Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof rack for Doublecab

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack for Doublecab

Does anyone other than Toyota make a roof rack for my Doublecab? You can not buy the kit from Toyota, you can olny buy it as individual parts (in case you damaged a factory one). By the time you ad up the price of the individual parts it is about $1500. I don't like it quite that much!

Someone else must make one. Has anyone seen one?

Thanks,
Noel
Old 10-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, two days and no one has any input. I guess that I am destined to spend $1500 or I am outa' luck.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Why not use Yakima cross bars?
That way you can mount just abut any basket such as a Yakima Load Warrior like mine, or any other type of rack.

The cross bars and moutns are not that much money.
You can browse Yaks site for the stuff they have.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:12 AM

Noel,

Like you I also have been looking for a nice roof rack for my Dcab. I didnt even know Toyota had one. Anyway, I gave some thought to the possibility of buying the Nissan Frontier's roofracks and peeling the Nissan sticker off. These shouldn't be too expensive since they are pretty much standard on Dcab's, it should fine too. Just a thought. If you do find out the price, let me know.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Corey, go with a Yakima or Thule rack. I am looking to add one to my 4Runner in the next couple of months. Check Ebay. They have alot of them up for auction over there.

Matt
Old 10-14-2002, 06:14 AM

Finally, I can make a contribution to the forum! I've been down the exact same road on the rack issue. The Toyota rack is just not an option due to cost. The idea of drilling a bunch of holes in the roof of my new truck does not appeal to me anyway. I think Toyota does something special to the roof when the OEM rack is factory installed. At least that is what I was told when I asked the dealer.

A friend of mine and I did a good bit of research. We found the only good clamp on roof rack is made by Yakima. They have an application that fits the doublecab (Thule does not, or did not 4 or 5 months ago). My buddy, who also has a double cab, went w/ the Yakima rack. He purchased his rack online (sorry, don't know where) for slightly south of $200. His only complaint is wind noise. In fact, because of that, he removes the rack when it is not in use.

Another option, the one I went with, is a rack made by Trac Rac (see www.tracrac.com) This set up clamps to the top rails of your bed instead on the roof. There are two basic models, as you will see on their web site. I went with the less expensive one, the one that clamps directly on the truck's bed rail (not the model with the full sliding/adjustible racks). I think I paid 4 or 5 bills for my rack, which is pretty expensive but a far cry from the Toyota non-option. You can't buy directly from the manufacturer. I ordered mine from the local Truck Options retail store. As I see it, the advantages are: no wind noise, Heavy duty; they can hold something like 400 lbs, easy and quick to take off and put on, and look cool.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

I am actually looking for a rack that runs from the front to back. Not side to side like the Yakima racks. I must admit, my motovation for finding one is more for looks than it is for function. I might use it to transport items but it would be very rare. I am going to beg Toyota for a deal on one. Who knows, I might get lucky. I don't think that I will not be happy with the rack unless it looks like the Toyota one.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:14 PM

I was reading on the TTORA forum. A couple of guys were looking at getting this done.
One guy had it done to his 02 D-cab. The rack does not come in a kit but rather separate parts. After all was said and done the cost was over 1K.
I understand your delima. I saw the roof rack on a new D-cab and it looks damn sweet. Kicks ass over the Nissan Front-ever-ma-jiggit rack.