Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rubbing Noise... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rubbing Noise... Please Help

Hey guys I have a problem.... I went on my lunch break from work today and as I was pulling out of my parking spot, i hear a sort of rubbing noise from the front end. I didn't think too much of it untill I made a rt. hand turn and the noise occured again. It would make the rubbing when I turned the wheel and the noise would stop once the wheel was facing straight again. As I was driving around, I noticed that it was louder when going rt. then when turning left. however, once I had warmed up the truck, the noise seemed to be less and less audible. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet.. but I was just wondering what 'yall thought about it.

Any tips are much apprecieated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Old 01-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like possibly you have a wheel bearing going being's its louder going one way.. Do a search here for wheel bearings there are several threads concerning this I believe.. Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:22 AM

I would agree with UK, because I had a bearing go out on my truck this past summer. The symptoms were the same, sounds came only from right side, especially when turning, etc... The only difference was that my sounds were like squeeling, not like a rubbing sound. I got a rubbing sound after upgrading my tires, and going a size too wide. You haven't replaced your tires recently have you?

I solved the problem by going into Toyota, and got it covered under warranty!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by INsr5runner
You haven't replaced your tires recently have you?

I solved the problem by going into Toyota, and got it covered under warranty!
No I haven't replaced my tires recently.. they are the same tires that were on the truck when I bought it (about 6 1/2 months ago). And there's no warranty left on this truck! (95 w/113,000 mi.)

I'm gonna try to check the wheel bearings and see if I can visually see anything, but right now it's 9 degrees here in Buffalo w/a windchill of -6.

Any other ideas would be great.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:36 PM

Exclamation Noise back again!!

Well... I brought my truck to the shop, and they looked at it. He told me that my wheel bearings looked good, and that he re-packed them. He also said that he had driven the truck and had not heard the niose (figures)... That was last week... I hadn't heard the noise come back untill today. It didn't seem as loud as before, but I also know that today has been the coldest day (a wopping 9 degree high today) since I have gotten my truck back from the shop. I belive that the cold has something to do with this.

do you guys have any more ideas?? It doesn't seem to be too bad, but I don't like when the truck makes noises it's not supposed to...

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Old 01-27-2003, 06:42 PM

This may be a silly question... but is there any chance that you had an ice build up around the mud flaps or up against the frame.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:06 PM

You need to grease your steering stops. When you turn far enough these bolts typically rub on the metal since their plastic caps are long gone. Chassis grease is the ticket. I do mine almost monthly.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

Do you have manual hubs where you have to get out and turn a dial before you can use 4wd? If not you have ADD so your axleshaft always turns. In the cold the shaft is likely to kinda vibrate within a bushing as it turns. Its a common problem.

On the later years of the old stuff like yours the bushing was replaced with a bearing. Its not a "wheel" bearing so your shop guy may not have checked it. It is on the back of the steering knuckle where the axle shaft enters. Its very hard to get to and hard to check also. Ask your shop guy if he tried to wiggle the axle shaft while he had it torn down packing the wheel bearings. If it wiggled at all i'd bet $5 that's where your noise is coming from.

You say you think cold has something to do with it. That's a common factor with the shaft bushing/bearing noise. My bushing setup made the noise with hubs locked in 2wd in cold weather. Shifting to 4wd made it go away. Unlocking the hubs also made it go away. The cold grease and/or very slight shrinking of the metal with cold temps makes enough room for vibrations and noise to occur there.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:55 PM

Plastic fender liner come loose? The other most likely suspect is your steering stops.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:45 AM

As another idea, maybe it could be power steering noise?
If it only occurs when you're turning, that is when the power-steering pump is working. Check your fluid level.
Thinking about it, we usually take harder right turns than left turns. Example, think about semis.
The posts above are more likely the problem, but I just thought Id throw this idea up as well.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:43 AM

Wow.. thanks for all the replies..

Jx94148.. I think that you may be correct. I do have the ADD on the truck, is this something that I should worry about? or is i just b/c it's super cold out. (I haven't hear it at all today).

Shane... the plastic is fine.. but good thought

Victor... It's not the stops... it's a totaly different sound than that.

DrummerDaveB... I'll give the power steering a look....

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 01-30-2003, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know much about the pickups (except the Tundra), but you have IFS correct?

If so, check the CV boots. Generally (in my experience anyway) when wheel bearings go, they make noise going straight too. When CV's go, it's a lot more pronounced when turning as the u-joints are under more stress. Temp would affect it if there was still some grease left in there, though if they're making noise, you're looking to replace them I think.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone else suggest this so I figured I'd toss it out.