Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replaceed Axle Seals and Possible Cause of Prolem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Replaceed Axle Seals (Possible Cause of Problem?)

I replaced the rear axle seals. I decided not to go with Jay's advice about replacing the wheel bearings. I didn't do this, because the seals only cost me $14 and the Pads another $25ish. I don't have anything to pull the wheel bearings with and I didn't want to pay big $$$ to have Toyota do it for me. Hopefully I won't be posting anytime soon about having to do this job all over again.

After closely comparing the the new seals with the old, it appears that the reason they are starting to leak is because they are getting worn, wear the axle rubs across them. There was marked difference between the two, where the old one had come in contact with the axle, and the old seal had actually left a little black mark where it had rubbed against the axle. The correct fluid level in the differntial is such that it doesn't even rise height of where the axle goes throught the seal. I think the seal is only ment to prevent the small amount of oil that gets tossed around when your driving. What I think happens over time is as this seal starts to get worn out, more oil travels down the axle and out the opening of the seal, makes it's way past the wheel bearings and leaks down onto the brake drum and in turn on the pads. I noticed this problem getting worse over about a 3 month period, and from what I can tell, it was happening on a very gradual basis on both sides. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't just a faulty seal, it was just the natural wear and progression of an faulty design. The level of the oil in my differntial was almost exactly wear it is meant to be, which leads me to believe that if it wasn't for my break pads swelling up I could have kept driving indefinity until my wheel bearings eventually possibly would go out. If you check and changed your differential oi level often enough, you would never loose enough oil for it to go bad. I'm willing to bet those guys that have a limited edition, rairly have this problem, because they have disk brakes in the back. I think I'm correct is saying that the gear oil would probably not run onto their disk and they wouldn't have this problem. The reason we have this problem is because the drum brakes do a good job of catching what oil leaks out, and causes it to run across the pads.

On another note. For those of you that might be following the direction on the tech forum for replacing the seals, or removing their rear drums they might find it helful to know that you can thread a bult into two of the holes on the drum to pry it loose. When you go to remove the old seal, I used a pair of wire cutters to carefull cut the seal in two places, and then I carefully reach in with a pair of vicegips and grabbed the seal, twisted it slightly so it started to collapse on itself, and then pulled it back out. Be very carefull in doing this though. Also if you don't have a a socket that is a big as the seal, I found that a can of Cambells Chunky Chicken soup worked really great in helping tap the seal into back into it's correct position.:rolleyes:

Adam

Last edited by getchellad; 12-06-2002 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:12 PM

That is a pretty good description of what seems to be happening. It happened to me too! You should send your imput to Toyota and see what they think. Maby they will reply...
It would be nice if they did a re-call.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

My friend Ronn and I just repaired the pass. rear axle seal on my '98 Taco. It is the 2nd seal I have had go bad in 90K miles. (which I can't complain about considering where I've taken the truck and what I have done with it.) I did replace the inner and outer seal as well as the bearings. FYI, Toyota wanted about $120 for parts and $160 for labor (plus tax).

True, you can drive around with a leaky axle seal and not really hurt anything. BUT, something to consider - if the oil can get out, then stuff can get in. Especially water! If you do a creek crossing and your hot diff submerges in cool water, it will contract and suck air through the breather to equalize the pressure. If you have a leaky seal, it will suck through that opening as well, only it might not be air. I would also be concerned that fine particulates may work their way in there and that's no good. (even brake dust).