Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rock carnage and roll cage ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the looks of an exterior roll cage so here's mine. It can get in the way sometimes but I still love it. It's the most up to date pics I have but I can take better ones if you would like. They'll have to wait until I get it back from the shop though.

Rock carnage and roll cage ???-96-4runner-5.jpg

Rock carnage and roll cage ???-96-4runner-6.jpg

Rock carnage and roll cage ???-96-4runner-7.jpg
Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 AM

i damaged my link similar to this thanks for postin so many great ideas guys very helpful.

Future thats a sick rig...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I do my cage, mine will be a partial exo. Something minimal. I do wheel in trees, a lot of trees. They got my rear glass before, I'm wanting to chop the top like a 4 door truck or tube bed it at the same time.

Like this

or this

or this
Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
here you go, you basically just cut out part of your firewall by the tire and weld in new sheet metal for clearance. I'll be doing it to mine when I hit 35's

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/ar...y-lift-height/

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/news.php?id=48

It's 3/16ths now, It's not fully welded around it and there is a small gap where the tank changes slope. Water drains out of it. I'm not worried about rust, i should bash this one in or have moved the gas tank way before it rusts through.

I will be doing all of this pretty soon. Awesome post man!

As for the roll cage in futures rig I like it, I would just do it to the full width of the truck, if that makes sense, espically in the back I would have it come pretty close to the trim peices on the sides. The way he did would be alot simplier to build though.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM

My way may be simpler but think about it first. The way I have it takes up alot of room and can make it hard to haul big things in the back because you have to work around the roll cage. I don't have any problems with it but like I said, I don't need to haul anything large in the back. The way you said will keep it more open in the back and may suit you better depending on your needs. If you consider what your needs will be, it will make your choice alot simpler.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by FutureSEAL16
If you consider what your needs will be, it will make your choice alot simpler.

Exactly, everyone's wheeling is different
Old 11-12-2009, 01:53 PM

I hear ya future, you make a good point. I just need to stuff a 35 inch spare back there, takin up as less space as possible. I drew up the cage in drafting the other day. I post pics up some time soon.

BTW way just got back from work(Discount Tire) and I am going to buy 35 inch BFG KM2's. The price? $118 a tire after rebates. I love my job!

I cut my front and rear fenders today. Took off almost an inch front and rear all the way around the arch of the fender. The rear was kind of a pain cause I had to weld the 2 pieces of sheet back together after cutting. Then went down to a paint store and got molding, then silconed it on the fender. Looks clean! I am hoping it wont be too hard to cut through the firewall :o
Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM

can you get me some then? :p
Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 PM

yeah just give me your bumpers.... ;0
Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

if you really think that you need a roll cage, why the hell would you put it inside? so all the body panels would be wrinkled and crushed? makes no sense to me. only way that makes since IF you wheel that hard, which most dont, is an exterior roll cage.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fireteacher
if you really think that you need a roll cage, why the hell would you put it inside? so all the body panels would be wrinkled and crushed? makes no sense to me. only way that makes since IF you wheel that hard, which most dont, is an exterior roll cage.
Well for the most part a roll cage is meant to save your life in some sort of a rollover or accident. Whether on the inside or outside, this is it's main purpose. Some people may want to do an exterior roll cage to try and prevent body damage but if you are in a big enough rollover you'll still have body damage because it's not gonna hold 100% integrity. An exterior cage may also cause extra drag on the road which may not be wanted on a DD rig. An exterior roll cage also makes your rig wider and I personally don't care for the way they look. So in the the end the main purpose is to keep you safe and alive and all other purposes come after that.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by fireteacher
Yes I understand for your rig with fancy wood grain dash, sub, and flip out stereo touch screen thingy it would not make sense but I really KNOW I need a roll cage. And I dont really care about body panels, I care about me going to work on monday and not getting me or my friends/family hurt when things go wrong. And Yes I wheel that hard, its not my DD. And for the most part, exo cages are stupid.

Last edited by cpizzle42; 11-16-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Yes I understand for your rig with fancy wood grain dash, sub, and flip out stereo touch screen thingy
This 4runner has all the above

In general an internal cage is going to be stronger than an exterior one, but it's all on preference and what you wheel in.

You west coasters actually have the opportunity to go fast, and a fast roll wouldn't be fun.

The times i've been close to rolling over, i would have just flopped on the side or maybe onto the roof, but that's about it.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM

haha and he also has more body damage then muhammad ali lee and holes cut in his hood for his hoops. but really I understand what your getting at. Everyones rig is used differently. And Fireteacher did not ask me what I used mine for, before he started assuming I did not need an internal cage. Thats all.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

yeah so i have a limited, stereo, and sub! wow!!! If i wanted to direct the post to you, i would have put your name in it. as it was, it was a general statement which i believe is true. so the point of you having a cage is so you can "fly"? i just couldnt find any wheeling picks in your posts. closet i have ever come to rolling would have just laid me on my side.

not starting here buddy, making my point. in the end you can do whatever you want to your rig, no matter how silly to me or anyone else. your toy, have fun!!!