Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

removing plastic lower valence

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing plastic lower valence

i couldn't really find what i was looking for on yt about removing the lower valence on the runner. i want to get it painted to match the rest of my runner and cut into the valence for some hella ff75s. - how do you remove the lower plastic valence on the 96 4runner? - thankx in advance!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 PM

I was thinking about doing the same and the only way I see possible is to cut it off. A buddy of mine cut his off and installed some fog lights. ToyTech76, who is on this forum has done it so you might wanna PM him and ask him for pointers. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ummm don't you just remove the fasteners ?

I've taken mine off before to see what it would look like, I don't remember how but I dont think it was that hard
Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM

I took mine off and its just some bolt/screw thingies lol cutting it off would just make it more difficult IMO
Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I did this to my 98 so the locations of the screws will be the same on your 96. If you want to remove the bumper to do this it does make it easier, but if you don't want to remove the bumper then these pictues will show you where the bolts are located. Hope this helps.
Name:  trucklite04.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  27.3 KBName:  trucklite05.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  25.6 KBName:  trucklite03-1.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  26.2 KB

There are 3 on each end and two in the middle section.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 06-25-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM

sweet pics & info peeps! i'll have to do this tomorrow after work. i'm thinkin of fabricating sum brackets to stick out a little so i can mount the fogs. idk but i can't get myself to just cut the little 6" piece of valence i need. i don't want to cut into my baby! lol but we'll see. thankx for the help & pics
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Totally understand your reluctance to want to "cut holes in my baby" but for me it was a bit easier as I already had a slight break in the lower valence.

As you can see I have a pair of driving/fog lights mounted in my lower valence that came off a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. Mounted to the lower radiator support, they are positioned almost in the center of the lower valence on either side of the license plate. I had to cut holes for them as they are set back a few inches.
Name:  4runner149a.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  56.5 KB

Also if you want to talk about nervous, imagine cutting holes in your prefectly good fender!
Name:  Sidemarker019.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  8.5 KB

Not to make you more nervous, it looks worse then it really is and you can see my complete install of the LED side markers I installed that came off a 2005 VW Beetle. A very worthwhile and sharp looking mod that looks OEM.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/l...lights-138663/

Lots of fun mods you can do if you have some skills and are not too afraid to give it a go. Plenty of help here too believe me. All you have to do is ask!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 06-25-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM

looks like i'll have to cut into the valence. it would be that thin horizontal piece right above where Ritz has his lights done. where could i mount the foglights for support tho? anyone do this? or would i have to fab some bracket to hang down. i noticed that there are about 1/2" holes drilled on the underside of the chrome bumper and what seems to be strategicly placed at equal ends, again just inline above where Ritz has his lights. could i fab brackets onto those holes and bring the lights to the horizontal thin pieces?

-Ritz, i've seen your write up and the sidemarker stuff. its hella tite but i think i'd cry cutting into my baby and prolly my shorts haha. maybe ... just maybe i might do that after a few beers - no, hard A for this.

Last edited by O.State4runner; 06-23-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by O.State4runner
I noticed that there are about 1/2" holes drilled on the underside of the chrome bumper and what seems to be strategicly placed at equal ends, again just inline above where Ritz has his lights. could i fab brackets onto those holes and bring the lights to the horizontal thin pieces?
Those holes are for factory/dealer installed fog/driving lights. Depending on the lights, you could mount them yourself. Check eBay for the Toyota light harness. I found one and cost me about $20 so it made the install of my driving lights a bit easier when it came time to wire them up. I have an OEM looking switch for those Pontiac driving/fogs you see. You could fab a couple of angle brackets to bolt to those holes so the only thing that is holding you back is you!

