Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

runner key problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runner key problem

my dad called me today and said he can't start the runner...specifically that the key won't turn. he said lately when he starts it using his spare key (which is rarely used) is gives him a hard time, but will usually turn after a few tries, with some force. but when he uses my key (which is used daily) it usally turns must easier. then today he goes and tries his spare key, cause that's the one he has on his key ring, and it just would not turn. then he tries my key, and that didn't work either.

so he calls the local toyota dealer and they say the weight of the keys on my keychain has messed up the tumblers for the key and they need to have it for a day to fix it.

now i've never had this problem. the worst i've had it is like once a month it wouldn't turn but then i just adjust the steering wheel a little, give it some force and it turns. my runner has been at home for about a month now, only being started and driven maybe once a week by my dad, and he says it's giving him all this trouble.

anyone heard of excessive weight on a keychain causing the tumblers to get out of order. i only have like 3 or 4 keys on my keychain, doesn't seem likely that's it. i did a search and didn't find anything exactly like this, but i did see that a lubricant might be the remedy for the key not turning...
Old 10-09-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: runner key problem

Originally posted by calrockx

so he calls the local toyota dealer and they say the weight of the keys on my keychain has messed up the tumblers for the key and they need to have it for a day to fix it.

anyone heard of excessive weight on a keychain causing the tumblers to get out of order. i only have like 3 or 4 keys on my keychain, doesn't seem likely that's it. i did a search and didn't find anything exactly like this, but i did see that a lubricant might be the remedy for the key not turning...

I have heard this before, but I also drive a service truck and have a nice heavy brass spring loaded rope clip for my belt clip, and lots of master lock keys, lots of commercial keys for mechanical rooms and such. needless to say, its heavy, but never had a problem wearing out a cylinder.

Try some graphite powder, don't spray anything 'wet' in there. That only attracts dirt and gunk to further exasperate the problem.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I heard of that happen on a Mercedes before, my father told me it happend to a friend, thats why he only carries one key!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I would try spraying something in there first. You can use the graphite power or they make little aerosol spray cans with lock lubricant just for this purpose. I used it on mine when my ignition stuck and it freed it right up.

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the tips guys. my dad used some graphite and that seemed to do the trick, works just fine now. if it happens again, i'll suggest the lock lubricant.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

I think this is one of those urban myth type things. I had quite a good sized keychain all the years I drove a Camry. Never had a problem.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Charles,
Sounds like the dealership answer we hear all too often.

Something needs lube.... Replace it with a brand new, expensive part.

BTW... I have been meaning to ask, what up with the newish gothic avitar??

Last edited by SkyRat; 10-10-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SkyRat
Charles,
Sounds like the dealership answer we hear all too often.

Something needs lube.... Replace it with a brand new, expensive part.

BTW... I have been meaning to ask, what up with the newish gothic avitar??
haha yep, i'm surprised the dealer didn't say "yep, looks like you're going to need a new johnson bar, those can be expensive."

oh this avatar isn't meant to be gothic, it's just the symbol for a band i like, alkaline trio.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

i had similar trouble with my 93's key. wouldn't turn, needed to fiddle with it to get it to work. had a few sketchy situations where i thought i was screwed.

the stealership started feeding me a line about the tumblers being out of whack, needing to replace the whole unit, etc. ...

i urged them to cut a new key from the records. they did, and that still didn't work. then, i looked at the key closer and was like, "this can't be the same key template, the key shaft is way too thick."

they cut another one and -- voila! -- turns like a charm.

haven't had any trouble since.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

ps: total cost = $5