Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof Rack question 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roof Rack question 2001

I need help and suggestions regarding a roof rack for 2001 4Runner.

I just bought a 2001 Runner which did not come with a roof rack. I am thinking about getting one. The local dealer in Chicago quoted $240.00 just for the rack plus tax and installation.

I researched on the web and fond different styles for about half as much. I like the Contempo one for $85.00 but these roof racks say that they are not compatible with sun roofs.
http://www.expressautoparts.com/acce...s/indexveh.cfm

Another idea I had was to go to a junk yard and see if there are any there. A possible challange with that is installation. I am trying to just get a basic stock roof rack. Nothing fancy.

Can anyone recommend a roof rack and does anyone know if they are hard to install? My truck has a black strip instead of the roof rack (see picture below). I think it can come off and a roof rack screwed in its place.

Andrei
lowprofile98@hotmail.com
Old 09-04-2002, 10:06 AM

I had the same black stips on my 96 when I bought it. I ended up ordering the factory roof rack rails (to replace the strips) on line for about $24. Then I bought Thule gear to give me a functional rack. Check out my site for details. I'd be happy to answer any specific question you have.

And yes, the strips come off easily. You just need a #24 torx bit (buy the bit... allens will round it out).
Old 09-04-2002, 10:26 AM

J.T. - thanks for the advice. I actually saw and read your page on roof racks in detail as part of the research I did on the web on the subject a couple oe weeks ago. Nice to hear from you.

OK, I will look into getting just the roof rails. I imagine they will screw back with the #24 torx bit?

Once that is done, what basic roof rack do you recommend? Again, I just want something as basic or as stock looking as possible. I won't be carrying anything except some things from from Home Depot once in a while or some luggages when going to Wisconsin. I won't be carrying bikes or boats (although that lookes like a lot of fun!).

Andrei
www.AndreiTamas.com
Old 09-04-2002, 10:39 AM

Yea, the factory rails will screw in with the torx bolts. Each rail will come with 2 plastic end caps. They are a tight fit onto the rail, so be careful not the break them. I broke the first one I tried to fit, but with a little care, they go on without much worry.

As for a rack... it depends on what you are going to be using it for. I know you said luggage and stuff from Home depot. The factory rack will suit you fine depending on how heave your luggage is and how much home depot stuff you load up there. The factory rack is rated at 150lbs evenly distributed. If you upgrade to Thule feet/crossbars like I did, then the look won't be factory, but you'll be able to carry more weight. Technically, Thule will still say your limit is 150lbs because of the factory rails, but I've had much more weight up there than that. I've pushed 300lbs before and my bars held up fine.

So, if you want a factory look and don't need the extra strenght, go with the factory rack. It's easy to install so don't worry about installation costs. http://www.toyotaparts4u.com or http://www.toyotaguys.com will probably have the best prices, probably around $200 +shipping. If you need the extra strength, I recommend Thule (I'm not a fan of yakima gear personally). It'll cost you about the same as a factory rack (+/- $25 or so), is much more versitle, and much stronger so you can grow into it if necessary.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lowpro:

there are cheaper sources for factory roof rails. try ebay for sure. i think i saw some there last nite.

As for the rack system (not rails), you definitely have a lot of choices. of course, yakima and thule are the most popular. i myself like jacksonpt, have thule. ive had my system for...lessee...almost 9 years now. all i had to buy was new feet pad.

i do have some advice though regarding *placement*. if you decide to buy the factory rails, you will have to buy feet that slide into those rails. i will tell you that the thule ones IMHO are not very theft proof. you can literally knock them off the tracks w/a rubber mallet. ive done this before. however, mounting your system here will allow you to haul longer items (2x4s, cargo boxes, etc) much better than...

on the front! you can buy a rack system that will mount above the passenger and driver's area. the feet actually grips to the door sills, thus assuring a more theft proof option. however, you really can't put one of those long cargo boxes. and if you put 2x4s there, you'll have them hanging over the front. also, the minimum bar spread will be much less.

i've done both as you can read. which one do i prefer? after much thought, the rail mounted system is better for me. i dont live in a high crime area and i also if it gets stolen its b/c someone really wants it and they'll find a way to steal it.

feel free to ask me more questions here or email me at bobkim@4runners.org...you do have a 4runners.org email, don't you!?!?

bob
Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM

this is in regard to the 4runners email addy...how do i go about getting one??

p.s i found it on bob's page..soryr!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM

Thanks to all for the posts. I ended up checking out ebay and found the item there for $140 with one day to go.

I took the part number shown at eBay and searched Google to find it for $180 at http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/toypartpage4.htm . I ordered it from there.

I will take the J.T.'s advise to buy the torx bit especially since I was told that I should be able to install it myself. I guess that's the tool to do it with.

Andrei