Originally Posted by O.State4runner
-Ritz, i've seen your write up and the sidemarker stuff. its hella tite but i think i'd cry cutting into my baby and prolly my shorts haha. maybe ... just maybe i might do that after a few beers - no, hard A for this.
LOL, yeah like I said I can understand your hesitation. You have to be comfortable with your ability to do the mods that require cutting, fabbing, splicing etc. Find a few of the simple mods that are within your own ability to perform and you feel comfortable completing to build your confidence. After you get it done, take a step back and admire, telling yourself "I did it!" Smile and progress to the next mod.

Anytime you "cut" its really hard to backtrack if you fubar it! Once you make that first cut, drill, weld, and actually start, its too late to go back. So if its beyond your ability, wait till you think you can handle it or get someone to help you. Remember, when you do a mod someone else has had sucess doing, it can be done so just study the procedure, think each step through before you perform it, take your time and enjoy the bonding experience with your truck. Sure you will suffer some anxiety and everything will not alwasys go as you thought it should but the anxious feelings will start to fade into exuberance by the time you finish. A "few beers" might not be a good way to start that mod but an excellent way to celebrate the finish!

When I saw the side marker mod on here the first time, I really liked it. I held out for awhile studing how it had been done before and about how I wanted mine to look. During this wait time is when I found the LED side markers and that clinched it for me. I had done some add on clearance lights to my Ford Courier back in the mid 70's which required my using knockout punches and a few other tools I never had used before. I mounted the 60's style Plymouth side markers and hood blinkers to my truck. So yeah there was a bit of anxiety with making permanent changes to my truck. Once I got it finished they looked really sweet. So once you get over the adversion to doing something that is permanent to your truck, it really does get easier.

Remember, here at Yotatech, almost everyone here has done some sort of permanent mod to their vehicle, and like I have said before, we do it to make it "our own" There may be other trucks out there with a similar mod. When you get that first one done you can say with a bit of pride," no one has one just like mine!" And if you are still a bit afraid to do it, find a buddy you totally trust that has the skills and do it together, now that is time well spent with your "Baby" Cheers
Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Those holes are for factory/dealer installed fog/driving lights. Depending on the lights, you could mount them yourself. Check eBay for the Toyota light harness. I found one and cost me about $20 so it made the install of my driving lights a bit easier when it came time to wire them up. I have an OEM looking switch for those Pontiac driving/fogs you see. You could fab a couple of angle brackets to bolt to those holes so the only thing that is holding you back is you!
sounds sweet. i was doing sum ruff ACAD on what the front bumper would look like with the ff75 fogs sticking out. looks like a 3" pimple lol. i'm just going to cut the thin horizontal valence and mount the fogs to them factory holes. less work in measuring equal lengths for me! i'm getting the Hella ff75 foglight kit so it should work out fine since it comes with the wiring harness and all. also plan on getting silvania ultras for driving & these xenon yellows from autoalumination.com.

ritz- thankx for your help! i'm constantly reading YT at least an hour a day. only wish i had the balls & money to do more mods. i was thinking of train horns or air horns next, prolly the air horns (cheaper way). thankx again.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that valence will stay painted for too long. It's almost rubber. An encounter with a rolling shopping cart will bend it 45 degrees and then your paint/clear will just peel off.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
I doubt that valence will stay painted for too long. It's almost rubber. An encounter with a rolling shopping cart will bend it 45 degrees and then your paint/clear will just peel off.
There are specially made plastic paints designed to be applied over plastic parts using special primers. Any reputable body shop will have or can get a quality paint that will adhere to the plastic valence when applied properly.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM

i was just thinking about that little issue that may come about. i figure i'd save the money and buy that valence with foglights from burtmanindustries ... but then again thats lots of $! well that mod may be out the door. still working on the fogs. getting them from autoanything.com. pretty decent since their prices on the fogs dropped $15!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
There are specially made plastic paints designed to be applied over plastic parts using special primers. Any reputable body shop will have or can get a quality paint that will adhere to the plastic valence when applied properly.
Are you talking from experience? I don't know any "special" paint or primers that will bend as much as the front valence on the 4Runner can be bent with one finger. There is a difference between painting plastic bumpers or fenders that bend just a little bit, and this valence.