owned it was in her yard pulling weeds and she was throwing a fit and cussing me out. I was on my bike at the time.

LOL. Have fun you all.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-17-2002, 04:54 PM

how'd he manage to do that with his shoe? sounds pretty 007-like. well nothing like that has happened to me... yet.... cross your fingers.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:11 PM

Lucky no damage bro...I stopped my Celica with my bare heel once...still have a big scar where the meat ground off...:pat:
butnut
Old 12-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

I have never done that, but I work a vet. hospital and I have heard that one or two people have left their car's running while they step in and it has gotten stolen, I think they were pretty expensive cars too, well serves them right for leaving the keys in there, I'm pretty sure they knew the keys were in there too.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Runner took a drive today.... With NO driver!

Originally posted by UKMyers
Worse part was when I got out after reparking it and looked up to see the whole 2nd floor of our building at the windows laughing and pointing at me....:pat: :pat: :pat:
I would have stood in front of the truck and yelled at it. "i told you not to do this any more" then looked at the people and pointd at the truck shaking my head
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by butnut
Lucky no damage bro...I stopped my Celica with my bare heel once...still have a big scar where the meat ground off...:pat:
butnut
Dude!!! That's awesome.....I have never heard of anyone really doing a "Fred Flinstone stop" in an actual vehicle!!! I used to do them all the time in go-karts as a kid and even then, it was with shoes on....never bare feet!!!

cvlighthouse's account of grabbing the e-brake before he hit the vacuum reminded me of the time that we replaced the u-joints in a friend's pick-up in my garage. We had pulled the drive shaft out and lowered the truck of of the jack stands and while we were standing there talking, the truck silently rolled backwards, out of the garage and down the steep driveway towards my Runner and my now-ex-wife's car parked in the street. Eventhough the transmission was in "Park", there was no driveshaft to make "Park" work!!! One of my friends dashed after the truck and dove headfirst through the open driverside window and with his hands pushed the e-brake pedal!!!! The truck left some beautiful skid marks on my drive that lasted for years!!!

David