Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start

with winter quickly approaching, i was wondering which of you guys have it and what is a good system? also, it seems that my car locks when i start it up, so if i got remote start would it unlock with the FOB or would i have to manually use the key? thanks!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 AM

I don't know of any other 4Runners that autolock when you start it up. There was another thread not long ago talking about how somebody took their rig in and it already had keyless entry, but he didn't know until he took it in. It sound like somebody may have installed it on yours and ran off with the fob. If that's the case, you can just add remote start to your system.

Answering your other question, I have a Clifford Matrix RS2. There is an RS3 out with an LCD fob that does some really neat tricks. I'm sure Corey will chime in and tell you how much better his is. He has the pager that goes off when your alarm goes off. I like that a lot. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 10-01-2003, 10:05 AM

I am not Corey but I did stay in the Holiday Inn Last night !

I have Viper 790XV alarm with remote start and LCD Key Fob/Pager. I believe Directed Electronics make both the Cliffoed and the Viper.

Excellent functionality, works a charm and (in relaitive terms) is a little more secure that the factory system.

The remote start works up to about a mile (line of sight) and will page you with alerts, status etc. My only criticism is the remote weights about 30lbs

They have a new one that I will get free of charge in 2 weeks.

BTW, in my 03, you can program the car to lock on "D" or at 12 mph. Unlock on "P" and many other combos.

Its all in the owners manula and is not part of the factory security system.

David
Old 10-01-2003, 01:37 PM

ok, thanks guys...i want to get it but i dont want to lug around 2 fobs..one for door and alarm and another for remote start..i will look into your suggestions and see which is best suited for my situation. thanks guys
Old 10-02-2003, 05:32 AM

Clin,

The way they set up my Viper...I can use just one remote, the Viper one.

The Toy ones just do remote locking so live in the house in case I ever need them (good for service ?) and the Viper one does everything .

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 10-02-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:11 AM

The Remote Start feature is GREAT!! I have had my DEI brand installed on my Runner for 6 years now. DEI makes the Viper, Python, Sidewinder brands. I use it in both hot and cold weather to start up the truck so that it is comfortable inside when I get out to it. My remote start feature was a plug in add onto my existing Python alarm....it cost about $100 installed

The Viper 790VX that nrgetic99 refers to is the latest technology of DEI products and will be the one that I get installed on my next truck. I have friends that own a alarm/stereo shop and they do exactly what nrgetic99 said, the Viper alarm allows you to use both the factory alarm and the Viper alarm with the Viper's fob. Several U.S. Marshall's were having these installed on their Suburban's and they liked the idea that only one fob could be used to operate both alarms......the factory alarm allows for the lights on the vehicle to turn on which allows them to see around the truck at night. They wanted to retain that feature as well as to have the remote start function of the Viper.

That Viper alarm also has great range and if I am not mistaken has a pager that shows on the LCD screen on the fob what sensor was triggered.

David

(btw, that Holiday Inn Express remark cracked me up!)
Old 10-02-2003, 11:24 AM

I have a viper 790xv too, how are you getting a new remote for free? I heard they had some problem with the old remote before. I'd love to get a smaller remote, is the new one smaller and have whatever they problem they were having fixed? I wonder if my dealer will give me a new remote if my current remote is working fine now.

thanks,
rich

Originally posted by nrgetic99
I am not Corey but I did stay in the Holiday Inn Last night !

I have Viper 790XV alarm with remote start and LCD Key Fob/Pager. I believe Directed Electronics make both the Cliffoed and the Viper.

Excellent functionality, works a charm and (in relaitive terms) is a little more secure that the factory system.

The remote start works up to about a mile (line of sight) and will page you with alerts, status etc. My only criticism is the remote weights about 30lbs

They have a new one that I will get free of charge in 2 weeks.

BTW, in my 03, you can program the car to lock on "D" or at 12 mph. Unlock on "P" and many other combos.

Its all in the owners manula and is not part of the factory security system.

David
Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 PM

well, if that Viper alarm works with my stock alarm and door locks, i'd be REALLY happy...one fob is all i want to carry and if i get a pager, that'd ROCK!!! thank you all for the info..i will inquire with a Viper dealer to see the compatibility...wow, gettin me excited about it...thanks guys!

Last edited by CLin9383; 10-02-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:23 PM

One word of advice: install the remote start yourself or let only someone you trust very well! The installation would be a pretty invasive procedure to the under-dash wiring and poor contact/short/failed relay would leave you stranded, if not worse.

Last edited by 4RUNR; 10-02-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:22 PM

Black Widow

I got the Black Widow Alarm System installed on my 95. It works great and has a 2way FM pager, LCD display of the car's status ( hah it even has a little picture of a car on the keychain that lets you know if its locked, unlocked, has the engine running, or if someone is tampering with it), remote start, and tons of features. On mine, the doors lock when the vehicle is started...and this is probably a good thing because if you start it up while you are far away, some fella could get in and jack with your ride...not good.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I got the same viper alarm too and it is a great alarm. The auto start feature is great to warm up the car and to cool/heat up the interior before getting in. It also comes with an autolock/unlock feature so whenever you turn the ignition to on it locks the doors automatically and when you turn it off it unlocks automatically. Very handy feature. If you have more than one remote theres an aux channel on the lcd remote so you can program another function into it so you wouldnt have to have more than one remote at once considering the viper remote is pretty big itself. Also I think that dei also makes a bypass module that could bypass the old alarm or something like that too so you could check that out. Hey nrgetic99, how are you going to get the free new remote? I would love to get a smaller remote. and richardyc what problems have you haerd about the old big lcd remotes? I havent had any problems with it . . . . yet.