Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ring and pinion and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ring and pinion and other questions

Hey Guys. I was on all pros website tonight and noticed they had Hypinion R&P Gears. What exactly is Ring and Pinion Gears? It says '4.88 or 5.29 reverse cut gears direct from the original equipment supplier for Toyota' What does that mean? Are these like regular gears? I was looking for Gears for my truck that came with 4.10's so is this what I would need? What am I looking for as far as Gears are concerned? Be specific! Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These (pic below) are ring and pinion gears. It's what you have in your axles that make the tires go... "Original Equipment Supplier" (commonly called the OEM) means the outfit that actually manufacturers and supplies various individual parts and assemblies to the vehicle manufacturers.

You might want to use the handy Search feature on this board, and use Google or your search engine of choice. There is more information than you ever wanted to know readily available. Also, look at things like lockers, limited slips, etc. Start here: http://www.reiderracing.com/ Explore the site, they provide a lot of useful info.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoorfever
Hey Guys. I was on all pros website tonight and noticed they had Hypinion R&P Gears. What exactly is Ring and Pinion Gears? It says '4.88 or 5.29 reverse cut gears direct from the original equipment supplier for Toyota' What does that mean? Are these like regular gears? I was looking for Gears for my truck that came with 4.10's so is this what I would need? What am I looking for as far as Gears are concerned? Be specific! Thanks in advance
Well I'm not sure, but I think the reverse cut gears are for someone who has done an SAS and is using a rear third member in the front. The high pinion gears are for high pinion 3rd members, which give more ground clearance and less drive line angle, not sure what application you can use them on, but I'm pretty sure you don't have one. Do you need new gears or a different gear ratio or both? I forget Kyle, do you have a 5-speed or auto? What size tires are you going to put on?

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-11-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nope, reverse cut gears are for the high pinion third. they don't spin the opposite direction contrary to a lot of people's beliefs. ring and pinions have a "coast" side and a "drive" side of each tooth. on a typical front axle, you're running on the coast side of the gear when going forward, which is about 30% weaker than running on the drive side of the gear. a high pinion gearset in the front reverses this, the gears are cut with the coast and drive side specially designed to run in a front axle.

all rear axles and front axles from minis use standard cut gears from the factory, i believe tacos have a high pinion 7.5 in the front. fj80 land cruisers use a high pinion 8" in the front, which can be swapped into the front of a solid axle truck

Last edited by kyle_22r; 08-11-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

lol so are these ok to buy? I am still kinda confused...

Dale: I have 31 inch tires right now. That was an upgrade 3 yrs ago from 27 inch stock tires. I looked on the door for my sticker that would tell me the normal gear ratio, but I am almost for certain its 4.10. I just changed my spark plugs and am still getting the same kind of mileage so I figured I would put in some new gears not only to help with mileage but for when I am off road as well. btw, I have an auto and have been reading that with auto's you need to go higher ratio since the power is different.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:47 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=outdoorfever]lol so are these ok to buy? I am still kinda confused...

Just buy them from a reputable shop (obviously you'll be having them installed - just let them worry about it) and they'll be sure to sell you the correct gears. Even if you feel strongly enough to specify a certain brand of gears, that's all you have to do. They'll get them and make sure they order what fits.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

cool, thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
nope, reverse cut gears are for the high pinion third. they don't spin the opposite direction contrary to a lot of people's beliefs. ring and pinions have a "coast" side and a "drive" side of each tooth. on a typical front axle, you're running on the coast side of the gear when going forward, which is about 30% weaker than running on the drive side of the gear. a high pinion gearset in the front reverses this, the gears are cut with the coast and drive side specially designed to run in a front axle.

all rear axles and front axles from minis use standard cut gears from the factory, i believe tacos have a high pinion 7.5 in the front. fj80 land cruisers use a high pinion 8" in the front, which can be swapped into the front of a solid axle truck
Kyle_22r, thanks for seting me straight on that. I learned something.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
lol so are these ok to buy? I am still kinda confused...

Dale: I have 31 inch tires right now. That was an upgrade 3 yrs ago from 27 inch stock tires. I looked on the door for my sticker that would tell me the normal gear ratio, but I am almost for certain its 4.10. I just changed my spark plugs and am still getting the same kind of mileage so I figured I would put in some new gears not only to help with mileage but for when I am off road as well. btw, I have an auto and have been reading that with auto's you need to go higher ratio since the power is different.
Kyle (in Tulsa), Toyota engineers decided that the best gear ratio for 31" tires with an auto tranny was 4.88:1. I know because that's what mine came with from the factory. I thought from the very beginning that the Toyota engineers were mistaken however, because my new truck (in 1993) couldn't pull a slight incline in OD (4th gear) and would drop itself down into 3rd gear and scream at about 4500 rpms all the way up the incline.

I think that 5.29:1 would be great with 31 inch tires and the auto tranny, and is liveable with 33 inch tires, but just barely. The only time you may not be happy with 5.29 gears and 31's is if you are going with a strong tail wind or down hill or both and have a speed limit of about 80 mph with the traffic flow doing about 85-90 mph.

Don't expect the gear change to make much difference in MPG though. I have kept track of my mileage at EVERY fill-up since 1993 and tried 4.88 gears with 31's and 33's, 5.71 gears with 33's, and 5.29 gears with 33's. And the MPG remained about constant through it all.

I'm running US Gears and I got them in Tulsa.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-11-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you Flamed, Dale and Kyle for the information. I will PM any one of you if i have anymore questions. thanks again, Kyle